HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:14 AM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Anybody here ever try the EPP Yak? I just received mine yesterday and got it built last night (must be why I have a suprise hangover today) and hope to maiden it today. I love the way it looks... hopefully it flies as good as it looks (although it could use some wheel pants).

I'm just suprised at how little activity there is on the forums about this plane.
I have one! 2nd Plane (when I got back in) after my UMX Beast! Mine was used, so it was pretty flexible, but my friend gave me another (he got a 33" EPP so he said he didn't need them) which I built and LOVE!
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:17 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,153 Posts
Well I got to maiden my 47" Extra SHP this morning before work and it went well. I started with the CG at the recommended balance at the LE of the wing tube and it was just fine giving me hands off or slight nose drop inverted depending on speed. I may experiment with a tad more forward. Slow flight and knife edge are fantastic with little to no push in KE. It was windy so I will wait for a calmer day before saying no pushing. Blenders are impressive at half power. I did not try it at full power because it dawned on my that I never gave it a once over with CA on the joints. The 130 motor is amazing on this plane with amazing vertical power and right now acceleration. I am using a Falcon 13x6.5 and it is such a featherweight the motor has instantaneous power. I bought 4 Glacier 3S 2200's 35C and they are the real deal offering lots of power when needed and was mildly warm on landing. I set my timer at 5:30 and lander with 3.82 to 3.84 average so after some more cycles are on them I will start bumping up flight time, but I am very happy with that.

For the negatives, 3DHS was out of stock on the G10 oversize servo arms so the rudder and elevator need more travel for me. I set it up expo and all per the manual but waterfalls and push overs seemed like it needed more elevator. On the down side to that I felt with maybe 25% power doing turns to like finial or approaching a hover the plane slows down faster than I expect and feels like it could snap under on me although it never did. Later flight I just compensated with more power. Along tis line it slows down on landings much faster than most of my other 3DHS planes. Not really a bad thing just something to get used to. It actually made for a nice "almost" harrier landing on my last flight. It was not high alpha but definitely nose high attitude and slow to a 3-point.

All and all I extremely happy. I am still waiting for my custom American flag from Rob at ADC to match my 87" plus I am still cutting out some more flames on the cowl and wing to also match my 87" so I will post a picture when finished.

Thanks to all that answered questions along the way and thanks to Noll for getting me out the rudder cables so fast that we not in plane.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:18 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,648 Posts
surprise hangover lol...those are the worst.

have fun with the yak.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:21 AM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,514 Posts
Congrats on the successful Maiden! A friend of mine owns one and he absolutely loves it (and can fly the snot out of it! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
Well I got to maiden my 47" Extra SHP this morning before work and it went well. I started with the CG at the recommended balance at the LE of the wing tube and it was just fine giving me hands off or slight nose drop inverted depending on speed. I may experiment with a tad more forward. Slow flight and knife edge are fantastic with little to no push in KE. It was windy so I will wait for a calmer day before saying no pushing. Blenders are impressive at half power. I did not try it at full power because it dawned on my that I never gave it a once over with CA on the joints. The 130 motor is amazing on this plane with amazing vertical power and right now acceleration. I am using a Falcon 13x6.5 and it is such a featherweight the motor has instantaneous power. I bought 4 Glacier 3S 2200's 35C and they are the real deal offering lots of power when needed and was mildly warm on landing. I set my timer at 5:30 and lander with 3.82 to 3.84 average so after some more cycles are on them I will start bumping up flight time, but I am very happy with that.

For the negatives, 3DHS was out of stock on the G10 oversize servo arms so the rudder and elevator need more travel for me. I set it up expo and all per the manual but waterfalls and push overs seemed like it needed more elevator. On the down side to that I felt with maybe 25% power doing turns to like finial or approaching a hover the plane slows down faster than I expect and feels like it could snap under on me although it never did. Later flight I just compensated with more power. Along tis line it slows down on landings much faster than most of my other 3DHS planes. Not really a bad thing just something to get used to. It actually made for a nice "almost" harrier landing on my last flight. It was not high alpha but definitely nose high attitude and slow to a 3-point.

All and all I extremely happy. I am still waiting for my custom American flag from Rob at ADC to match my 87" plus I am still cutting out some more flames on the cowl and wing to also match my 87" so I will post a picture when finished.

Thanks to all that answered questions along the way and thanks to Noll for getting me out the rudder cables so fast that we not in plane.
Luv3d is offline Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:57 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Your able to get 6min?!?!? I have my timer set to 4min I could get 4:30 in but no more, what esc are you using?
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:59 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
Who's flying tomorrow? I got the truck loaded with the 51" slick 48" edge, 60" extra and 48 laser, should be an epic day
I'm flying tomorrow loaded up with the 51" Slick, 58" Edge, 68" Su-26, Twist 60

weather is supposed to be sunny, temps near 80, low winds.

The Su-26 is not a 3DHS airframe, FYI.
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:00 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
Your able to get 6min?!?!? I have my timer set to 4min I could get 4:30 in but no more, what esc are you using?
You have to remember some people use throttle management while they fly. You could get over 5 minutes on your own setup if you would back off the throttle a bit
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:02 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
You have to remember some people use throttle management while they fly. You could get over 5 minutes on your own setup if you would back off the throttle a bit
yep, either that or your batteries suck.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:12 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Explain "throttle management"

I have new sky lipo 40c 2200's they do not get puffy at all so they are good.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:23 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
I have one! 2nd Plane (when I got back in) after my UMX Beast! Mine was used, so it was pretty flexible, but my friend gave me another (he got a 33" EPP so he said he didn't need them) which I built and LOVE!
Good to hear. I'm looking forward to flying it. They are such a breeze to build. That must be why all those beers snuck up on me!

I really like the looks of the Yak too... I just wish that it came with wheel pants.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:24 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Explain "throttle management"

I have new sky lipo 40c 2200's they do not get puffy at all so they are good.
I've seen your videos Kieth... it's clear that you don't understand the concept of throttle management! But I must say... I envy your balls to the wall approach to flying!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:27 AM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,015 Posts
Quote:
Good to hear. I'm looking forward to flying it. They are such a breeze to build. That must be why all those beers snuck up on me!

I really like the looks of the Yak too... I just wish that it came with wheel pants.
Yeah, I may make gear for mine....
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:29 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
I've seen your videos Kieth... it's clear that you don't understand the concept of throttle management! But I must say... I envy your balls to the wall approach to flying!
Hehe. after I get the right KV on my motor and right size prop for the power I want I will have a new video and it should be one that doesn't want to make you stop the video.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:59 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,153 Posts
Quote:
5:30 is what I was flying but landing with reserve.

Airboss 45, but I am really wondering if the 35C batteries are helping. What prop are you using the 14x7? I was thinking that might load the motor more which is why I went with the 13x6.5 but the real reason I went 13x6.5 was that is what Joe is flying in his.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:27 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Yeah that is why I said you are able to get 6min because you land at 5:30 but still have atleast 30 seconds left, try a 14x7 but keep an eye out on the motor heat, when I was running a 13x6.5 I don't think I had a problem, I then put on a 14x7 and I think I was still good and the motor was not over heating but I can't really remember. Then xmount screws got loose broke the x mount and did not know about it, I was flying like that for awhile and noticed my motor getting super hot, then that just screwed up my 130g for good. (well atleast I don't know what is wrong with the 130g) So when you do go 14x7 check your motor temp.