HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:11 AM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
641 Posts
There are probably three sets of interests big bird:
  1. Ultra-micro / indoor fliers, concerned with size and weight below what hitec already offers
  2. FPV & heli fliers, concerned with features (like RSSI & PPM) beyond what hitec already offers
  3. Budget fliers, concerned with price below the relatively low price point that hitec already offers
I didn't get the impression that many A9 pilots fall into that last bin.
Dirt-Torpedo is online now Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:58 AM
Rusty Team RC
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Mar 2012
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Torpedo View Post
T

3. Budget fliers, concerned with price below the relatively low price point that hitec already offers

Sometimes, you want to fly a 3-4ch cheapy plane, just for the fun.
For this cases I have a HK-t6a plus 2 receivers (6ch - 3ch), but I have to carry an extra transmitter to the field (charge the Tx batteries etc.)
If there was a cheap minima clone, I would fly, carrying only one transmitter, and I would fly even better.
rustiest is offline Find More Posts by rustiest
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:00 AM
about:blank
Slovenia
Joined Aug 2007
406 Posts
Just received and bound mine without issues.
The only thing I noticed is that when binding the green led doesn't go solid, it keeps blinking. I don't know if there's a mistake in your manual, it's more likely me though
I get a solid red led when connected and a blinking one when I turn of the tx so I'm assuming it's bound.
Crimping the micro connectors was definitely the highlight of my day :P
If I have the time I'll make a micro -> standard servo adapter and test it out but I'll probably just wait for the micro radjet to arrive. Should be here any day now.

Thanks again Simon for speedy delivery and support!
mongo56 is online now Find More Posts by mongo56
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:32 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,922 Posts
Quote:
Hey, call me cheap!

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:51 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
3,873 Posts
Quote:
  1. Ultra-micro / indoor fliers, concerned with size and weight below what hitec already offers
  2. FPV & heli fliers, concerned with features (like RSSI & PPM) beyond what hitec already offers
I do! Well maybe a combination of 1 & 3. Want something cheap for cheap aircraft. A foamie which costs under $50 in materials not real keen on shelling out for a $50 rx. If the minima had a spc I might be willing to spend the money.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Apr 24, 2012, 05:55 PM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
I'm kinda drawn to both low weight and low cost

to honest thte Minima (the Rx I used the most) is not heavy and is fine for all but the lightest of projects - sub 400g flying weight and 2g Rx becomes desirable...

lower weight would be nice even at the cost of limited range (300m is plenty for me) but the lure of an 8 or 10$ Rx would be irresistible

BTW what's RSSI and PPM?
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Mar 2010
641 Posts
LOL, you can reuse the receivers after you trash the $50 parkflyer, I know I do. Seems like I misjudged the market a tad .

The 3V brownout on the Minima partially compensates for the lack of SPC.

RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator) can go out of a flight receiver and loop into a FPV telemetry display, so that you have an idea of how close you are to losing radio link being used to control the model.

Sum PPM (Pulse Position Modulation) is one way of sending all of your servo signals on a single cable. It's essentially the same method that buddy boxes and satellite receivers use, but the idea can also be exploited on-board an aircraft to reduce wiring and improve reliability... for example, it finds use in transmitting received servo signals to the auxiliary processors (flight stabilization systems) used on some FPV aircraft and flybarless helicopters.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:01 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo56 View Post
Just received and bound mine without issues.
The only thing I noticed is that when binding the green led doesn't go solid, it keeps blinking. I don't know if there's a mistake in your manual, it's more likely me though
I get a solid red led when connected and a blinking one when I turn of the tx so I'm assuming it's bound.
Crimping the micro connectors was definitely the highlight of my day :P
If I have the time I'll make a micro -> standard servo adapter and test it out but I'll probably just wait for the micro radjet to arrive. Should be here any day now.

Thanks again Simon for speedy delivery and support!
Great to hear that you received it ok. I can't take credit for speedy delivery, I'm at the mercy of the post man for that!

The blinking is a mistake in the manual. I meant to update the manual but forgot

I decided that any flashing lights mean the receiver isn't ready to be flown right now. Hence why the LED still flashes when binding is successful. That was my logic at the time anyway! I'm going to change the LED states in later versions to match other manufacturers (probably FrSKY's) to try and keep it consistent.

In a nut shell, the LEDs mean:
  • Flashing Red = No signal
  • Solid Red = Signal locked on
  • Slow Flashing Green = Awaiting bind signal
  • Fast Flashing Green = Acquired bind data
  • Green and Red on together = Failsafe position saved.
  • Alternating Red and Green = The receiver has no or invalid bind data. On startup the receiver does a number of checks to ensure that the bind data is correct (checksum and value range sanity check). If this fails, it will show this error. This error should only show on a brand new, unbound receiver. If it shows on startup during use, the flash memory is corrupted.

I agree the micro connectors are a bit of a pain to crimp, but possible if your persistent enough! I do include an extra crimp piece in the strip in case to practice on and if one gets messed up while doing so.

In terms of range. At my field, I have measured (using a GPS data logger, lost signal buzzer and a keychain camera) that I can get a rock solid signal at 250metres. At around 300metres it starts to loose packets (servos will start to react slower). Greater than 300 metres and the signal starts dropping off, if the signal is going through the fuselage. If the attenna is in free air and vertically polarised, you can get 350 metres range - but that's starting to really push it. I was testing this on a 880mm wingspan aircraft and flying at that range, it became very difficult to see and orientate.

So anything 400mm wingspan and under, you'll really risk loosing orientation before hitting the range limit. It certainly wouldn't be a distance I would feel comfortable flying such a small plane too.

Cheers,
Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:10 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
907 Posts
Quote:
I actually started this project due to the third point! Even though the Hitec receivers are good value (the reason I decided on the A9, over JR/Spektrum/Futaba), for me not good enough.

I've got some exciting stuff going on in the background, however as nothing is formalised and being discussed in confidence, I can't really say just yet.

Hopefully I'll be able to give more information, in probably around a months time, once things have been agreed. I will say though, it could possibly answer a lot of your requests!

Cheers,
Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:11 PM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
ok, you've got my attention

mmm, lemme see...I see el-cheapo but el-reliable-o 2.5g Rx's coming soon ...with a 300 m range, su-weet
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined Mar 2010
641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
I actually started this project due to the third point! Even though the Hitec receivers are good value (the reason I decided on the A9, over JR/Spektrum/Futaba), for me not good enough.

I've got some exciting stuff going on in the background, however as nothing is formalised and being discussed in confidence, I can't really say just yet.

Hopefully I'll be able to give more information, in probably around a months time, once things have been agreed. I will say though, it could possibly answer a lot of your requests!

Cheers,
Si.
I don't think it's possible to beat Spek for receiver cost with the $7 price point on after-market DSM products, but that collateral damage from a lockout can sure knock a hole in the savings account.

All very interesting Simon. Thanks, and good luck with your negotiations.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:19 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
Same reason I went with the A9. I've got a stack of Optima6's I use in nitro planes. Same thing in Spektrum rx's would have cost a fortune. However now I have a DX8 as well, bought it for heli flying as that's what everyone around here uses. But as I'm getting into flying cheap scratch built foamies the $6 OrangeRx are the go to just because they are cheap and they work. I would much prefer to use my A9 though.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:23 PM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
730 Posts
I finally got time to play with the new rx. Wired it up and bound it and it is working great. The small connectors are a pain, but with a little practice I'm getting used to them. I still need get the whole thing mounted in a plane, but it looks like it is going to be a great setup.

Thanks for all the work on this!
balesse is offline Find More Posts by balesse
Old May 01, 2012, 12:51 AM
Germany
Joined Jan 2010
124 Posts
Hi,
great!!!
I am also much interested your development, Simon!
For me battery voltage telemetry would be much important, I think this is the best advantage of our A9.
I do not want to miss that.
If this would not be I could also use Frsky or Spektrum without much teariness (for my small planes).
xxrider is offline Find More Posts by xxrider
Old May 07, 2012, 05:53 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
907 Posts
Hi all,

Sorry I've not replied recently, for some reason the RC Groups thread notify email is a bit hit and miss arriving to my inbox?

Anyway its good to hear that the guys that have received their receivers ok and I hope your having fun with them. When you get a chance, it'll be great to hear how your getting along with them.

Cheers,
Si.
RCG Plus Member