SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 06, 2012, 12:10 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Discussion
Rules and Regualtions for paid AP work in the UK

I have been approached by a local company to do a bit of payed AP work round where I live.

As I would like to take my general AP work to the next level occasionally, can anyone point me in the right direction as to what is required and what is not allowed officially. Also as I understand it my BMFA membership wouldn't cover this kind of work. And I would like to do this properly before I start. (I do have some time on my side)

This was a photo I did last week, just for myself. (Audley End House)
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2012, 01:27 AM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,440 Posts
I don’t have first hand knowledge but ‘Gary Mortimer’ should be able to point you in the right direction.

Here is a link to his sUAS site with some initial information regarding CAA licensing:

http://www.suasnews.com/uas-regulations/

Good luck with the project looks to be a very interesting location.

All the best.

Gray.
Gray is offline Find More Posts by Gray
Old Feb 07, 2012, 01:43 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,221 Posts
Hi there

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1441760

In particular post 32 on page 3.

Cheers

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:45 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Thank you Gray and David for your replies. Very helpful and just what I was looking for!

I thought I did remember reading something awhile ago but couldn't for the life of me think where it was! (maybe I should have tried search) So thanks for linking to that thread, made interesting reading, again!

Finally I can put my 'B' certificate that I got in 1995 to some real use, seeing as I haven't flown at any model shows for almost 10 years... Which was the reason I got it in the 1st place!

Cheers
David
Old Feb 07, 2012, 12:12 PM
Joined May 2011
40 Posts
I have been looking at some commercial packages that will allow me to map land and was told I would need to get a Basic National UAS Certificate from these people-

http://www.eurousc.com/luass/pilots.html

I've been getting a bit confused with the CAA website and I'm sure that I read somewhere that the BMFA B certificate was no longer accepted?
Sussexflyer is offline Find More Posts by Sussexflyer
Old Feb 07, 2012, 01:47 PM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,444 Posts
BNUAS is not mandatory for less than 20KG, but you would have to provide alternative an acceptable level of competence.

What else is acceptable is the big question though.
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old Feb 08, 2012, 04:10 AM
Joined May 2011
40 Posts
Thanks Shikra I'm going to contact the CAA to get a clear answer about what they consider an acceptable level of competence, if I get some useful information I will post it back here.
Sussexflyer is offline Find More Posts by Sussexflyer
Old Feb 08, 2012, 07:27 AM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
Certainly at the moment it's almost impossible to argue that anything other than a BNUC is acceptable. But, CAA policy is due to change at some point as the current situation isn't ideal.

I have a commercial pilot's licence with thousands of hours, hundreds of hours on seven different military and civil UAS systems and 20 yrs RC flying with BMFA certificates and have held previous CAA UAS permissions yet if I was applying for a new permission now the CAA would still want me to do a BNUC!

Lovely pic TopGearUK!

Ad
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:00 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
This has become quite interesting and annoyingly with far more hoops to jump through! Thanks for everyone's input! So has anyone applied for or done this BNUC course yet? Or has anyone recently applied for a CAA Licence/permission?

Under rating there is no mention of UAV/quad/Hexa craft. There is Rotary, but flying a heli is very different.

2. Ratings available include:

Fixed Wing
Rotary
Lighter-than-air (LTA)
GCS Operation
Over Water Operation
Mountain Operation - pending

Lomcevac, thank you! What are you doing about this? or do you have no need at the moment for said permission?
Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:35 AM
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
We're fortunate that we have maintained a continuous permission since before the CAA policy changed.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:58 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomcevac View Post
We're fortunate that we have maintained a continuous permission since before the CAA policy changed.
That's interesting and now slightly confused, I've just had a long and very informative conversation with European Unmanned Systems Centre. And it appears that even current holders of the CAA policy still need a BNUC-S and end of March looks like the last day for this transition. Although the impression I got was for an existing holder there is less needed from them to get a BNUC-S! Do you know anything about this?

I guess what I'm trying to establish is if BNUC-S is now mandatory or just advisable??
Because if it is now mandatory surly this applies to everyone?
Plus, got to consider the cost now:
700 + VAT for 2 Day Ground School
350 + VAT for Flight test
On top of CAA permit fee's
Last edited by topgearuk; Feb 08, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 11:53 AM
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
Firstly - when people have conversations with Euro USC they often come away with a 'flawed' understanding of the real regulatory situation, but rather one that is skewed towards spending money at Euro USC..... I'll say no more.

As far as I'm aware (and I speak to the CAA frequently) there is no current plan to require existing operators to get a BNUC.

Also there is no requirement to do the BNUC groundschool for those that don't need it.

Ad
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:26 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,221 Posts
Quote:
Firstly - when people have conversations with Euro USC they often come away with a 'flawed' understanding of the real regulatory situation, but rather one that is skewed towards spending money at Euro USC..... I'll say no more.
I'll second that as I almost went down the EuroUSC route myself ....

The CAA are very helpful if you contact them directly about setting up a Permission.

Cheers,

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:44 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
This was the impression I got also, hence the questions on here!

Quote:
As far as I'm aware (and I speak to the CAA frequently) there is no current plan to require existing operators to get a BNUC.

Also there is no requirement to do the BNUC groundschool for those that don't need it.

Ad
This is also interesting and will look in to it in more depth, as I won't to do this properly, officially and professionally. Without treading on anybody's toes or putting anything at risk.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:45 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogster View Post
I'll second that as I almost went down the EuroUSC route myself ....

The CAA are very helpful if you contact them directly about setting up a Permission.

Cheers,

David
Thank you too David, I will give the CAA a call and find out more. Is there anyone in particular I should be asking to speak with? Cheers