to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:27 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anatum View Post
I named the redtail "Asker". As in, "What's her name?" "Ask'er".

I generally don't name my birds, but my wife and kids do. I couldn't resist the urge on this one though.

A recently released a redtail I named "Lady", and flew a redtail named "Belle" too. Lady was on NatGeo tv this summer in a show on forests, where she was filmed hunting squirrels. I flew her without equipment on though, so she doesn't look like a falconry bird.
That's cool. Lady the celebrity.

I really have to laugh when I'm watching a film on wild raptors when the birds suddenly start showing off jesses. Yeah, uh huh! But I see why they use falconry birds -- they're more likely to be cooperative. I said likely! Like kids and cats, I'm sure.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:59 AM
The Great Filter
Joined Jan 2007
3,522 Posts
Although mostly centred on one particular red-tail, there is a daily collection of incredible photographs stretching back years at:

http://www.palemale.com/

I have found very good shots of this red-tail in many phases of flight there.

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:47 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
1,998 Posts
Speaking of red tail hawks...check this out...

RC Red Tail Hawk 5.4 oz flown by Otto Dieffenbach (2 min 25 sec)
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:15 PM
Fremont, WI
United States, WI, Wild Rose
Joined Jul 2011
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Speaking of red tail hawks...check this out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvRV...e_gdata_player
Well, it has a very nice paint job, and it's a nice flying airplane...

I'm a strong believer that folks should build and fly whatever they like, and I would say he's been successful at that.

As far as any attempt to mimic a hawk though, or to create any illusion of it being a bird of any sort, all hope of that is lost the moment it's in the air. I'm not certain he was really trying to do that though...

I've seen several of these planes with different paint jobs (eagle and peregrine themes come to mind), and while I think some of them are nicely painted, they really don't have any of the qualities I'm looking for beyond that. Certainly they don't mimic the birds they're painted to represent as well as a static woodcarving or stuffed animal would.

And it's not just because they're powered either. The real birds are powered... You just can't stick a prop or fan on it and think it's anything bird-like.

Just my opinion of course...
Anatum is offline Find More Posts by Anatum
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:03 PM
Mongo like wind. Wind Good.
Joined Apr 2004
417 Posts
OK guys... This bird is almost finished.

I made the wiring harness for the wing yesterday ( I have made many before for F3B and F3J planes and this one is right there with those) and the body was worked on today. The two servos were installed on rails and the control actuators for the tail feathers were installed.

All this is curing tonight. Tomorrow, the servos will be mounted and the last phase begins. Programming the radio. Gotta have skills to program the controls correctly. No gyro yet. I'm gonna see how she flys without.

Pictures coming soon. The test glides are gonna happen soon.

V1VrV2 is online now Find More Posts by V1VrV2
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:12 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,278 Posts
Where do you begin trying to determine a CG point on something like that?
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:28 PM
Fremont, WI
Joined Jul 2011
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1VrV2 View Post
OK guys... This bird is almost finished.

I made the wiring harness for the wing yesterday ( I have made many before for F3B and F3J planes and this one is right there with those) and the body was worked on today. The two servos were installed on rails and the control actuators for the tail feathers were installed.

All this is curing tonight. Tomorrow, the servos will be mounted and the last phase begins. Programming the radio. Gotta have skills to program the controls correctly. No gyro yet. I'm gonna see how she flys without.

Pictures coming soon. The test glides are gonna happen soon.

That's awesome!

Can't wait to hear how it goes.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:29 PM
Fremont, WI
Joined Jul 2011
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
Where do you begin trying to determine a CG point on something like that?
I just guess-timated on my hand-toss versions and adjusted from there.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:57 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,586 Posts
opc orn:
ak79 is online now Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:58 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,281 Posts
I can't wait for a successful report! Good luck!
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:21 AM
Joined Apr 2004
417 Posts
Ordered this gyro for the bird. Looks to be a just released updated version of the gyro mentioned earlier. Might not need it but It'll be fun to try anyway.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=28456
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Apr 2004
417 Posts
Success!

The eagle is flying. The weather here is stable overcast and drizzle on and off. No wind at all.

I calculated the CG according to Bob Hoey and balanced the Eagle. Man that took ALOT of ballast. Turns out too much. The first flight was a hand toss and the eagle stalled and turned left. Too fast to correct. The Tail broke off.

The next day was raining all day. No wind again. Repairs done and awaiting a dry day.

Today there was no rain. Went to a park I fly in the Spring and Summer. I had added a vertical stab (fin) made from 1/16 Music wire covered with Saran wrap. Helped my daughter build a rubber band powered Sig plane and I was told many folks were using Saran Wrap to cover them. Neato idea as Saran wrap is crystal clear and worked perfect for my fin. It shrinks very little but is easily 1/6 the weight of plexiglas. Not only that but this fin will flex if needed. ALOT!.

I have to say the body of the eagle is WIDE. So wide its hard to give a very powerful launch. With no wind this makes getting it to flying speed in no wind is ridiculous! I got about 12 short flights in and had to add weight to the tail to balance it out. (Yup, added weight to the tail, crazy huh??) The eagle is a flying wing as far as we earthlings are concerned and it has a very far forward CG. I tossed it again and again and I now have a proper CG location. Its about 1/2 " aft of Bob Hoeys calculation method. BUT... I won't know if its the proper place until I get to fly it on the slope and try a dive test. . I want this plane (bird?) stable in the pitch axis with NO GYROS. Yaw is another variable thats been satisfied for now with the fin. I built it removable and unobtrusive showing only two 1/16" (.062") holes and held in positon with tape. Yes, tape!.

It is supposed to be windy here tomorrow. From the proper direction for slope flying. I'm gonna take this bird to the slope tomorrow if all works out and chuck it off the slope.

Keeping fingers crossed for now...

Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:11 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,281 Posts
Waaah-hoooo! Glad to hear of the success. Yippee!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:57 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
1,998 Posts
Umm...pictures?!
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO