bump da de bump
speed2004 is offline Find More Posts by speed2004
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:48 AM
Just do it.
Stroudsburg, PA
Joined Nov 2009
670 Posts
anyone know what size hole is required for the smart-fly pin and flag switch?
FlyFisch is offline Find More Posts by FlyFisch
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:41 PM
HIBDON FOR PRESIDENT !!
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,144 Posts
Thinking about putting smoke on my 89" Slick, don't see many guys here doing it, wonder why. Is smoke very messy, or expensive? How much smoke oil would one use in a 9 min or so flight.
goflyhighrc is offline Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:57 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc View Post
Thinking about putting smoke on my 89" Slick, don't see many guys here doing it, wonder why. Is smoke very messy, or expensive? How much smoke oil would one use in a 9 min or so flight.
It's not really messy nor really expensive. You will have to clean your plane but it isn't as bad as glow fuel.

You won't get smoke for the whole flight. Just get the size tank you can fit, adjust your pump for the least amount of flow that gives you good smoke.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:02 PM
HIBDON FOR PRESIDENT !!
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
It's not really messy nor really expensive. You will have to clean your plane but it isn't as bad as glow fuel.

You won't get smoke for the whole flight. Just get the size tank you can fit, adjust your pump for the least amount of flow that gives you good smoke.
What brand oil and pump would be the best?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined May 2012
326 Posts
As far as messy goes, just make sure you do a good job on making sure all the lines are leak free and sealed. Smoke oil can be nasty to the wood, difficult to get out, and ultimately can make the wood brittle over time, so yeah. Leaks = bad. If you're really paranoid you can make a bladder bag which is what Alex did once on a 100cc extra.
Trixie3D is offline Find More Posts by Trixie3D
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:21 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Best? That's pretty subjective. I use a Harris pump and Super Dri oil. The Harris pump is pretty expensive and probably doesn't need to be. I've seen people have good results with sullivan pumps too I imagine that they are cheaper than the harris but I haven't priced them.

I did use a gallon of Bennet's smoke oil because that was all the LHS had at the time. It seemed to work fine but I didn't specifically compare it to the Super Dri. Other than that one gallon, I've used Super Dri.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:56 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,412 Posts
I had a castle smoke system in my brothers 89 Got to use the smoke system 4 different times
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:59 PM
HIBDON FOR PRESIDENT !!
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,144 Posts
Quote:
Best? That's pretty subjective. I use a Harris pump and Super Dri oil. The Harris pump is pretty expensive and probably doesn't need to be. I've seen people have good results with sullivan pumps too I imagine that they are cheaper than the harris but I haven't priced them.

I did use a gallon of Bennet's smoke oil because that was all the LHS had at the time. It seemed to work fine but I didn't specifically compare it to the Super Dri. Other than that one gallon, I've used Super Dri.

Super Dri is not cheap
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:01 PM
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined May 2003
790 Posts
Losi, that is just wrong....HV120 or HV160?
speed2004 is offline Find More Posts by speed2004
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:08 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed2004 View Post
Losi, that is just wrong....HV120 or HV160?
Both . Been waiting since febuary to get the 120 back "again". The second 160 is in it now but waiting on hacker to send back the motor (had them check it out to make sure it was just the esc and not any fault of the motor(castle wanted it done) Hacker did send the motor out today so the 89 will be airborn again very soon.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:26 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,884 Posts
Quote:

its about the same price of glo fuel so I say its expensive especially you get less run time out of it compared to glo
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:49 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Everything in this hobby is expensive....
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:52 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,103 Posts
Before I list it an addicts need a Omega 103g motor that has 57 flights on it? $35 shipped in the continental US.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:17 PM
HIBDON FOR PRESIDENT !!
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,144 Posts
Quote:
Everything in this hobby is expensive....

This stuff is app 5.00 per gallon good it be much different than the $25 stuff.

http://www.hobbywarehouse.com/Robart...-Oil-Gallon-4?