SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:47 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkx38 View Post
Thats funny! I'm running a XOAR 24x10 as recommended by DA. I have not had a chance to try a 8 but have been pretty happy with the 10 and want to try the VESS 24b to compare witch was recommended by VESS.
I guess it depends who answers the email I guess as most likely we get an opinion. Just for curiosity did you specifically ask for 3D?
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:01 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starzen View Post
if you got the email yesterday about the free 42 slick that will be sent to you you are signed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
Hmmmm my coupon was for a 51. I must have more bonus points built up.
I'm hoping my email will be for some free servos...I've got an airframe that I can't afford to put decent servos in (yet).

FYI, My confirmation email after signing up looked something like this:

Quote:
Customer Registration

<your name here>
Thank you for registering at 3D Hobby Shop. Please keep this email for your records, contact us if you have any questions.

Contact Information
<snip>

Customer Group: 3DHS Fanatics
3DHS Fanatics
Minimum Order: $0.00
Price Level: 1
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:03 PM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
I guess it depends who answers the email I guess as most likely we get an opinion. Just for curiosity did you specifically ask for 3D?
I originally called DA to ask about prop recommendations, and they said a Xoar 24x8 for 3D and a 24x10 for IMAC. They were unsure of Vess props. I originally tried a Vess 24A on my 87 SHP/DA60, then tried a 24B. I like the 24B a lot more, the low end response is still there but you gain a lot on the top end for higher energy maneuvers. The 24A seemed to provide nothing additional beyond 2/3 throttle, whereas the 24B keeps pulling harder all the way to full. I ordered a 24B Stealth to try out this weekend.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:36 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
My question would be, why was the design so different on the 59"? The one thing that stands out to me was the length of the fuse compared to the wings. on the 42, 51, and 71 the fuse is shorter than the wingspan, does this have anything to do with the different characteristics?
I think you got that backwards.

My guess is that since AJ loves precision/pattern flying, that he wanted the 59" to track better and lean a little more towards precision than all the other Slicks. Probably just got sick of doing the same old thing.

Once you get over expectation that the 59" is not exactly like all of the other Slicks, it's one of the best airframes out there. It does it all in every kind of weather condition. There's no SFG's required, and battery changes and wing removal is super easier with the large access hatch.
G.P. is online now Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:36 PM
The RED filters through
Rendon, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,959 Posts
a little embarassed, but proud too

The club president sent this out this morning about our Demos yesterday. I'm a bit embarassed by it, but I feel good too. I guess I represented our community well.

Quote:
Our clubs support of the TCC College For Kids went very well.....despite the windy conditions. We met with and successfully entertained 4 classes of kids - ranging from 2nd to around 6th grade (its hard to tell nowadays). I think our club members had an equally good time - thanks to those that supported the activity

Ron Colyer
Darren Hilscher
James Parker
Mike Koenig
and Parker Doyle

Darren was, without a doubth, the major attraction with his dazzling 3d flying demonstrations, and we closed each class with a an E-Jet combat sortie. Despite the pleas, and chants, from the ground to create a crater, Darren succefully landed each flight without incident. We were interviewed, photographed, and filmed by a couple of ladies from TCC's public relations team. They will be sending us photos, videos, and links to their site/blogs. A few of our members were also taking pictures (some are enclosed) , We will try to get some of them out on our web-site. The kids were entertaining, and some were extremely knowledgeable about flying, rockets, and other technology.

TCC was so happy with our participation that they are trying to get us back out in July to entertain the older kids (7th grade +), and have already started talking about next year activities.

Our demo with Walnut Ridge Baptist Church is this Friday - we have a few folks lined up. If interested, let me know. Hopefully Darren can fly a little 3 D, and we can have a little larger combat.

Cliff
RedTalon is offline Find More Posts by RedTalon
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:44 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P. View Post
I think you got that backwards.

My guess is that since AJ loves precision/pattern flying, that he wanted the 59" to track better and lean a little more towards precision than all the other Slicks. Probably just got sick of doing the same old thing.

Once you get over expectation that the 59" is not exactly like all of the other Slicks, it's one of the best airframes out there. It does it all in every kind of weather condition. There's no SFG's required, and battery changes and wing removal is super easier with the large access hatch.
You are correct, I did have that backwards!
I think the 59" slick is awesome, there is just something about the other slicks! It's almost like the 59" should have a different name or color scheme to set it apart. Nothing wrong with being different, But I can see how it would disappoint people who have expectations of it being similar to their other slicks! It's has more of an Extra feel to it, whereas the others feel like edges a bit.
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:13 PM
3D Wanna Be
Oahu, Hawaii
Joined Jul 2009
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTalon View Post
The club president sent this out this morning about our Demos yesterday. I'm a bit embarassed by it, but I feel good too. I guess I represented our community well.
Nothing to be embarassed by....good job bro!

You little dazzler you!
sk8rob is offline Find More Posts by sk8rob
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:21 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTalon View Post
Nice Job! Glad the kids enjoyed it. Sounds like you did fine.

Oh BTW your missing a pant.

Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:27 PM
The RED filters through
Rendon, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle34 View Post

Oh BTW your missing a pant.

Volar Sin Pantalones!!!
RedTalon is offline Find More Posts by RedTalon
Last edited by RedTalon; Jun 20, 2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:44 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
You are correct, I did have that backwards!
I think the 59" slick is awesome, there is just something about the other slicks! It's almost like the 59" should have a different name or color scheme to set it apart. Nothing wrong with being different, But I can see how it would disappoint people who have expectations of it being similar to their other slicks! It's has more of an Extra feel to it, whereas the others feel like edges a bit.
It has a racing cowl (chine?). That sort of sets it apart and is a appropriate for a plane that tracks better and has a wider flight envelope. Should have the racing canopy like the 74" Edge too.
G.P. is online now Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
Any 3DHS fanatics located around Louisville, KY?
Randal McSandal is offline Find More Posts by Randal McSandal
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:50 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal McSandal View Post
Any 3DHS fanatics located around Louisville, KY?
Yup. I'm only about an hour away, diggity2424 and Hugocraft are in Louisville.
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
I'd love to join if you all every fly together! I'm guessing Tom Sawyer park?
Randal McSandal is offline Find More Posts by Randal McSandal
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:56 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,179 Posts
isnt wamsy and bivens not too far from there?
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:57 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,871 Posts
I haven't flown with either of them yet, so I'm not sure what the name of their field is. But I'd definitely like to get together and fly sometime.
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer