SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by skydve76, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 02:33 PM
More jets than a carburetor
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,809 Posts
Discussion
Fly RC planes is like building a drug tolerance

My first plane flight was one of those micro cessnas made by parkzone, back in 2008. This is before they were BNF and had to come with a special xmitter. I flew inside the local hobby town and had a blast. I remember that flight in detail.

I later went on to fly a slow stick. The excitment of putting the camera on it and rushing home to watch the vid. I was commited I would get up at 5am to beat the winds.

Tried a FlyZone cessna. To date this is the hardest plane I have to fly. Nearly 3lbs on 1 square foot of wing. No ground steering. What rush.

Then got my parkzone mustang (original brushed version). Oh the rush, and the way I flew all graceful and "way out". The fear of "will it handlaunch this time ok?" The feeling of sucess as it tips stalls and pulls out 3 inches above the ground right after I could tell it came off my hand wrong.

Time went on, f-27c stryker, then my first edfs, su-27 flanker and a gws me-262. With only one lipo, 35 flights was a nice milestone I clearly remember. Underpowered, energy management. Now they are just foam junk to me and I can fly them in my front yard.

Then I got my first HET f-18, moved on to a twin 90mm Mig-29 with thrust vectoring (fly fly). Later the habu 32, now a 90mm l-39 on 10s. I do have a twin 6+ lb 70mm HET a-10 that gives me some joy but who knows how long.

I tried props as well, I have 3d plane, and I had a blue nose mustang I didnt like. I have a helicopter as well, love flying the scale helis, but once again after 70 flights on it, I'm just bored.

With each step I take, I find the previous step no longer enjoyable. Sure I am nostalgic and occastionaly get out the slow stick for a flight or two, but quickly lose interest. I have been trying hard to recreate the feelings I had a long the way. The magic, the uknowns.

Now its all boring. I can pick my nose while flying my habu 32 WOT at 10 feet above the ground.

Tried FPV. Ok its fun, not too fun anymore.

I nearly got out of the hobby last year. I regretfully sold my mustang, my pogo, my e-flite f-86. Sold my scale heli. Threw away a bunch of tattered air frames.

I decided to try to revive my hobby by buying another FlyZone cessna. upgraded it. Sure I had fun for a bit and I still find that little thing a challenge, but its not enough to get me out of bed anymore, nor leave my family to head for the field. I do not have ADD, I have thousands of flights, hundreds on each airframe over the last 4 years. I do not bore easily.

Teaching my wife, soon my 11 year old to fly is exciting but I am not patient enough to really teach it. My wife is PITA, she can take off and land one day, and not even be able to do a circuit the next day.

So one last stop. Turbines. Currently bulding two turbine jets. An f-86D and an f-16. I feel the magic coming back again. It is exagerated by all the nay sayers that tell me I will fail. I love it. I hope its hard. I hope I have a lot to learn. I hope that these guys are RC ninjas and I lack everything needed to even attempt this.

Is this the end all be all that will keep me happy. Or is this the "7 gram rock" that will forever numb me to any sensation this hobby can bring? In some ways I hope so. So I can move on. But in other ways I hope I fail so I have a fight ahead of me to get succeed.

Honestly, my greatest fear will be that I go out and fly my 25 lb f-16 and land it on the numbers. Only to start picking my nose again.

I really would like to give up on this hobby, and get into martial arts again and more Bonsai. I hate picking my nose. My kids do it. Probably got it from me.

The pics below are of some of my collection, present and past. Its not all of them.
skydve76 is offline Find More Posts by skydve76
Last edited by skydve76; Feb 27, 2012 at 01:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts