SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:25 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,602 Posts
Good to hear. I might be getting a 71 gasser tomorrow, so I'll be having questions and minor issues as well.
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:39 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,573 Posts
Ohio Huckfest was Great!!!

I just got back from the ohio huckfest. I went ther at 8 in the morning and stayed until around 8:30 at night. I got two flights in with my 47'' extra, then I broke the prop and could not fly anymore with it. The king 50 was great and for anyone who does not know Joe Smith won the event. I am convinced next year I am going to bring a tent and stay for all three days. Joe smith put on a great demo with his 103'' electric extra 330sc. Everything was inches off the ground. I seen he had a 57'' extra and asked him what he thought of it verses the 58'' edge and 59'' slick and he told me for 3D he prefers the extra. that sold me, I have changed my mind from a 59" slick to a 57" extra. Also I got to see joe fly the new vyper bipe and it looked awesome.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:09 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
Went to Orielly auto parts and bought all the CM-6 they had per quadracers suggestion of a replacement. Got a few spares now and only $3.50 each. Took the plug out and it was just coated in oil as I think the gas evaporates off and leaves the oily mess. Replaced the plug after flipping the motor 10 times to clear in out. Could not find a gap spec for the plug so just popped it in there. Turned the needles down per racerman.

Flipped in ten times about and bang! Fired up. Good start but when gave it gas it would sort of fall on its face anything over half throttle and would start to sputter real bad at full throttle. Adjusted the high speed needle a quarter turn fat and tried again. Made a big difference up top so I let it run for the 10 seconds they say for in the manual. After that is was a little rough in the upper middle. Adjusted the low speed needle just a little fatter and boom its running like a champ. I've got it to the point it starts on the second or third flip.

Thanks a ton guys!!!!
Congrats! ....you just took your first steps into tuning.......have fun and remember.... a little bit too rich is always better than a little bit too lean.. the tuning is going to change as the engine breaks in so be prepared to adjust it as necessary.... I put straws over my mixture screws (with a brace on the side of the firewall) so i can adjust the carb without having the take off the cowl...

makes fine tuning the engine a snap.

racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:45 PM
Glens Falls, NY
Joined Apr 2010
1,296 Posts
Saw some talk of garage sales a couple pages back. That motivated me to get some pics of my garage sale V1 Velox. Hope it's alright to post them. The only garage sale plane I have (no one wanted it!) But makes me .

didn't mean for the thumbnails to be so big, sorry...
TG43 is offline Find More Posts by TG43
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:49 PM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,178 Posts
Love the yellow Velox, and the bottom is even unique (to the Velox) as well.... sweet!
weaser42 is online now Find More Posts by weaser42
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:13 AM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
I just got back from the ohio huckfest. I went ther at 8 in the morning and stayed until around 8:30 at night. I got two flights in with my 47'' extra, then I broke the prop and could not fly anymore with it. The king 50 was great and for anyone who does not know Joe Smith won the event. I am convinced next year I am going to bring a tent and stay for all three days. Joe smith put on a great demo with his 103'' electric extra 330sc. Everything was inches off the ground. I seen he had a 57'' extra and asked him what he thought of it verses the 58'' edge and 59'' slick and he told me for 3D he prefers the extra. that sold me, I have changed my mind from a 59" slick to a 57" extra. Also I got to see joe fly the new vyper bipe and it looked awesome.
I avoided the 59 slick. I focus on 3d so I have a 42 and 51" slick, but since the 59 was designed differently I opted to go with the 60" EF edge exp, and I'm glad I did. If the 59" slick flew like the others I would have gone slick! I really wish that 59" got a V2 designed like the others, I would never stop flying it!
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:49 AM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
RF6
huckin
addict
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:32 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
RF6
huckin
addict
I've really been enjoying your latest Slick variant. It seems to have the right weight to it now!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:49 PM
Team Hillbilly
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I've really been enjoying your latest Slick variant. It seems to have the right weight to it now!
Thanks. Are you talking about the gasser?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:03 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
Thanks. Are you talking about the gasser?
Yea - the new gas Slick you just posted. It flies somewhere between my 51" Slick and my 57" Extra. Love it!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:22 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
I was gonna tell you the same tom. It's like sex in the air.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Last edited by davebloomer; Aug 19, 2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:36 PM
Team Hillbilly
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer View Post
I was gonna tell you the same tom. It's like sex in the air.

anyone up for some flying?
RF6
3dhs addict
I'm there but it looks like your frozen up. LOL
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:45 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Just got my pc and am waiting for my rf6 upgrade disk. I ordered it 2 weeks ago and it got lost in shipment! So pissed!
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:21 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
Went to Orielly auto parts and bought all the CM-6 they had per quadracers suggestion of a replacement. Got a few spares now and only $3.50 each. Took the plug out and it was just coated in oil as I think the gas evaporates off and leaves the oily mess. Replaced the plug after flipping the motor 10 times to clear in out. Could not find a gap spec for the plug so just popped it in there. Turned the needles down per racerman.

Flipped in ten times about and bang! Fired up. Good start but when gave it gas it would sort of fall on its face anything over half throttle and would start to sputter real bad at full throttle. Adjusted the high speed needle a quarter turn fat and tried again. Made a big difference up top so I let it run for the 10 seconds they say for in the manual. After that is was a little rough in the upper middle. Adjusted the low speed needle just a little fatter and boom its running like a champ. I've got it to the point it starts on the second or third flip.

Thanks a ton guys!!!!
A great "gap tool" for a CM6 plug is a #11 exacto blade...perfect and everyone has one of these....typically they come a little tight...just slide the #11 in there to set them the same every time....taught to me by Mr. Jackie Willard...an older fellow in the south that has been hucking with CM6 plugs for many years and always has great running engines.....little tips like this make the world of gas easy....

Let me know if you have any trouble getting that GT33 running well...it should be really easy...they are great engines...I love mine!! PM with any questions you have on engine tuning, I'd be glad to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
Glad you made it...see you next time for sure. For what it's worth, I flew Joe's 57 this morning...then bought one from Noll...I have an old one but it's beaten and heavy with glue...I really like the 57's...it's one of the best all-around airframes available in any size. PM if you have any questions on setup, my first one has well over 100 flights and I can't wait to fly the new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsubsailor View Post
some pics from Joe's King 50
Glen...I really wish you'd have gotten pics like that of my one-trick attempts.....
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member