SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:54 PM
Southern Indiana
Joined Oct 2003
207 Posts
Discussion
Got her on her feet today

I bought this BVM Agressor at a swap meet right before Christmas. I wasn't looking, but couldn't pass up the deal! I'm not sure this plane was ever flown! All the rubber had turned hard in the original retracts, and I decided to switch over to electric retracts (the original retracts almost appear hand made as all the parts are epoxied together). I got the HK ( $7 each). switched over and operational today! Took a little work to turn one of them into front steering. Working on getting the fan balanced and installed next. That is two strips of lead that I found inside the nose as I took it apart. It is pretty tail heavy without batteries, not sure how they balanced it with a tuned pipe out behind the cg.
jeffmete is offline Find More Posts by jeffmete
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 11:39 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,862 Posts
looks nice hope the HK retracts can support the weight ...how big of a batt are you using.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Feb 06, 2012, 01:00 AM
Joined Feb 2010
285 Posts
I'm interested in your battery plan as well. I figured out mine today on the Viper. 2x3s saddle packs and potentially a 6s oriented veritically between the intake ducts for 12s total. Aggressor probably has similar layout.
db_sonic is offline Find More Posts by db_sonic
Old Feb 06, 2012, 06:17 PM
ohio
Joined Aug 1999
3,632 Posts
Welcome to the red edf Aggressor club ....
kevin is offline Find More Posts by kevin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Video of my HK Cobra
Old Feb 06, 2012, 06:46 PM
Southern Indiana
Joined Oct 2003
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Thanks, but it is actually orange in real life! I haven't decided on batter placement yet. It doesn't have a lot of room. I'm sure it will have to have part of the batteries stuffed forward as it appears to be fairly tail heavy. I found a 1/2 lb of lead stuffed in the nose when set up with the K&B fan and pipe unit, plus the receiver, rx battery pack were all up there (and the retract servo and valve). I plan on the Hoya 4.5 inch fan and 870 Kv motor, so will probably stay with 8 or 10S. I'm just looking for good flying rather than absolute speed.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 06:47 PM
Southern Indiana
Joined Oct 2003
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Kevin,
What is the all up weight of your agressor? What battery set up are you using? Kv?
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:02 PM
ohio
Joined Aug 1999
3,632 Posts
it weights 15 pounds ready to fly.

EVF 10 cell unit.

more stuff below...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=aggressor
kevin is offline Find More Posts by kevin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Video of my HK Cobra
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:52 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmete View Post
Thanks, but it is actually orange in real life! I haven't decided on batter placement yet. It doesn't have a lot of room. I'm sure it will have to have part of the batteries stuffed forward as it appears to be fairly tail heavy. I found a 1/2 lb of lead stuffed in the nose when set up with the K&B fan and pipe unit, plus the receiver, rx battery pack were all up there (and the retract servo and valve). I plan on the Hoya 4.5 inch fan and 870 Kv motor, so will probably stay with 8 or 10S. I'm just looking for good flying rather than absolute speed.
What motor are you going to use? With that KV 8s is not going to work, you might get 8-9lbs of thrust installed. 10s with that fan should work. Depending on batteries you will get in the 3.7kW at 100 AMP's or so for around 11 lb. thrust installed.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Feb 06, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Feb 2010
285 Posts
unless you can shed the tail weight, it would favor a nice 5 or 6s horizontally right under the cockpit. That will balance it out along with the saddle packs. But depends on batteries and what kind you choose of course.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 04:46 PM
Southern Indiana
Joined Oct 2003
207 Posts
I'm using the Turnigy SK3 Fandrive - 3994-850kv (120mm EDF). I'll wiegh mine later tonight, but I don't think it's anywhere near 15lbs. empty without fan and batteries it was around 6lbs.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:59 PM
Southern Indiana
Joined Oct 2003
207 Posts
OK, I weighed everything. The wing with retracts and servos is 48 ozs, the fuse with servos and retracts, but no fan, motor or esc is 67 ozs, the fan is 7 ozs, motor and esc are 26 ozs and a 10s, 4000mah battery set that I have in my pattern plane is 35 ozs. So putting it all together it is 183 ounces, or 11.5 lbs. Even adding a pound for a separate receiver battery and lead for balance, and it still should be well under 13 lbs.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined Feb 2010
285 Posts
Under 13lbs is good. The 10s 4000 are probably saving you a fair bit over a 12s 5000+ setup.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:59 AM
Southern Indiana
Joined Oct 2003
207 Posts
Well, I'll probably get some larger capacity 10S's to actually fly as these are only 20C batteries. but I had them available for estimating weight.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 05:34 PM
Southern Indiana
Joined Oct 2003
207 Posts
It's a little cold today (18) but I bolted the fan to my Workmate in the garage, and promptly found out half my 10S batteries did not survive the crash early last summer! Doing an inverted snap with my pattern plane, the batteries got ejected thtough the canopy. So I used a 6S 4000 mah battery to test the edf to see if it's balanced well. It pulled 60 amps and sounded like the biggest hoover I've ever heard. How do you know if it's balanced well enough? It seemed pretty smooth. But it's pretty scary to even get close enough to touch it while it's running. If it's at 60 amp at 6s, is it a direct scale up to 10S?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 01:17 AM
Joined Feb 2010
285 Posts
Yes, I believe you'll be right around 100Amps with 10s.
As for balance you can check out the cell phone accelerometer/dynamic balance thread. Lots of good info there. Good to be careful while testing and most are now using a cage or standing behind a barrier for test runups, especially first time runups, just to be on the safe side after hearing about some injuries with fans exploding.