HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:20 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
So this would probably be a nice motor for a Vyper or a SuperVyper (48") ??
Yep. Some have used them in the EF 48" planes, or the 46" yak. Seems to be good power there.
For a 51" Slick the 2825 is closer, but the 3615 is better. The 2825 flexes a bit much for a 15" prop, I think Ken recommends a 13" prop on that motor. Or used to back a year or so ago. The 3615 rocks on a 51 though.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:29 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,704 Posts
yeah, I used it on both a 46 Yak and a 48 EF Mxs. it makes about 900 watts with a 14x7 and a 4s 2200. awesome but still manageable power.

it's basically similar in power output and speed to the omega and torque offerings, except you can use a 13 or 14 prop.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:47 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Just wanted to give a big thumbs up to Noll and 3DHS for getting my replacement 51" Slick parts to me so quickly. Had a mild crash last week and I'm back in the air as of this morning.

The new motorbox went in flawlessly and while I was at it I replaced the very worn out wheel pants.

Excellent customer service as always and quality parts to boot! It's the little things that will make me a loyal customer forever. Saving up for my 71" Slick now...
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:54 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,198 Posts
Good luck with saving for the 71". I'm trying to outfit mine and I keep needing to spend $30-$50 more dollars lol.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:12 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Good luck with saving for the 71". I'm trying to outfit mine and I keep needing to spend $30-$50 more dollars lol.
It's a never ending trail isn't it? I'm figuring I'll need $1,200 to completely outfit mine.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:17 AM
CHOO CHOO
Northern Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
4,126 Posts
This hobby is definitely not for the monetarily challenged.
6L6Amp is offline Find More Posts by 6L6Amp
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:23 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
It's a never ending trail isn't it? I'm figuring I'll need $1,200 to completely outfit mine.
almost have a deal closed with my heli so i should be able to help out with $300 of that
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:23 AM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,735 Posts
Quote:
I made the decision mine is gonna fly on gas I think i'm still debating but i'm at least 55% certain itll be gas.

I'll be budgeting like 1600 just so i don't get any surprises. lol
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:24 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6Amp View Post
No hobby is....$1200 is the cost of a new tourny level paintball gun....it just helps that "typically" this hobby doesnt cost me $80 every time i want to go do it
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:28 AM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6Amp View Post
I like to think of it as a relatively inexpensive hobby, compared to lets say racing motorcycles, restoring cars, flying full-scale, or boating. All of those tend to involve moving the decimal to the right at least one digit compared to r/c flying.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:29 AM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
No hobby is....$1200 is the cost of a new tourny level paintball gun....it just helps that "typically" this hobby doesnt cost me $80 every time i want to go do it
That is the good thing about this hobby. I bought my first 42" slick and like 4 batteries and a decent charger and including a few replacment parts i would say spend a total of 600 bucks. Put at least 1000 flights on it over 5 months. That was a good deal to me. Can't spend that kind of time playing in many hobbies for that little money.

amazing what the mind can rationalize.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:32 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer View Post
I made the decision mine is gonna fly on gas I think i'm still debating but i'm at least 55% certain itll be gas.

I'll be budgeting like 1600 just so i don't get any surprises. lol
I started going down that path but finally decided that since I already have the batteries, the charging set-up to rapidly charge multiple batteries at one time, and basically no knowledge of how to maintain and tune a gas engine that I'd be best served to stay with electric for now.

The only reason I'd go gas at this point was if there is some sort of performance reason but I don't think that really exists so electric it is!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:35 AM
CHOO CHOO
Northern Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
4,126 Posts
Look at the rationalization skills. You guys are masters.
6L6Amp is offline Find More Posts by 6L6Amp
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:38 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
almost have a deal closed with my heli so i should be able to help out with $300 of that
Sweet! It's just sitting there waiting on you!

I did fly it yesterday though. That plane probably hovers better than anything else I've ever flown by the way.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:41 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,198 Posts
Quote:
I started going down that path but finally decided that since I already have the batteries, the charging set-up to rapidly charge multiple batteries at one time, and basically no knowledge of how to maintain and tune a gas engine that I'd be best served to stay with electric for now.

The only reason I'd go gas at this point was if there is some sort of performance reason but I don't think that really exists so electric it is!
Except smoke and more than 6 min flight times Tuning the gas motor shouldn't give you much trouble. I don't think it will require much more maintenance than a lawn mower unless you are breaking stuff At least a gas motor won't throw a couple magnets just because it's mad at you for doing a couple pop tops I'm angry at my Hacker right now lol.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater