HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:43 PM
Auckland, NZ
Joined Sep 2009
373 Posts
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the update.

Will you be doing light weight 4/5/6 ch receivers with normal sized pins (non micro)?
When will we see the rssi feature?

Thanks
bingo17 is offline Find More Posts by bingo17
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:12 PM
Australia, QLD, Hervey Bay
Joined Apr 2008
176 Posts
Simon, do you know if the 2.4 multiplex system is simlar to the Hitec system, i noticed in the first few posts that they used the same chip?
Would the number of MPX radios used in europe make it a viable systems to make receivers for? Interesting thread that i will continue to follow regardless. Thanks Leigh
lee8sec is offline Find More Posts by lee8sec
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:06 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee8sec View Post
Simon, do you know if the 2.4 multiplex system is simlar to the Hitec system, i noticed in the first few posts that they used the same chip?
Would the number of MPX radios used in europe make it a viable systems to make receivers for? Interesting thread that i will continue to follow regardless. Thanks Leigh
Hi Leigh,

Some good news and bad news on the Multiplex kit.

Good news is that I have bought a Multiplex transmitter module.

Bad news is that it doesn't use the same chip as the Hitec kit.
I have read on here and else where that the Multiplex uses the same chip as the Hitec 2.4GHz kit, HOWEVER this is not true! What is of interest however is that it uses the Cypress CYRF6936-40LTXC - which I believe is the same device that Spektrum uses in their 2.4GHz kit. So this means that potentially someone could convert a OrangeRX (or OrangeRX convert it) to work with the Multiplex kit with a bit of reverse engineering! I unfortunately don't have the time currently to research into another Radio chipset to reverse engineer the protocol. However there may be people out there that have already done the Spektrum DSM2 protocol who may want to do the Multiplex kit - DelTang (http://deltang.co.uk/) springs to mind. Maybe its worth firing him a message and ask him about it?

I can post pictures of the RF circuitry of the Multiplex Transmitter module if people are interested and want to see the proof. Also makes it interesting for those that criticises Spektrum's choice of chipset, that the Multiplex system uses it too - albeit with a different protocol (which makes up the majority of the system).

So sorry for this, but it does offer hope that others may convert it for you.

I still want to reverse engineer the Futaba S-FHSS system, which hopefully I can do if I sell enough of the Hitec receivers.

Cheers,
Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:21 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo17 View Post
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the update.

Will you be doing light weight 4/5/6 ch receivers with normal sized pins (non micro)?
When will we see the rssi feature?

Thanks
Upmost apologies to everyone following this thread for such a long delay - my full-time job has been keeping me extremely busy. However I've now done a video, which I'm waiting for YouTube to finish uploading and after that I'll post an update post. I'll also get a couple of receivers up on eBay for others to buy.

I may do a light weight receiver with normal size pins. I have the design to do so, however I would unlikely be able to compete on cost compared to using the FrSky unit as I don't think there would be enough volume. However HobbyKing do stock both the pre-crimped leads that you can attach a servo extension onto (or cut off old connector and solder those on), and a complete adapter lead (and true to Hobbyking, they are not always in stock) - so you can use ordinary sized servo leads without too much hassle.

In terms of the RSSI feature, the micro receiver doesn't have it, as I didn't really see a need for it on a parkflyer range receiver (not exactly going to be used for FPV). I still plan however to convert a Minima 6 receiver to have it outputted on a spare pad on the receiver. To be honest the Minima is probably the most suitable FPV receiver, as there is no 2.4GHz telemetry to mess up video and has dual antennas which are useful at the extreme end of range (can be the difference between having a signal or not when very far away). That has been delayed slightly as work commitments have not allowed much spare time for myself.

Anyway, the video should be uploaded in the morning and once it has I'll give an update!

Cheers,
Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:47 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
Simon,

I don't know if you would have any use for it, but one of Hitec's other sad gaps is the lack of a serial receiver (like Specktrum's sats and Futaba's R6203SB) that can be used with flybarless controllers for helis.

Other interesting applications for this kind of device would be in wireless repeaters, buddy-boxes, and sim interfaces. For example, I can imagine using my A9 to fly BNF toys using an AHFSS RX unit that pushes PPM into my old DX6i's trainer port.

I'd personally love to get an RSSI-hacked Minima and a VD5M or two. Having never used ebay to buy anything, how would I locate your listings?
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:15 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Torpedo View Post
Simon,

I don't know if you would have any use for it, but one of Hitec's other sad gaps is the lack of a serial receiver (like Specktrum's sats and Futaba's R6203SB) that can be used with flybarless controllers for helis.

Other interesting applications for this kind of device would be in wireless repeaters, buddy-boxes, and sim interfaces. For example, I can imagine using my A9 to fly BNF toys using an AHFSS RX unit that pushes PPM into my old DX6i's trainer port.

I'd personally love to get an RSSI-hacked Minima and a VD5M or two. Having never used ebay to buy anything, how would I locate your listings?
Hi Dirt-Torpedo,

Both have the PPM output (for those that don't know, PPM is the combined servo signal - like what comes out of a trainer port). On the VD5M receiver, currently the PPM outputs on a pad on the receiver PCB which you can solder a wire to. This allows you to have both use the standard 5 channels and PPM output at the same time. Later on, if people prefer, I can put a special bind jumper lead mode to set a servo output port to have PPM - like what FrSKY does on some receivers. I did it the other way as I feel its more flexible.

So like you have said, its possible to use your Hitec transmitter as a wireless buddy box slave by connecting it into another transmitter's trainer port - or also use your transmitter with a simulator without a cable! All useful stuff.

I'm not a heli-flyer, but I think the flybar-less controllers take PPM input too. However I believe flybar-less heli's are quite pricey? Or do the smaller micro heli's have them too? So I don't know if someone would trust a parkflyer range receiver (~300m or ~1000ft) on an expensive platform. I know I wouldn't! The Minima receiver could be suitable, but you wouldn't have any of the very useful telemetry features.

I don't know the rules on here in regards to posting eBay auctions? I'll either post a direct link if allowed, or eBay ID, or if that isn't allowed some form of eBay search phrase to allow people to find them. Hopefully someone here will let me know what is allowed and isn't.

Cheers,

Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
Built-in PPM is fantastic news.

Most heli flights are well within 300m range but carbon frames and lots of metal bits do motivate antenna diversity and, yes, costs are up there with stabilization controllers running $200-$400.

Most of these fbl controllers can use one or two Spektrum sats as the receiver, and Spektrum's AR7200BX has even integrated their receiver into one of the less expensive fbl controllers, which is finding its way into little 200 class helis and large 700 class helis.

I'd balk at running a $1000 heli on V5DM but a Minima would be perfect; timed flights are quite normal for helis so telemetry is not quite as useful as it is on planks. I would miss the real-time voltage feedback but only as a backup.

I don't know about buying/selling rules on RCG but I would be happy to get a PM from you with some kind of info about "buy now".
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
Forgot to mention, FBL controllers are pretty powerful devices and most of them will input PPM. Here's a couple for example:

Skookum Robotics' SK720 fbl controller:
  • Supports many input options: Spektrum/JR Satellites (DSM2 and DSMx), Futaba S-Bus, Futaba PPM, Jeti PPM, Graupner JR, and your old traditional receiver.

Skookum Robotics' SK540 fbl controller:
  • Compatible with DSMX, DSM2, DMSS, Futaba SBus (without SBus adapter!), PPM and Traditional receivers

Beast X's Microbeast fbl controller:
  • MICROBEAST is able to process many types of sum signals (PPM / S-BUS / Spektrum).
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:35 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,884 Posts
It would be very nice to have a Hitec Rx that could be used as a satellite. It gets rid of so many cables. I would definite miss the flight pack telemetry, though.

Tarot have just release a $60 FBL controller (ZYX-S), that works really well and has the option of one DSM2/DSMJ sat or an SBus connection.

Does a DSM2/DSMJ sat output PPM or a different compressed PPM? What about a version of the Rx with an SBus output?
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:57 AM
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
Another area where RSSI & PPM will help is with a Minima on a full-range FPV plane, i.e. not long-range and not parkflyer, where lack of Hitec telemetry is a total non-issue.

EagleTree OSD & Guardian has PPM in alpha testing now.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1459473
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:48 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
957 Posts
5 Channel Micro Parkflyer Receiver

Hi all,

As promised, here is an update video of the 5 channel micro receivers.
5 Channel Micro Parkflyer Receiver (Compatible with Hitec 2.4GHz A-FHSS) (6 min 58 sec)

Specs:
Code:
Dimensions: 	21mm * 16mm * 5.8mm
Weight: 	2g (1.6g without cover)
Channels: 	5
Input Voltage:	3.0v to 7.2v
Range:		>300M (Parkfly class)
Connectors:	Micro connectors (Molex Pico Blade)
The receivers will be going on eBay later today (once I've figured out the postage costs) and I'll post back once they're on. At first I'm going to put 3 up, 2 as Buy It Now and the 3rd as a Auction for those that missed the Buy It Now's and really want one. I live in the UK, but I'll offer world wide shipping. According to our local post service, it usually takes around 2 to 3 days for Europe and 5 days for North America.

As always, any questions, feel free to ask - ideally here as its easier to respond.

Cheers,
Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:15 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Hi Simon,

Looks good. I don't particularly need micro rx (I especially dislike those pesky micro plugs). Are you planning on making full range 9 channel rx with telemetry? If so, I would be VERY interested in them.

Btw, the original FrSky rx have fixed length frames (I think). Did you get rid of the "feature". This "feature" has resulted in the servos sometimes being jerky if the frame length have not been set to optimum.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:30 PM
Australia, QLD, Hervey Bay
Joined Apr 2008
176 Posts
Thanks for the info & update Simon. Leigh
lee8sec is offline Find More Posts by lee8sec
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
:
The receivers will be going on eBay later today (once I've figured out the postage costs) and I'll post back once they're on. At first I'm going to put 3 up, 2 as Buy It :
:
Are you taking the piss Si? (just kidding )

I've got the rest of my life, so I can wait a long time, no sweat, but I've been searching fleabay all day and still can't find it.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:47 AM
Paris france
Joined Oct 2008
81 Posts
hello, could you give us source code and protocol between spectra/optima ?
It will be cool to expand channels numbers.....
lud95 is offline Find More Posts by lud95