What brand do you like Josh ?
goflyhighrc is online now Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 11:19 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Not sure. I have two different brands, and they both worked well.
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old May 29, 2012, 11:51 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc View Post
Do many of you guys use the Smart Fly Optic Kill ? I've had it on my 89 Slick but thinking of getting rid of it. Not sure what happens if the Optic Kill fails, does it fail on ? DA has said it present problems by interfing with the ignition at times. I believe Joe Smith uses it in his planes.
many people are using the Tech-Aero Ultra IBEC... it's an ignition kill as well as a BEC for the ignition...

http://www.tech-aero.net/ultra-ibec

...over on FG it's getting quite a movement, one less battery, is an ignition kill, just plugs into the receiver... very cool. I'll be using it myself in my upcoming projects.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old May 30, 2012, 12:05 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,996 Posts
Hi guys... I'm looking for some advice on my first gasser project.

I took this video on my phone today to highlight the vibration on my 70" slick. The prop is in balance and the motor is tuned just rich enough on the low end to get a good transition. I guess I'm just wondering if this is more vibration that normal or not. I can see it better than you can because of the frame rate on my phone but if you watch you should be able to see about how much vibration I am getting. The motor has about 1.5 hours on it now and I did a maiden yesterday afternoon (flew great!) Anyway, I'd really appreciate input. I may just be over-reacting since this is my first gasser but my feeling is that it is a little excessive. We ran it with an RC exl ignition and it seemed to quiet the vibration down a bunch. The dealer sent me one but I think it is bad since I can't get the motor to run with it...

Sorry for the video also being filmed on it's side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HSbf...ure=plpp_video
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old May 30, 2012, 12:17 AM
Goes to eleven!
Bellingham WA
Joined Mar 2009
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
it's the pattern for any rolling maneuver basically...
Way cool Arron!
Nice job on this!

Joe
JK13 is offline Find More Posts by JK13
Old May 30, 2012, 04:51 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,329 Posts
Quote:
many people are using the Tech-Aero Ultra IBEC... it's an ignition kill as well as a BEC for the ignition...

...over on FG it's getting quite a movement, one less battery, is an ignition kill, just plugs into the receiver... very cool. I'll be using it myself in my upcoming projects.
excuse the noob question as my first gas plane will be here in a month or so. But if i am looking at that correctly it plugs into the receiver on one end and ignition on the other. I assume you set a switch on your radio as an engine kill switch.

And i guess you would then be able to run one mechanical switch (i was looking at the fromeco badge switch) with one 3000mah Life pack straight to the receiver to power everything?
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old May 30, 2012, 06:00 AM
USA, NJ, West Paterson
Joined Feb 2008
1,264 Posts
If you didn't purchase the stuff already I would go with the wolverine switch and run dual 1500-1800 life batts. The wolverine is 2 switches and a batt sharing circuit all in one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
excuse the noob question as my first gas plane will be here in a month or so. But if i am looking at that correctly it plugs into the receiver on one end and ignition on the other. I assume you set a switch on your radio as an engine kill switch.

And i guess you would then be able to run one mechanical switch (i was looking at the fromeco badge switch) with one 3000mah Life pack straight to the receiver to power everything?
jamesrini is offline Find More Posts by jamesrini
Last edited by jamesrini; May 30, 2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old May 30, 2012, 06:08 AM
Joined Mar 2011
4,329 Posts
no i havent purchased anything except for the plane, control surface servos, and engine so far.
Old May 30, 2012, 06:16 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,237 Posts
Quote:

+1
I am using the Aero-Tech Ultra IBEC from all of the great reviews on FG and so far it is living up to it's reputation in my 87" Extra SHP. I am very happy with it.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old May 30, 2012, 06:33 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
+1
I am using the Aero-Tech Ultra IBEC from all of the great reviews on FG and so far it is living up to it's reputation in my 87" Extra SHP. I am very happy with it.
working flawlessly in my 89 so far also.....
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old May 30, 2012, 08:02 AM
USA, NJ, West Paterson
Joined Feb 2008
1,264 Posts
Edit : the wolverine is 2 switches not 3 that was a typo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrini View Post
If you didn't purchase the stuff already I would go with the wolverine switch and run dual 1500-1800 life batts. The wolverine is 2 switches and a batt sharing circuit all in one.
Old May 30, 2012, 08:04 AM
Joined Mar 2011
4,329 Posts
gotcha...i know the manufacturer is recommending using one 3000mah pack since its only a 30cc plane any reason i should go with two?
Old May 30, 2012, 08:10 AM
USA, NJ, West Paterson
Joined Feb 2008
1,264 Posts
Its just a safer way to power the plane and a piece of mind. If one batt or connection was to fail you would lose everything, with the wolverine and 2 batts it is redundancy if one goes the other will still work The wolverine switch isolates the 2 batts so if one goes it don't take both out. I do the dual redundant batts on my 30cc and up.

Quote:
gotcha...i know the manufacturer is recommending using one 3000mah pack since its only a 30cc plane any reason i should go with two?
Old May 30, 2012, 08:15 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,445 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrini View Post
Its just a safer way to power the plane and a piece of mind. If one batt or connection was to fail you would lose everything, with the wolverine and 2 batts it is redundancy if one goes the other will still work The wolverine switch isolates the 2 batts so if one goes it don't take both out. I do the dual redundant batts on my 30cc and up.
and if you do redundant batts, you can get away with two much smaller packs. so instead of 1 3000mah pack, you could do something like two 1800 or 2000 packs
rcbirk21 is online now Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old May 30, 2012, 08:16 AM
USA, NJ, West Paterson
Joined Feb 2008
1,264 Posts
Also using only 1 servo type connector to the Rx has a limit of I think 3-5 amps which is not enough for a 30cc planes servos which servos did you get digital or analog.? What Rx are you gonna use?