SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:43 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,072 Posts
Steve we already had this discussion... what is it going to take for you to hit the check out button? I bet you already have it in your cart
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:50 PM
Landings are not optional
Van Nuys, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,805 Posts
Or hold out for the Byper, same gear...
DeuceTrinal is offline Find More Posts by DeuceTrinal
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:55 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Steve we already had this discussion... what is it going to take for you to hit the check out button? I bet you already have it in your cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceTrinal View Post
Or hold out for the Byper, same gear...
No...not in the cart yet, but might be by tomorrow...And yes, there is the Byper if it ever comes out... I like bipes, and like the idea that this one is supposed to be "very" easy to transport due to the mounting of the wings....And...I also have $50.00 worth of gift certificates to know the price down. If I had bought my 89" Slick through 3DHS instead of AeroModel, I would have enough to just use points to buy it....but I took the cash discounts I got there instead...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:28 AM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7x70 View Post
You know I thought of that but was thinking it might be buffeted to bad by the wind in transport... kinda risky to just try to see....

experience with that anyone?
i have an ratcheting spreader bar in the bed of my truck that i bungee my LG to. $25 at orielly's auto. i transport a 71 and a 74 to the field that way at over 60mph and they stay put very well. i use blue painters tape on the rudder and elevator to keep them from flapping in the wind. i don't want to show up to the field with a stripped servo. it works very well and i have transported them many many times that way.
lammbn is online now Find More Posts by lammbn
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:34 AM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
No...not in the cart yet, but might be by tomorrow...And yes, there is the Byper if it ever comes out... I like bipes, and like the idea that this one is supposed to be "very" easy to transport due to the mounting of the wings....And...I also have $50.00 worth of gift certificates to know the price down. If I had bought my 89" Slick through 3DHS instead of AeroModel, I would have enough to just use points to buy it....but I took the cash discounts I got there instead...

SteveT
the thing that gets me about the byper is the packs needed. every plane i have uses 3s 2200's or 6s 5000's either single or in series. i have thought about doing a "heavy" 51 slick build with two 3s 2200 packs like i do on the 57 and 58 since i hear such good things about the 51. i would love a byper but just dont dont want to have to do a heavy build or buy different packs. i have a great bipe already, not 3dhs, but it sits in my storage unit RTF because right now i'm too stubborn to fly anything not 3dhs. it really doesn't fly half bad either...
lammbn is online now Find More Posts by lammbn
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:58 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammbn View Post
the thing that gets me about the byper is the packs needed. every plane i have uses 3s 2200's or 6s 5000's either single or in series. i have thought about doing a "heavy" 51 slick build with two 3s 2200 packs like i do on the 57 and 58 since i hear such good things about the 51. i would love a byper but just dont dont want to have to do a heavy build or buy different packs. i have a great bipe already, not 3dhs, but it sits in my storage unit RTF because right now i'm too stubborn to fly anything not 3dhs. it really doesn't fly half bad either...
That would be a super heavy 51. losifanatic has a video of him flying his with somewhere in the neighborhood of 4s 4000 mah. It still flies good and has even more energy in tumbles etc. that what it is known for. I think he commented that it definitely felt heavy though.

Here is the vid from his blog.

Maiden of the over weight 51" slick (5 min 6 sec)
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:20 AM
United States, NY, Medford
Joined Oct 2008
386 Posts
Not too bad!!!
That thing has crazy power!!!!
pryor808 is offline Find More Posts by pryor808
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:53 AM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Nice, shipping notice on 87 SHP. Didn't realize they sent that big of stuff through UPS Ground.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:07 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,464 Posts
It weighed 70oz and put out 1100watts. The Motrolfly 3615 is an amazing motor. Yeah you could feel the weight but it wasn't to bad.
losifanatic is online now Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:17 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Lost the 57 SC last night to a weak pack that had a voltage dropout and Rebooted the Spektrum AR500. Even the Capacitor did not prevent this one, went too low, 1-2 cells dipped.

Been thinking.... Question for you Power Systems Guru's....

If I had a BEC Pro hanging off the ICE 100 Lite, would that have kept the voltage regulated long enough that the Receiver would have stayed Online? Not Dipped for a sec, but held the Regulated Voltage to the Receiver?

By watching my vid, it was a WOT vertical for 50 ft, then everything shutdown. No LVC (disabled) on the ESC, Error Codes on ESC and Receiver said Receiver Recycled.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:17 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,012 Posts
Are these the wire keepers you guys are using? Do they work well?

http://www.shop.aztechaeromodels.com...?categoryId=-1
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:53 PM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Lost the 57 SC last night to a weak pack that had a voltage dropout and Rebooted the Spektrum AR500. Even the Capacitor did not prevent this one, went too low, 1-2 cells dipped.

Been thinking.... Question for you Power Systems Guru's....

If I had a BEC Pro hanging off the ICE 100 Lite, would that have kept the voltage regulated long enough that the Receiver would have stayed Online? Not Dipped for a sec, but held the Regulated Voltage to the Receiver?

By watching my vid, it was a WOT vertical for 50 ft, then everything shutdown. No LVC (disabled) on the ESC, Error Codes on ESC and Receiver said Receiver Recycled.
I doubt an external BEC would have acted any different than the internal ESC one in that case. I had 2 cells fail in a 5s pack in flight on a heli, and the CC BEC Pro completely shut down. The problem is the sudden change in voltage can screw with what it considers ground, even if the the pack would still have enough voltage to power the BEC normally. The only thing that will save you in that case is a separate receiver pack.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:27 PM
President @ Acadian RC Club
Lafayette, Louisiana
Joined Dec 2005
1,233 Posts
no shipping notices yet.

1 for the Osiris.... 1 for the Edge

jonathan7x70 is offline Find More Posts by jonathan7x70
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:39 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,290 Posts
Today Noll made me a very happy Fanatic. My 87" Extra has shipped
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Last edited by Ohio AV8TOR; Feb 29, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:48 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace4 View Post
I doubt an external BEC would have acted any different than the internal ESC one in that case. I had 2 cells fail in a 5s pack in flight on a heli, and the CC BEC Pro completely shut down. The problem is the sudden change in voltage can screw with what it considers ground, even if the the pack would still have enough voltage to power the BEC normally. The only thing that will save you in that case is a separate receiver pack.
Ok, that's what I was thinking, only a 2S? Batt on the Receiver would have protected it from that. Was only considering a BEC Pro for the weight difference.

I've gone all this time without incident, 190 Flights, so just got bit by an old soft and partially damaged pack.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer