HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Discussion
Makibox, the $300 Printer

New printer Project that looks like a crazy good deal! I'll be getting one myself

http://www.makible.com/projects/7-ma...top-3d-printer

http://makibox.com/

MakiBox Funding (2 min 26 sec)
THE_SHRUB is offline Find More Posts by THE_SHRUB
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2012, 11:54 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
The only thing I'm having a problem with is lack of size, I didn't see it skimming through the info. To a point the size of the table doesn't matter because it should be somewhat cheap to go from a few inches to nearly 12x12 table (and movements). I know it isn't exactly free but shouldn't cost too much to scale up. I would want at least an 8x8 workspace and probably 8 more vertically.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Feb 07, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
here are the dimensions

How big is the MakiBox A6?

Dimensions Width, Height, Depth:

Makibox (Currently) 280mm x 210mm x 210mm

Output (Currently) 150mm x 110mm x 110mm

These may change slightly, but the output will not be any smaller. We may tweak the chassis by 10-20mm or so based on final mechanism results. It will not change appreciably.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 02:38 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I thought it looked kind of small, might still be worth the money, have to wait to see how the project progresses and do a little more concentrated reading.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 06:19 AM
Joined May 2010
34 Posts
From what I've found (with a much higher-end 3D printer), size really doesn't matter very much. There are two reasons for this:

(1) Anything large takes ages to print and costs a lot. The Makibox will probably be slower than other printers because it uses worm gears on all axes (others only use worm gears on the Z axis since it doesn't need to move fast). For anything big, it's much faster and cheaper to print plastic parts that allow you to join stuff like fibreglass rods together.

(2) Bigger items tend to have overhangs, which you can't print anyway unless the printer can do a support material (the Makibox can't, and nor can any of the other cheap printers). Therefore you have to split the item into separate parts, each of which is much smaller. Even on the fancy printer I've used, this is often preferable - printing support layers takes ages and then you have to dissolve the support material out in an alkaline bath.

The only thing I've printed so far that wouldn't fit in the Makibox is a model quadrotor. That was right on the limits of what the printer could handle; it's still tiny, it cost something like $70 (prices inflated somewhat because the manufacturer makes a substantial profit), and it took about a week to run (20 hours to print and then four days in the alkaline bath to remove all the support material). If I was actually aiming to make a useful quadrotor (rather than showing off what the printer can do) I'd have bought aluminium tubes and printed a few plastic parts to join them and to mount the motors. This could easily be done on a Makibox.

To put it simply: with the speed and material cost of current printers, it'd be very unusual to actually print something larger than what the Makibox can manage. Therefore the small workspace isn't much of a limiting factor.
SLATYE is online now Find More Posts by SLATYE
Old Feb 09, 2012, 03:24 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Ok, maybe I need to rethink things then.

When you say support material, is this the same material the part is constructed from or is it something different?
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:15 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
no, its a totally different material. Typically its a black plastic that is laid down as a foundation for the part you are making. The 3D printer my high school had used it, but only as a base layer... that machine however was a +$20000 whereas these low end printers only have the one type.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:53 AM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
780 Posts
The_Shrub(bery),
Reading through this post leads me to ask, "what is your involvement in this project?".
What I mean is if you are "the" man to speak to about this machine?
If so, I do have some questions as I am very interested in your 3d printer.
I noticed that your entry level finding is $350, now that entails the "funder" to a complete kit, correct?
(1)What type of material does it use and (2)where does one purchase it and (3)what are some average costs of said material?
What is the resolution of the printer?
What software will you have the people utilize?
And when can we expect a working prototype?
Thank you,
Tom
DeadTom is offline Find More Posts by DeadTom
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:41 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Lol, no sir I am not, in fact I live in canada, the creator of makibox is actually located on the other side of the world in Hong Kong according to his website. I'm just an avid promoter of budget 3d printers and I feel that since he's using his own public/group funding website he's not getting the publicity that say the Printrbot got on kickstarter... Did I mention that I also want one and if it doesn't get funded I don't get my 3d printer! So yes, I do have an invested interest in this to a certain degree I suppose.

I think if he can get the prototype done within the next week he'll probably get this successfully funded, I think he should have gotten the prototype a little farther along before he started the funding but thats just my personal opinion.

If you look on Makibox.com under the FAQ's you may find answers to your questions.. to be honest I haven't even bothered looking at what kind of material its going to use, I'm assuming it'll use some standard gauge material that should be easy to source.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:48 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Funding just hit 25%
Old Feb 13, 2012, 01:06 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
441 Posts
I did my part to try and make this thing happen, Shrub! Good find, hope it turns out as we're all anticipating.

-John
jbarnhardt is offline Find More Posts by jbarnhardt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest creation...
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarnhardt View Post
I did my part to try and make this thing happen, Shrub! Good find, hope it turns out as we're all anticipating.

-John
Awesome! Hopefully there will be others from the forum who will step up too!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:59 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I am going to wait until I see a little more detail.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
I am going to wait until I see a little more detail.
Nothin' wrong with this either
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:20 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I should have said that differently, I'm going to wait until I see more details and finalization on the product.