HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:33 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,200 Posts
On its side works just as well. It fits in its case that way too.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:04 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
So from what ur saying its better to have the antenna bent straight up at ur head?.. I always have mine bent in the middle position cause I had heard not to do it straight. So I need to start bending it up all the way now?
Whatever orientation that gets the antenna so the top end is NOT pointing at your airplane. Almost no signal radiates from the end of the antenna.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:46 PM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
Ok. I will start pointing it more towards me. Thanks.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Feb 2012
2 Posts
Imagine a donut stuck onto your antenna. The directions where there is the most donut are the directions in which the strongest signal is being transmitted.
shortly is offline Find More Posts by shortly
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:39 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortly View Post
Imagine a donut stuck onto your antenna. The directions where there is the most donut are the directions in which the strongest signal is being transmitted.

While all this dead on in nodes and antenna theory it is a bit less critical at these short wavelengths. In fact I find it pretty hard to demonstrate in practice. Do a range test and get out the prescribed distance (30 paces?) and see if you can cause signal loss by antenna orientation. All the stuff that used to be pretty solid practice at 72 MHz is much less stringent at 2.4. At least that is what I have found. But as they say your mileage may vary! <G>
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Jun 05, 2012, 10:23 AM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,311 Posts
I do this all the time. In fact I have demonstrated the affect to club members who did not believe me multiple times.

At 40 paces antenna pointing up range check works just fine. 40 paces antenna pointing right at plane.. NADA no control what so ever. That's with AR6200 receivers. It's even MORE important with 2.4 as opposed to 72mhz because the amount of power used is so much less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
While all this dead on in nodes and antenna theory it is a bit less critical at these short wavelengths. In fact I find it pretty hard to demonstrate in practice. Do a range test and get out the prescribed distance (30 paces?) and see if you can cause signal loss by antenna orientation. All the stuff that used to be pretty solid practice at 72 MHz is much less stringent at 2.4. At least that is what I have found. But as they say your mileage may vary! <G>
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:25 PM
Chopper
Joined Jun 2006
2 Posts
Plane crash, orange receiver to blane

I have lost two planes to the Oranger Receivers. One a good Sig Senior that I was able to repair. I had just converted it to Electric power. Just after take off at about 20 feet in the air, it just rolled to the left and went down. No control at all. The Ttransmitter is a Spectrum DX6i and had new batteries in it. The antenne was bent and not pointed at plane. The Orange Receiver had a satalite receiver. Next plane was a scratch built stik. It had an orange receiver that did not have a statalite plane as it was designed to be a Park Flyer. Using the same transmitter, the plane did excatly the same thing as the Senior. I was able to repair it also. I have retired the orange receivers and replaced them with Spectrum Receivers. Both planes have nothing else done to them except repaired and spectrum receivers installed. Both planes have numerious flights with no radio problems. A friend of mine had the same exact problem with the orange receivers he bought. He was flying about 20 miles on a different day from where I flew. His planes is totalled. My advice, stick to Futaba or Spectrum, get rid of the Orange Receivers. Remember, " You Get What You Pay For" As for me and my friend, Spectrum and Futaba only.
rfriedersdorf is offline Find More Posts by rfriedersdorf
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:58 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfriedersdorf View Post
I have lost two planes to the Oranger Receivers. One a good Sig Senior that I was able to repair. I had just converted it to Electric power. Just after take off at about 20 feet in the air, it just rolled to the left and went down. No control at all. The Ttransmitter is a Spectrum DX6i and had new batteries in it. The antenne was bent and not pointed at plane. The Orange Receiver had a satalite receiver. Next plane was a scratch built stik. It had an orange receiver that did not have a statalite plane as it was designed to be a Park Flyer. Using the same transmitter, the plane did excatly the same thing as the Senior. I was able to repair it also. I have retired the orange receivers and replaced them with Spectrum Receivers. Both planes have nothing else done to them except repaired and spectrum receivers installed. Both planes have numerious flights with no radio problems. A friend of mine had the same exact problem with the orange receivers he bought. He was flying about 20 miles on a different day from where I flew. His planes is totalled. My advice, stick to Futaba or Spectrum, get rid of the Orange Receivers. Remember, " You Get What You Pay For" As for me and my friend, Spectrum and Futaba only.

I guess different people have different experiences but I fly with 2 clubs who have many many orange receivers. I fly most every day and have, currently, 6 planes with orange receivers. It just never comes up as a problem. We just all take them for granted. It's been that way for close to 2 years.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM