SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:02 PM
Wingman II
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2011
1,262 Posts
Ouch! That's some surgery... But I think your right, they do have to be re hinged. This sounds like the best way.
diggity2424 is offline Find More Posts by diggity2424
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:34 PM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,209 Posts
I've used what other suggested and cut old hinges then used a soldering iron with thin tip to melt out most of the old hinge then a drill bit to clean out the rest and just put new hinges in the old holes.
weaser42 is offline Find More Posts by weaser42
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:42 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaser42 View Post
I've used what other suggested and cut old hinges then used a soldering iron with thin tip to melt out most of the old hinge then a drill bit to clean out the rest and just put new hinges in the old holes.
That is also an option, and of course saves drilling new holes. I have mentioned this method to people on other forums. One guy screwed it up and got mad at me for suggesting it...so...I'm careful about it now...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:54 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity2424 View Post
ok, so after some hard flying of the 70" Slick, I noticed the my elevator hinges are a bit loose. What is the best way to redo the hinges? Of course I can't take the elevator all the way off because of the rudder.
How loose are they ? I had three loose one on my 89 Slick, I used thin CA and used one of those pipetes wit small tip and dripped it in the hole. Has held firm for a few months now. Also, if they are loose on the elevator side, the pin goes all they way thru the balsa, you can cut a small section of Ultracote to expose the pin, fill gorilla glue, med CA then patch the ultra coat.
goflyhighrc is online now Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:00 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
thanks for the good feedback on the video guys! ...will try and step it up for the next one

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Dude... Absolutely awesome. I loved it. The whole thing was awesome but a few things that stuck out to me (in all their awesomeness):

The TIGHT KE Spins. I can sometimes do this but not always. SWEET!
Rollers. Nuff said. Dayamn!!!
Slow roll. Drool.
Weeble woobles
Those hover exit maneuvers were sweet

I could go on but suffice it to say that was awesome.

I'm not confident that I'll ever fly as well as you but I'm confident that I'll never quit trying as long as I'm having fun along the way. Thanks for the inspiration and keep 'em coming man!!
wasn't any weeble-wobbles in this one actually... the few rolling downlines were "cork screws". Will try and get some weeble-wobbles in the next one.

and yup, maintain the fun! ...is what it's about for sure.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:03 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Sweet flying indeed but damn that video reiterated my distain for gas.

...does the opposite for me... great little engine, purrs like a kitten. many times I was thinking that it wasn't any more assaulting in person than a big electric. OS did their thing properly with the included muffler for sure, quite awesome.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:13 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,017 Posts
Sounded great to me Arron...."almost" enough to make me want a gasser.......

Hmmmmm....let me think about this.........

Nah....too many "cons" for me....no place to keep it, don't want to haul a gasser in my car, and a few other things too...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:47 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Arrghhhh.,,,

Going back in the day....when gassers were pretty much your only option for large planes.....was a pain....lugging around so much kit...the hassles of fuel storage mixing...pumping...priming...starting...mess mess mess....then can't get engine to start going back home again....Grrrrr

With the electric you just charge and go....and bar the odd electrical mishap - is so much the now way to go....

So why do I hanker to go through all that grief again - looking longingly at 50cc engines.....
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:18 AM
Joined Feb 2009
3 Posts
Does anyone know how I can contact 3d hobbyshop. I've tried their e-mail and phone several times with no responce, my 51 slick has broken landing gear and I need to replace it but they have been out or stock for awhile.
slow&low is offline Find More Posts by slow&low
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:18 AM
Wingman II
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2011
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc View Post
How loose are they ? I had three loose one on my 89 Slick, I used thin CA and used one of those pipetes wit small tip and dripped it in the hole. Has held firm for a few months now. Also, if they are loose on the elevator side, the pin goes all they way thru the balsa, you can cut a small section of Ultracote to expose the pin, fill gorilla glue, med CA then patch the ultra coat.
I think I am going to go the thin CA route. Some of the hinges are still tight. There are 3 hinges that slightly pull out about 1/8 of a inch. If I put vaseline around the hinges, then carefully apply the thin CA, that should work, right? I think this is my best option considering more than half the hinges are still secure.
diggity2424 is offline Find More Posts by diggity2424
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:51 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
The problem I've had with hinges is not necessarily the pins coming loose from the wood (although I have had this happen too), it's the actual pin inside the hinge wearing out the plastic and causing failure. Actually had the rudder on my 72 depart ship during a snap once. Landed the plane with the rudder flappin in the breeze held on by only the servo linkage. That was exciting!

When I noticed the elevator hinges getting loose I opted to replace them since I did NOT want the elevator jumping ship mid flight. It didn't seem physically possible to install new hinges without cutting up the tail of the plane a little. I just couldn't get the elevator back far enough to make enough space to insert new hinges. Wound up cutting through the bit of wood at the bottom of the hole that the elevator joiner goes through, which allowed the elevator to fall into the lightening hole below it. This gave me the room I needed to work.

I think I have a picture of this somewhere. I'll see if I can find it...

Found it:

And just for fun, here is a photo from when the rudder came off.

teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Last edited by teookie; Mar 30, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:19 AM
I AM Smiling
Joined Dec 2007
373 Posts
[QUOTE=sk8rob;21181438]watching him fly gives me that warm, fuzzy feeling.

I'm in dispair!!!!!!
DeadStick Dave is offline Find More Posts by DeadStick Dave
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:31 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&low View Post
Does anyone know how I can contact 3d hobbyshop. I've tried their e-mail and phone several times with no responce, my 51 slick has broken landing gear and I need to replace it but they have been out or stock for awhile.
I made some new gear for mine out of aluminum stock. It's a temporary fix but was really easy and doesn't even look that bad. It cost me less than $5 and took about 20 minutes + painting. I got the idea from a post on the 51 slick thread a few days ago. All you need is some 3/4 x 1/8 aluminum bar stock. You can find it at Home Depot for sure. Then I just held up the CF gear to it and marked the bend points. Used my little vice to bend it. Drilled some holes, knocked off the burrs with my dremel and painted it black. Good for plenty of landings till the new gear comes back in stock
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Feb 2009
3 Posts
Thanks, I'll check it out in the 51" forum
slow&low is offline Find More Posts by slow&low
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:23 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&low View Post
email replied to... I had to chase down the details on the re-stocking of landing gear parts. they were due in the previous container, but due to a mix-up they were delayed, I had to check...