SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:24 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,022 Posts
I love parallel charging and my opinion about charging at 1c is that any gain you get in extended pack life is quickly diminishing. I doubt anyone is going to be able to measure a material difference in performance between a pack that is charged at 1c vs. 2c.

I have no argument against liking to know how much you put back into each pack though. I worry sometimes that I might be losing touch with how some of my packs might be doing. I just don't have time to obsess over it though. That is one reason I love the A9 so much. The voltage telemetry is really valuable in cases where a lipo may be getting really tired without you noticing it. Just my opinion.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:54 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Parallel charging is probably the best investment I've made in this hobby yet. I usually just charge at 2c but sometimes I go a little higher if I'm in a hurry. But nothing beats being able to charge 6 of my 4s batteries in 20-30 minutes. With my old charging setup that would've taken me all night.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:37 AM
Nothin Ventured, Nothin Gained
United States, NC, Maiden
Joined Jul 2011
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Parallel charging is probably the best investment I've made in this hobby yet. I usually just charge at 2c but sometimes I go a little higher if I'm in a hurry. But nothing beats being able to charge 6 of my 4s batteries in 20-30 minutes. With my old charging setup that would've taken me all night.
+1. Between the PL8 and paraboards I've picked up, it makes charging a much easier process to bear. I've gotten almost all my batteries converted to Sky and Gens Lipos so I can charge a 3C and 5C. It's nice to know that I can throw batteries on the charge and by the time I can get the plane(s) loaded up and ready to go, my batteries will be charged to 100% from storage charge (3.8V/cell).

I just wish I would have known that I was going to want this charger when I started this hobby instead of spending money on other chargers to advance to this level.
harddrive8 is offline Find More Posts by harddrive8
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:17 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harddrive8 View Post
+1. Between the PL8 and paraboards I've picked up, it makes charging a much easier process to bear. I've gotten almost all my batteries converted to Sky and Gens Lipos so I can charge a 3C and 5C. It's nice to know that I can throw batteries on the charge and by the time I can get the plane(s) loaded up and ready to go, my batteries will be charged to 100% from storage charge (3.8V/cell).

I just wish I would have known that I was going to want this charger when I started this hobby instead of spending money on other chargers to advance to this level.
+1 to that. I think that I was fortunate...I started with a simple 50W charger and (thanks to this thread and other 3DHS threads) was able to determine a long range vision for a charging system, and then a fellow Fanatic offered a great deal on a i306b charger and a 24v power supply. With this system and a PL8, I'm good to go for quite a while.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:19 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:

I know what you mean. It's hard to imagine when getting into the hobby that you'll eventually want a charging setup like that or that you'll eventually be buying a 71" (or bigger) aircraft isn't it?

I always try to tell people to try and do it right from the get go but I know from personal experience that that's just know how it works... I've wasted a lot of money this way. Well... I woudln't say I've wasted it because I've had a blast and I'm able to sell most of my used stuff anyway but it would've been much more efficient if I had just gone down the right path from the beginning.

But it's also hard as a beginner to wrap your brain around investing in something other than a new plane. Who wants to spend $500 on a charging setup when you can just buy a new plane with that money??
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:01 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,022 Posts
I just had this charger conversation with my brother that is just learning on his first trainer. I told him he's going to need a decent charger and it would be nice to at least jump straight to a 200-300 watt charger to start with rather than the cheaper 50w chargers available. He just can't stand to spend that cash on a better system so rather than push him I'll just help him sell his used stuff lol.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:05 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
u can get a 10A 200 watt charger from hobbypartz for 50 bucks. I charged a lot of batteries on that thing before I spilled laundry soap in it.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:30 PM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:

+1 It is always better to go with the best from the start (if you can), i have bought two or three chargers and none of those were hobbyking cheapies, basically a waste of money now, however i still use my hyperion duo 3 from time to time
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:40 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer View Post
u can get a 10A 200 watt charger from hobbypartz for 50 bucks. I charged a lot of batteries on that thing before I spilled laundry soap in it.
i dont recommend that technique of cleaning chargers
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:52 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
i dont recommend that technique of cleaning chargers
blue dawn would be much more effective...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:19 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
blue dawn would be much more effective...
ill try this with my new icharger and report back.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:41 PM
United States, AL, Somerville
Joined Apr 2007
905 Posts
Anybody know why the Buck Huck thread closed??
rcl_al is offline Find More Posts by rcl_al
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:43 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcl_al View Post
Anybody know why the Buck Huck thread closed??
yep - the owner of the thread (Tim Semerano) closed it.

As to why, well, the only real answer there is that you would have to ask Tim.

I think a new thread was started just yesterday.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1622551
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:21 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
km

How many flights on the GT-33?

Has the engine stopped running yet without you commanding it to do so?
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:05 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
km

How many flights on the GT-33?

Has the engine stopped running yet without you commanding it to do so?
only once... in an upline, wasn't rich enough... tweaked after landing, hasn't quit since. I do need to get a more ideal prop on it though and properly tune it with that... I haven't done much for the low-end needle...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM