HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:12 PM
Registered User
R Hudson's Avatar
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
563 Posts
Discussion
PhotoShip One mkTR Professional - Opinions?

I have been looking at a few different mounts and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this mount?

I know DJ knows his stuff but I was hoping for some honest evaluations/comments/opinions.

Thanks!
R Hudson is offline Find More Posts by R Hudson
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2012, 07:44 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Hudson View Post
I have been looking at a few different mounts and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this mount?

I know DJ knows his stuff but I was hoping for some honest evaluations/comments/opinions.

Thanks!
The camera stabilization on this mount is useless, don't waste your money.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 06, 2012, 09:49 PM
Registered User
R Hudson's Avatar
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
563 Posts
Could you please elaborate?

I am planning on using my NAZA for two axis stabilization.
R Hudson is offline Find More Posts by R Hudson
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:16 AM
by Alary Design
Photoship One's Avatar
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,813 Posts
I wouldn't say useless.

Here are videos of it in action with a Canon T3i with the gear drive option and dual roll servo option. Stabilization used was from Mikrokopter FC board.

FYI, the first and second video are the same flight. The first video is from onboard Canon T3i, the second is a GoPro looking at the gimbal in action.

Decarotor - Canon T2i - mkTR camera mount (3 min 19 sec)


mkTR Pro camera mount on Decarotor (6 min 19 sec)


mkTR Professional camera mount on Decarotor multicopter (5 min 45 sec)
Photoship One is offline Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:25 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Hudson View Post
Could you please elaborate?

I am planning on using my NAZA for two axis stabilization.
Direct drive from the servo never works without jitters in the motion. You can buy the MK TR Pro which is no where near PRO grade and then buy the 2 over priced upgrades. Then lets us know if they work as advertised, I doubt it. The mount should be called the MK TR needs 2 upgrades camera mount, I would leave out the word Pro completely.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:35 AM
by Alary Design
Photoship One's Avatar
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,813 Posts
I'm sorry you did not have good results and you are entitled to your opinion Tarro. I don't recall ever getting an email or call from you. We'd have been happy to help you solve your issues with your mkTR Pro. We've had a few customers who didn't understand how to properly set it up with their stabilization system and we've gone so far as to have them send the unit back and we programmed and set it up and shipped back. Problem solved.

As with many products in this world, you can purchase a standard product and add options. The gear drive tilt and 2nd roll servo are clearly described and mentioned in our website as to when and why to use them.

I will let our demo videos and our customers videos speak for the unit.
Photoship One is offline Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:14 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoship One View Post
I'm sorry you did not have good results and you are entitled to your opinion Tarro. I don't recall ever getting an email or call from you. We'd have been happy to help you solve your issues with your mkTR Pro. We've had a few customers who didn't understand how to properly set it up with their stabilization system and we've gone so far as to have them send the unit back and we programmed and set it up and shipped back. Problem solved.

As with many products in this world, you can purchase a standard product and add options. The gear drive tilt and 2nd roll servo are clearly described and mentioned in our website as to when and why to use them.

I will let our demo videos and our customers videos speak for the unit.
I believe when I bought my 2 units the upgrades were not availible. At the time I was naive, I know better now. The design is to flawed to over come with an over priced gear on the tilt and a second servo on the roll. I know about the roll issue because I trusted you when you said it solves the problem and when I installed the second servo it did not do much better.
Why don't you sell the mount with the upgrades that are obviously needed?
As far as Demo video are concerned, they can be rigged, most of the time I don't even use any stabilization when I shoot. I have learned to fly in such a way as to use the wind instead of fighting it.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:54 PM
by Alary Design
Photoship One's Avatar
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,813 Posts
Quote:
Why don't you sell the mount with the upgrades that are obviously needed?
Because they are not needed by everyone. Certain camera weights, stabilization controller refresh rates, and other parameters determine what is more beneficial from one customer to the next.

The moment I would include the upgrades as standard, we'd have customers begging for us to lower the price and only sell them as options.

Can't please everyone all the time, but we go with the largest common denominator and offer a standard package to that group.

Once again, sorry you were unable to tune the mkTR Pro to your liking.
Photoship One is offline Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:16 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoship One View Post
Because they are not needed by everyone. Certain camera weights, stabilization controller refresh rates, and other parameters determine what is more beneficial from one customer to the next.

The moment I would include the upgrades as standard, we'd have customers begging for us to lower the price and only sell them as options.

Can't please everyone all the time, but we go with the largest common denominator and offer a standard package to that group.

Once again, sorry you were unable to tune the mkTR Pro to your liking.
Not as sorry as I am for wasting my money on it.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:54 PM
by Alary Design
Photoship One's Avatar
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,813 Posts
Wow... that seems uncalled for. I was trying to help. Send it back to me and I'll give you a full refund plus shipping.
Photoship One is offline Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:00 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoship One View Post
Wow... that seems uncalled for. I was trying to help. Send it back to me and I'll give you a full refund plus shipping.
Wow, really?
Thank you
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:19 PM
manual flying apologist
Adidas4275's Avatar
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
the mktr looks nice, I agree direct drive is not going to be smooth.... gears, belts or something else are a better option... so get the upgrades if you buy it.


there are some other options out now that were not out 2 months ago..

copterframe's (from turkey) gimbal looks nice, no onboard video yet...

askman's gimbal will be for sale soon and looks nice (i am currently building and testing it)

averticalview has some gimbals, that have not recieved a lot of feedback here.

dont let one good or one bad review from a person skew your own view of a product.

all of them have threads, read all the reviews and opinions and then take a leap
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:31 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,203 Posts
If some people really knew how to set up gimbals and had the right knowledge of the equipment it would be nice to. I have several direct drives and they work like butter its all in what you know and the setup. I guess somebody forget to tell me direct drive will not work.

Michael64
Michael64 is offline Find More Posts by Michael64
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:33 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael64 View Post
If some people really knew how to set up gimbals and had the right knowledge of the equipment it would be nice to. I have several direct drives and they work like butter its all in what you know and the setup. I guess somebody forget to tell me direct drive will not work.

Michael64
Great Mike, can you tell me how to get this direct drive system to work like butter? Do you have samples from your TR Pro mount?
Thanks
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:36 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,203 Posts
Did I say I have a TR mount No I said I have direct drive gimbals and I have alot of video on YouTube and other sites as well, been doing this for about 10 yrs with time comes knowledge and design as well.

Michael64
Michael64 is offline Find More Posts by Michael64
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion mkTR Professional camera mount Photoship One Multirotor Talk 66 Jul 11, 2012 01:25 AM
Sold MKTR Professional Camera Gimbal Quad_Addict Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 4 Nov 28, 2011 11:51 AM
Discussion PhotoShip One Location? sunworksco Aerial Photography 7 Jun 18, 2011 04:52 PM