SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:22 AM
Joined Dec 2007
30 Posts
Great work ,Simon ,my suggestion to you is that you work with Frskyrc .Give them the protocol and ask them to mass produce the rx .You charge 1 usd for per sold unit .I do believe you can earn quite a lot of money from this project .
Again ,congratulations for what u have done ,man
Freeky is offline Find More Posts by Freeky
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:31 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,067 Posts
YES, FrSky receivers that work with Aurora 9 and also have PPM out would be a winner. It also wouldn't hurt to still retain all the telemetry functionality!
Sid3ways is online now Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:47 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,009 Posts
If you work with FrSky for the telemetry rx, I would prefer that they come out with similar SPC and data ports so that we can use the standard A9 accessories. At least until Hitec changes the code when something new comes out and we have to upgrade our firmware.

chewy+
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:38 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
I would love to have a low cost minima size rx with SPC for battery telemetry. Data port I can do without.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:45 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bird View Post
fantastic work and the 2 gramm weight really is a selling point - i currently use minima's and they are great but this is even lighter with seemingly ample range

i just don't have any servos or esc with molex micro plugs on ....

fantastic work
Hi Big bird,

The units I'm selling, I'm shipping them with a pack of 5 molex picoblade connectors and matching crimp pieces - so those that don't have any can make their own. One aircraft I crimped servo extension cables so I could use standard servo connectors and another I cut off the standard connectors and replaced them. So its possible to do either.

The crimp pieces I found were a bit too small for my ratchet crimpers, however I did it very successfully with a pair of pliers. Even though they are a pain compared to standard servo connectors, they do have the advantage that they are significantly lighter in comparison. Which I guess is why they are used around in the RC market place.

Cheers,

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:35 AM
about:blank
Slovenia
Joined Aug 2007
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
Hi Big bird,
I'm shipping them with a pack of 5 molex picoblade connectors and matching crimp pieces.
I completely missed this on the ebay listing.
Excellent, this should come in more than handy.
mongo56 is offline Find More Posts by mongo56
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:55 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
I would love to have a low cost minima size rx with SPC for battery telemetry. Data port I can do without.
You need the data port or something similar like the FrSky has built-in for additional sensors

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:56 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
i've been outbid

Hi Simon, thanks for the info - i think your receiver idea is amazing... 300 metres range is fantastic and your solution of using crimp-on plugs is excellent

I would use these Rx's for all my small stuff / park fliers if they were available

obviously telemetry and volt-watch and SPC ain't gonna happen (not even desirable IMHO) in this weight class - but with a suitably low brown-out voltage for the Rx ... ..who cares

excellent work !
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:07 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bird View Post
i've been outbid

Hi Simon, thanks for the info - i think your receiver idea is amazing... 300 metres range is fantastic and your solution of using crimp-on plugs is excellent

I would use these Rx's for all my small stuff / park fliers if they were available

obviously telemetry and volt-watch and SPC ain't gonna happen (not even desirable IMHO) in this weight class - but with a suitably low brown-out voltage for the Rx ... ..who cares

excellent work !
Could have a spc style port up to 3s using a linear regulator and keep the design small still. Plus the chip has an adc so could read the voltage. I could imagine a built in telemetry current monitor too. No reason why a brushless esc couldn't be on there too as horizon do.

problem is that telemetry requires more work for ce and fcc approval. So pushing up the cost. Also a extra ic would be needed to get decent telemetry range. Pushing cost and size up again.

Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:15 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
Could have a spc style port up to 3s using a linear regulator and keep the design small still. Plus the chip has an adc so could read the voltage. I could imagine a built in telemetry current monitor too. No reason why a brushless esc couldn't be on there too as horizon do.

problem is that telemetry requires more work for ce and fcc approval. So pushing up the cost. Also a extra ic would be needed to get decent telemetry range. Pushing cost and size up again.

Si.
Does an Optima have separate transmitter and receiver chips or does it have just one transceiver chip? When I suggested SPC I was talking if you were to actually partner with someone like FrSky to build a RX based on your work. But 3S would be sufficient in a micro/mini rx.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:45 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Does an Optima have separate transmitter and receiver chips or does it have just one transceiver chip? When I suggested SPC I was talking if you were to actually partner with someone like FrSky to build a RX based on your work. But 3S would be sufficient in a micro/mini rx.
The RF is a transceiver chip but the transmit power is only +1dBm, so without a power amplifier the range would be only 20-30metres. The same is with the receive. It's fairly sensitive but without a low noise amplifier, its around 300 metres (hence the range of a vd5m).

So a full range telemetry receiver has a additional ic (you can get the power amplifier and low noise amplifier) on the RF front end to offer the larger range.

There are other commercial receivers that I could possibly put the firmware on and so make a low cost full range receiver for Hitec. However nothing is confirmed yet so can't say too much at the moment. Stay tuned!

Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:37 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
Now don't you go using Spek hardware as organ donors Si, we got off of that stuff for a reason!

Unless you manage to reflash an AR7200BX.
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Apr 22, 2012, 05:54 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Torpedo View Post
Unless you manage to reflash an AR7200BX.
I think we should ban you for that suggestion. Lol.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:26 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
from various comments on the thread, are there are two sets of interests at play here? - one being to make an additional micro Rx to complete the Hitec range by going smaller size / lower weight...

the other, simply to make a low cost alternative to the current Hitec offer, without any weight stipulation?

the former being minimalist, the latter possibly being all-singing all-dancing ?
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:57 AM
Rusty Team RC
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Mar 2012
29 Posts
+1

I can't agree more!
rustiest is offline Find More Posts by rustiest