SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:26 AM
The Twisted Elf
USA, NJ, Trenton
Joined Nov 2010
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksextra View Post
even 15 minute expoxy is fine. It all depends on how much time you need to work with it.
sorry but 15 minute and less isn't really all that good,the longer the drying time the harder the epoxy gets and the more the balsa or wood soaks it in for a super good bond,

i have seen many planes control surfaces come apart because of using 15 minute or less expoxy,just my opinion and observation
lugnutz is online now Find More Posts by lugnutz
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:22 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
The honey colored Gorilla glue is fine....Personally, I prefer epoxy....but that is just my "old school" way of doing things...
I have many "old school" ways of doing things but let me share why I stopped using epoxy and started using PU.

I used 30 minute epoxy on my 71" Slick and somewhere around 10-15 flights I did a low pass infront of me and did a quick pop up into a hover. I heard a snap/pop that did not sound right so I landed. I found the the left elevator side had poped some hinged loose. Upon examination and measurement I found that the trailing edge wood stock barely gets one of the locking notches of the hinge glued in it. In fact the hinge is mostly glued in the tapered part of the hinge. When I scratch built planes I had sufficient wood glued backing up the TE stock. Just look through the wing and you will see this. The PU glue expandes like crazy so when using it you get a mushroom or almost a rivit head of glued on the inside preventing it from pulling out. I may have my old ways but after that it is only PU for me.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:35 AM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
I have many "old school" ways of doing things but let me share why I stopped using epoxy and started using PU.

I used 30 minute epoxy on my 71" Slick and somewhere around 10-15 flights I did a low pass infront of me and did a quick pop up into a hover. I heard a snap/pop that did not sound right so I landed. I found the the left elevator side had poped some hinged loose. Upon examination and measurement I found that the trailing edge wood stock barely gets one of the locking notches of the hinge glued in it. In fact the hinge is mostly glued in the tapered part of the hinge. When I scratch built planes I had sufficient wood glued backing up the TE stock. Just look through the wing and you will see this. The PU glue expandes like crazy so when using it you get a mushroom or almost a rivit head of glued on the inside preventing it from pulling out. I may have my old ways but after that it is only PU for me.
+1 I have noticed this exact same thing and that is why i continue to use Gorilla glue. make sure you get a lot in there and let it expand into the surface. don't worry about wiping it while it expands. come back a few hours later and just pop the excess glue off with a hobby knife. just be sure to grease the pivot point.
lammbn is online now Find More Posts by lammbn
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:08 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,462 Posts
+2 I like the GG method
losifanatic is online now Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:59 AM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
The honey colored Gorilla glue is fine....Personally, I prefer epoxy....but that is just my "old school" way of doing things...

I used to buy Hobby Poxy that had a one hour work time....unfortunately , Hobby Poxy went out of business, and I can find any other in the U.S. You guys in the U.K. have this, one hour work time epoxy...that I found at a few different shops in the U.K.....

SteveT

West Systems has slow curing Epoxy. It's used mostly in marine applications and is pricey, but it's about the best Epoxy you can buy. I have some I have had for years and still use it for certain jobs. Up to 1-1/2 hour pot life.
Here's a link:
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/hardener-selection-guide/

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:16 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,470 Posts
SEFF was fun in the new trailer...

Congrats Wamsy! Nice job.
See everyone in 2 weeks at Nall!!
Bivens is online now Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:32 PM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,909 Posts
nice trailer Bivens... you will have classy sleeping quarters for OH Huckfest
wedgewing is offline Find More Posts by wedgewing
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:36 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post

Nice Wheels!
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:09 PM
"Failure is not an option"
West Babylon NY
Joined Dec 2006
528 Posts
Nice toy hauler Mike. Enjoy the Nall.
TOFAST4U2C is offline Find More Posts by TOFAST4U2C
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:15 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2008
3,329 Posts
Very Very nice Bivens. I would love a setup like that to be able to go to fly-ins.
twistedgrim is offline Find More Posts by twistedgrim
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:20 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
West Systems has slow curing Epoxy. It's used mostly in marine applications and is pricey, but it's about the best Epoxy you can buy. I have some I have had for years and still use it for certain jobs. Up to 1-1/2 hour pot life.
Here's a link:
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/hardener-selection-guide/

Chuck
Thanks Chuck....

I was going to check with Devcon and see if they have any also...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:37 PM
3D Wanna Be
Oahu, Hawaii
Joined Jul 2009
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post

Dang...didn't realize it was only two weeks away. Looks like I have a place to sleep if a hurricane comes
sk8rob is online now Find More Posts by sk8rob
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:42 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Ok 42" slick 65mg servo rudder pull/pull: now i have it set at 125% throw both ways but they dont have the same amount of throw each way, so do i adjust the buy make like 120% throw to the left and maybe 110% throw to the right? Or do i keep th throw amout the same and adjust it by sub trim????
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:04 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
Ok 42" slick 65mg servo rudder pull/pull: now i have it set at 125% throw both ways but they dont have the same amount of throw each way, so do i adjust the buy make like 120% throw to the left and maybe 110% throw to the right? Or do i keep th throw amout the same and adjust it by sub trim????
Travel adjust.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:35 PM
Once u go yak u never go back
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnutz View Post
sorry but 15 minute and less isn't really all that good,the longer the drying time the harder the epoxy gets and the more the balsa or wood soaks it in for a super good bond,

i have seen many planes control surfaces come apart because of using 15 minute or less expoxy,just my opinion and observation
I've not seen one failure using it. Maybe it's how i do it. Either way; you're right. Opinions can vary.
marksextra is offline Find More Posts by marksextra