Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 30, 2012, 09:29 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
Post 24250 in the old addicts thread...if anyone knows how to link to it...I couldn't find it in the short time I had today....

Or we could ask Jim to re-post...
Found it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=24520

Bivens, are you lysdexic?
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2012, 09:38 AM
United States, MD, Glen Burnie
Joined Mar 2012
331 Posts
just said bye to my last video game trying to sell everything i have just to get money for a new plane my names venom and im a 3dhs addict.
VENOMiTry is offline Find More Posts by VENOMiTry
Old May 30, 2012, 09:57 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,858 Posts
Thanks for the help on the motor guys. I really like the motor... it has gobs of power and was really reliable for the two flights I have on it. I'll try adjusting the timing a little and tuning. Then I will just hope it smooths out more as it breaks in. I might send the piston in for a Frank Bowman ring but I have a hard time consigning myself to no slick for two weeks

Bivens, I have tried the RC exl ignition with my bec set to 4.8v and 5.4v. I noticed that it is always .1 to .2 lower than the software setting says it is. Anyway the stock ignition will run either way but the RC exl ignition won't. It sounds like the spark is happening inside the module instead of at the spark plug. I have taken the plug out and done just as you suggested and it does spark on the plug but not every time. It hits the plug probably 1/3 of the time but there is always the sound of a spark somewhere.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old May 30, 2012, 10:31 AM
USA, MI, Livonia
Joined Nov 2004
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
hosam....did your yellow 89 have much coupling after it balanced good?
yes, i had to set the rudder to elevator mix to get to track straight....
hosam is offline Find More Posts by hosam
Old May 30, 2012, 11:14 AM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc View Post
Do many of you guys use the Smart Fly Optic Kill ? I've had it on my 89 Slick but thinking of getting rid of it. Not sure what happens if the Optic Kill fails, does it fail on ? DA has said it present problems by interfing with the ignition at times. I believe Joe Smith uses it in his planes.
Just make sure you have some sort of remote ignition kill. You don't want to be the guy who gets stuck flying in a circle up high waiting for his plane to run out of fuel. Or worse have a throttle servo failure/problem with the plane on the ground and have it run away or hit someone. Nearly everyone at my field uses the Smart-fly optical kills, so that is what I went with and it has worked great so far.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old May 30, 2012, 11:29 AM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
So how would i go about wiring the two batts, wolverine switch, and the throttle kill?
On my 87 SHP I have the following setup:

Code:
  LiPo      LiPo
   |         |                 Ignition module
   |         |                        |
Wolverine Switch                      |
 |    |    |    ____________Smart-fly optical kill-----------NiMh
  \   |   /    /
  Receiver inputs
Old May 30, 2012, 12:37 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace4 View Post
On my 87 SHP I have the following setup:

Code:
  LiPo      LiPo
   |         |                 Ignition module
   |         |                        |
Wolverine Switch                      |
 |    |    |    ____________Smart-fly optical kill-----------NiMh
  \   |   /    /
  Receiver inputs
On my 87" SHP is basically the same but 2 LiFe batteries into my Wolverine switch via Deans connectors - 3 JR connectors out to power my Rx and I use the Tech Aero IBEC for the engine kill and as it gets it's power from my 2 A123 packs no additional NiMh is used.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old May 30, 2012, 01:13 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,313 Posts
So next question...what life packs are you guys running, from what i have read some are real crap and some are really good and prices are drastically different depending on where your looking
shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102
Old May 30, 2012, 02:07 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,797 Posts
Got an M6 and threaded out the 71 Slick wing blind nut, but felt nothing in there. Actually I think the threads are a little too bored and that is causing the stripping of the bolts, so will be debonding and tapping out the blind nut and installing the new one tomorrow night after it shows up in my mailbox...
heritageflyer is online now Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old May 30, 2012, 02:15 PM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,274 Posts
I just switched some blind nuts out of a big Vyper and used a prop adaptor from an Omega (I think it was an Omega) Either way it was a smaller prop adaptor and it threaded into the the blind nut perfectly and gave some more surface area to tap on getting the nut out.
joshet89 is online now Find More Posts by joshet89
Old May 30, 2012, 02:27 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VENOMiTry View Post
just said bye to my last video game trying to sell everything i have just to get money for a new plane my names venom and im a 3dhs addict.
Better post for the fly low thread.....mhhh being the fanatic thread police is pretty fun.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old May 30, 2012, 03:54 PM
HIBDON FOR PRESIDENT !!
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace4 View Post
Just make sure you have some sort of remote ignition kill. You don't want to be the guy who gets stuck flying in a circle up high waiting for his plane to run out of fuel. Or worse have a throttle servo failure/problem with the plane on the ground and have it run away or hit someone. Nearly everyone at my field uses the Smart-fly optical kills, so that is what I went with and it has worked great so far.
I had my 89 in hover with DA60 about 15" up, I also have it set up with a high idle switch and I had it on high idle. The motor jus quite, who knows what happened. If the Smart Fly Optic kill fais, it cuts the igntion. Thinking of removing it but I sure like to be able to kill the plane from my TX. What to do! Some guys at the field that have a choke servo use it to kill the engine, not sure if that is a good idea or not.
goflyhighrc is online now Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old May 30, 2012, 04:12 PM
USA, NJ, West Paterson
Joined Feb 2008
1,249 Posts
I'm using a 42% products mini Thor ibec/opto kill and I can set the fail safe for ign on or off

Quote:
I had my 89 in hover with DA60 about 15" up, I also have it set up with a high idle switch and I had it on high idle. The motor jus quite, who knows what happened. If the Smart Fly Optic kill fais, it cuts the igntion. Thinking of removing it but I sure like to be able to kill the plane from my TX. What to do! Some guys at the field that have a choke servo use it to kill the engine, not sure if that is a good idea or not.
jamesrini is online now Find More Posts by jamesrini
Old May 30, 2012, 04:20 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
So next question...what life packs are you guys running, from what i have read some are real crap and some are really good and prices are drastically different depending on where your looking
ep buddy a123's?.....thats what most of the guys around here run
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old May 30, 2012, 04:59 PM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
I just don't think it's safe to not have any sort of fail-safe kill device on big gas plane. I personally would consider a choke servo less reliable (and more complex) than an optical kill or IBEC, since the servo has moving parts and linkage while the others are solid state electronics. The Smart-fly optical kills seem pretty reliable among those at my field (as compared to ignition modules or servos).