Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 08, 2012, 11:43 AM
Registered User
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
755 Posts
I finally got to try mine out in a plane this weekend. The rx worked great! The plane had some issues (that are hopefully taken care of now), so I didn't get to fly it too long. I didn't have any range issues, but the plane is pretty small so it didn't get too far away. (maybe 100ft?).

Do you think you will be making any more?
balesse is offline Find More Posts by balesse
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 02:01 AM
about:blank
mongo56's Avatar
Slovenia
Joined Aug 2007
406 Posts
Just got the micro radjet yesterday and hooked it up.
It's working fine but I noticed that at certain elevon output both servos twitch wildly and then reset to the correct position. I've first noticed this while subtriming them.
The servos are rated up to 4.2V and the BEC is probably outputing >= 5V but I doubt that could cause this. I'll drop in a diode to be on the safe side.
Any other ideas what could be causing this?
I'll make a video when I get back home to give a better representation of the exact issue.
mongo56 is online now Find More Posts by mongo56
Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2012, 07:12 AM
Registered User
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo56 View Post
Just got the micro radjet yesterday and hooked it up.
It's working fine but I noticed that at certain elevon output both servos twitch wildly and then reset to the correct position. I've first noticed this while subtriming them.
The servos are rated up to 4.2V and the BEC is probably outputing >= 5V but I doubt that could cause this. I'll drop in a diode to be on the safe side.
Any other ideas what could be causing this?
I'll make a video when I get back home to give a better representation of the exact issue.
I do believe over voltage can cause twitching. But I did see someone have twitching recently due to a bad connection between his battery and the servo bus. So double check that all your connectors are sound. Swap them out if you can. Maybe disconnect servos one by one and see if the problem goes away?
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2012, 10:32 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo56 View Post
Just got the micro radjet yesterday and hooked it up.
It's working fine but I noticed that at certain elevon output both servos twitch wildly and then reset to the correct position. I've first noticed this while subtriming them.
The servos are rated up to 4.2V and the BEC is probably outputing >= 5V but I doubt that could cause this. I'll drop in a diode to be on the safe side.
Any other ideas what could be causing this?
I'll make a video when I get back home to give a better representation of the exact issue.
If the voltage is too high, it could be possible that its messing up the control loop in the servo - however I'm surprised that any servo can't take 5v. Which servos and ESC are you using? It may be worth trying to power the receiver off a standard battery pack to check that the ESC BEC is functioning correctly. A video of it all in action would be very helpful too.

If you want, I can post you both a PicoBlade Molex (micro connector) female to male standard servo connector and a PicoBlade Molex (micro connector) male to female standard servo connector. So you can test the servo on another, standard receiver and also test the micro receiver with a standard servo. If so, let me know and I'll put them into the post tomorrow.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2012, 11:02 AM
about:blank
mongo56's Avatar
Slovenia
Joined Aug 2007
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
If the voltage is too high, it could be possible that its messing up the control loop in the servo - however I'm surprised that any servo can't take 5v. Which servos and ESC are you using? It may be worth trying to power the receiver off a standard battery pack to check that the ESC BEC is functioning correctly. A video of it all in action would be very helpful too.
I dropped in a diode and it seems better. It's almost as if the servo resolution is too small and it can't decide what position to hold and is therefore twitching back and forth. This only happens if I hold it at certain stick position.
Servos
The ESC seems to be a hobbywing 6A plush, not entirely sure though.
I'll just fly it, shouldn't affect flight much I hope

Quote:
If you want, I can post you both a PicoBlade Molex (micro connector) female to male standard servo connector and a PicoBlade Molex (micro connector) male to female standard servo connector. So you can test the servo on another, standard receiver and also test the micro receiver with a standard servo. If so, let me know and I'll put them into the post tomorrow.
Please do. Do you still have my address? Don't forget to PM/mail me with the price so I can paypal you the money
mongo56 is online now Find More Posts by mongo56
Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2012, 11:26 AM
Registered User
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,237 Posts
HK has micro servos which are labeled 5V and carry an explicit warning that they will burn up on anything more. Considering those are labeled 2.8V/4.2V it would not surprise me if they are having a voltage problem at 5V.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2012, 12:47 PM
about:blank
mongo56's Avatar
Slovenia
Joined Aug 2007
406 Posts
Well that was uneventful
No problems whatsoever, a bit of right and up elevator trim and it flew hands off.
The twitching doesn't affect flight in any way so that's a moot point now.
I didn't fly it more than 100m away, it's just too small to go further than that.
AUW is right around 60g so it's a floater. I prefer it over the fox, it's faster, more agile and tracks well even without the motor on. Much like the funjet actually.
Oh right, the receiver preformed flawlessly :P
mongo56 is online now Find More Posts by mongo56
Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2012, 06:44 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo56 View Post
Please do. Do you still have my address? Don't forget to PM/mail me with the price so I can paypal you the money
It would be great if you could just pay for postage (2.70) and I'll send the adapters plus a pack of 5 Pre-crimped Micro Molex leads too. Just PM me the address you want it sent too and go from there.

If the other guys that bought receivers want the Pre-crimped Molex leads, let me know by just PM'ing me your address too. Postage to the US is 3.30.

All future receivers I'll sell personally will have them included (unless stated otherwise).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo56 View Post
Well that was uneventful
No problems whatsoever, a bit of right and up elevator trim and it flew hands off.
The twitching doesn't affect flight in any way so that's a moot point now.
I didn't fly it more than 100m away, it's just too small to go further than that.
AUW is right around 60g so it's a floater. I prefer it over the fox, it's faster, more agile and tracks well even without the motor on. Much like the funjet actually.
Oh right, the receiver preformed flawlessly :P
Awesome to hear. Very tempted to get a Radjet 420 myself
Interesting in regards to those servos. I've bought a bunch to go into a Hobbyking 30mm Mig-15 and also used one in the receiver demo video earlier. Never appeared to have a problem with them on my 1.5v Alkaline test pack - however that could have discharged below 5v.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balesse View Post
I finally got to try mine out in a plane this weekend. The rx worked great! The plane had some issues (that are hopefully taken care of now), so I didn't get to fly it too long. I didn't have any range issues, but the plane is pretty small so it didn't get too far away. (maybe 100ft?).
Missed this reply - why oh, why do I not always get a forum post alert from RCGroups ?. Great to hear that its all going well for you too.

I would point out again that these are parkflyer range receivers and when tested on a 880mm plane with the receiver connected to a lost model alarm, I could get the beeper to beep (loosing packets) at around the 300m distance (cross referenced with a GPS data logger and timestamped video). However even with a 880mm span plane, it was far enough out to make it very uncomfortable to fly. So small planes (~<400mm wingspan) and indoor flyers are the most suitable for this receiver. To be honest, any bigger than this, the weight penalty from a Minima would be minimal and not a concern anyway. Remember the distance is line of sight, so according to Pythagoras theorem, 250m away at 100m high, its 269m away - which would be getting close to the range limit (and eyesight on a small plane).

Quote:
Originally Posted by balesse View Post
Do you think you will be making any more?
I've just put 7 more on order with Hobbyking and waiting for them to be posted.
Usually take around 2 to 2.5 weeks to get here from the time the order is placed - depending how long it takes for HobbyKing to ship.

Cheers,
Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2012, 06:59 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
JohnathanSwift's Avatar
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,419 Posts
Are you keeping a list of buyers, and, if so, how do I get on it?
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2012, 09:25 PM
Registered User
rc4j's Avatar
United States, NC
Joined Sep 2001
28 Posts
Subscribed!

If there's a list of buyers, put me down as well.
I'd like 3, to start with
rc4j is offline Find More Posts by rc4j
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 04:51 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Are you keeping a list of buyers, and, if so, how do I get on it?
No list as of yet, so I'm sort of taking a gamble by buying a load in to see if there is any interest. I have 7 on order (HobbyKing have literally just sent me an email to say they are in the post now) and I may possibly order another lot while they have them in stock.

Personally, if they do sell, the cash from the sale would pay some towards a Futaba 6J S-FHSS - the next radio system on my sights for reverse engineering. Or maybe the Graupner system? Not sure quite which to target next. I reckon the Futaba system may (bit too early to say for certain) get a good market penetration, as its a good starter system that I can see die-hard Futaba fan model shop sellers could flog with trainers. Also I know from my own model club, some of the older folk are stuck on 35MHz and refuse to move - but that may be down to them wanting a Futaba system and not wanting to pay a lot! If your not prepared to pay a lot of for a transmitter, then I guess your not prepared to pay a lot for receivers.
Perhaps I should get a poll going to see which next to target.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 05:56 AM
...just an earth bound misfit
Dirt-Torpedo's Avatar
Joined Mar 2010
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
Subscribed!

If there's a list of buyers, put me down as well.
I'd like 3, to start with
No queue jumping.

The little radjet was on my list as well, so I think I might need three myself.
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 07:56 AM
Registered User
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
Or maybe the Graupner system? Not sure quite which to target next. I reckon the Futaba system may (bit too early to say for certain) get a good market penetration
Never seen anyone using Graupner here in the US. The Futaba S-FHSS is pretty new, most of the die hard Futaba fans are already running FASST, but then again those are people who buy Futaba for the brand and are not likely to buy a "compatible" rx over the name brand.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 06:08 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Never seen anyone using Graupner here in the US. The Futaba S-FHSS is pretty new, most of the die hard Futaba fans are already running FASST, but then again those are people who buy Futaba for the brand and are not likely to buy a "compatible" rx over the name brand.
I should imagine a fair number of the Futaba fans must buy FASST compatiable receivers, as both Corona and FrSky sell them and seem to sell well from watching store stock levels.

I was probably thinking more also with a commercial hat on. In the UK already, the Futaba distributor (Ripmax) are already going to ship FTR (Futaba Transmitter Ready - i.e. Bind n' Fly) S-FHSS aircraft. No doubt to try and compete with Horizon offerings. This may be an aim to try and help boost Futaba sales in the UK and I believe the US Futaba distributor is trying to do the same. Also Hobbyking are doing similar Bind 'n Fly packages too - so far it appears for Spektrum only though.

So I reckon a receiver that supports both Futaba and Hitec (plus any other CC2500 based systems) could potentially have a good OEM market for the alternative Plug 'n Fly manufacturers. Purely as an example (I have no connection with HobbyKing), the RadJet 420 could come either in a Spektrum/Multiplex (plus other Cypress chipset users) or a Hitec/Futaba/Graupner/FrSky Bind and Fly style package. Having multiple system compatibly in one boxed package would reduce the level of stock a seller would need and start to allow users to swap between 2.4GHz manufacturer.

Also, for example, a user starts off with a [pants] Futaba 6J and decides that they want to upgrade, they could switch to an [awesome] Aurora 9 without having a load of useless receivers.

Of course the flip side is that breaking the "not able to use other brand 2.4GHz stuff together" rule, could confuse users - especially if the split is based on the chipset used. I should imagine most users are completely obvious on what is going on inside the black boxes and don't really care much either - unless they frequent the Radios section on RC Groups of course.

The other thing is that I'm really interested to see how other manufacturers implemented their 2.4GHz technology and how it compares across them.

Out of interest, does any one know what chipset the Hobbico AnyLink uses (not that we can get it in the UK, yet)?
Also if anyone has any of the Chinese receivers around, it would be awesome if you could pop the lid and see if it uses a CC2500 or CC2510 chip?
I know the RadioLink stuff uses a CC2500 but they have scrubbed the markings off the main microcontroller, so I can't tell what it is, to be able to reprogram it. What does the Assan, Corona (I think this is a CC2500 - but no idea on the main microcontroller), Turnigy (FlySky) and Hobbyking receivers use?

I'm on the look out for other good quality full-range receivers that could be a potential to convert!

Cheers,

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 10:20 PM
Registered User
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
755 Posts
Si, here are some picts of the 4 channel Assan. Unfortunately the chips have their markings scraped off. Too bad as I would love to have a Hitec compatible version of this. It is a 3g receiver and has normal servo pins which is great for most of my planes.

If you think you could actually make it work, I'll send you one to play with.
balesse is offline Find More Posts by balesse
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Hitec 2.4GHz compatible receivers G_Wright Radios 1 May 09, 2011 06:02 PM
Sold OrangeRX Orange RX Spektrum 2.4GHz DSM2/X compatible receiver lrplin Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 2 Apr 18, 2011 12:07 PM
Discussion OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver WSWitby Electric Plane Talk 2 Apr 05, 2011 07:30 AM
Sold OrangeRX Orange RX Spektrum 2.4GHz DSM2/X compatible receiver lrplin Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 5 Mar 30, 2011 05:35 PM
Sold OrangeRX Orange RX Spektrum 2.4GHz DSM2/X compatible receiver lrplin Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Mar 28, 2011 03:38 PM