Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:20 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
How many have you sold?
That's very unfair asking that sort of question!

However these are some graphs on HobbyKing sales of them, which should give you some estimate of quantities:
2.4Ghz A-FHSS Compatible 8CH Receiver (Hitec Minima compatible)
2.4Ghz A-FHSS Compatible 5CH Micro Receiver (Hitec Minima compatible)

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:28 AM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,861 Posts
Quote:
How many have you sold?
Not that many as we have not offered them for very long, and HiTec customers do not know about the option or about Aloft Hobbies, but we are seeing an increase in sales on them as the word gets around.

Also, judging by the phone calls and emails we get, by the time a Hitec customer is debating these receivers, they are also debating converting their radio over to FrSky's full telemetry system.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:31 AM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Not that many as we have not offered them for very long, and HiTec customers do not know about the option or about Aloft Hobbies, but we are seeing an increase in sales on them as the word gets around.

Also, judging by the phone calls and emails we get, by the time a Hitec customer is debating these receivers, they are also debating converting their radio over to FrSky's full telemetry system.

-Wayne
I think you right on both counts.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:45 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,563 Posts
Respectfully, I did not think Aloft had sold a lot since they have not been around very long. So the, "no customer complaints" may be true but there really isn't much of a base.

HKs sales are at least in the hundreds so there is some kind of base out there but that is world wide, so the chance of a lot of the owners being on this forum or thread is small.

I am not dismissing or diminishing the product at all. But since I am not a Hitec owner or user of these receivers I can't even test them.

I do a weekly newsletter. In that newsletter I report new things in the market. I watch the posts and the trends and if I feel I can make a safe statement about user experience I do so. Otherwise I just report that things exist.

So, right now, I am reporting they exist with no value statement. I did the same with FrSky when I first learned of it. Today I report with an endorsement. Today there are several FrSky users in my club, but back in the begining there were not so I had no first hand references. Everyone using FrSky seems to love it!

Just trying to do responsible reporting.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:52 AM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
Quote:
Respectfully, I did not think Aloft had sold a lot since they have not been around very long. So the, "no customer complaints" may be true but there really isn't much of a base.

HKs sales are at least in the hundreds so there is some kind of base out there but that is world wide, so the chance of a lot of the owners being on this forum or thread is small.

I am not dismissing or diminishing the product at all. But since I am not a Hitec owner or user of these receivers I can't even test them.

I do a weekly newsletter. In that newsletter I report new things in the market. I watch the posts and the trends and if I feel I can make a safe statement about user experience I do so. Otherwise I just report that things exist.

So, right now, I am reporting they exist with no value statement. I did the same with FrSky when I first learned of it. Today I report with an endorsement. Today there are several FrSky users in my club, but back in the begining there were not so I had no first hand references. Everyone using FrSky seems to love it!

Just trying to do responsible reporting.
Fair enough-Simon's product fills a niche or void left by Hitec for guys like me who build small park flyers and quality is first rate. Why not ask si to write an article for you?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:05 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,409 Posts
Actually Ed, probably many if not most of the users are aware of this forum. You probably know that Simon is the person who initiated and implemented the conversion of the FrSky Rx's to the Hitec protocol and reported that procedure here on this forum and indeed shipped the first few converted units to anxious forum readers. I got a couple of the 5 ch units soon after they were released by HK and am very pleased with them though admittedly haven't got long mileage on them yet.

I understand and respect your desire for accuracy when reporting on new items to your compatriots. As of this time, I am not aware of any reports of catastrophic failures or even minor performance glitches so I would happily recommend these units - (5 ch).
Greywing is online now Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:08 PM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywing View Post
Actually Ed, probably many if not most of the users are aware of this forum. You probably know that Simon is the person who initiated and implemented the conversion of the FrSky Rx's to the Hitec protocol and reported that procedure here on this forum and indeed shipped the first few converted units to anxious forum readers. I got a couple of the 5 ch units soon after they were released by HK and am very pleased with them though admittedly haven't got long mileage on them yet.

I understand and respect your desire for accuracy when reporting on new items to your compatriots. As of this time, I am not aware of any reports of catastrophic failures or even minor performance glitches so I would happily recommend these units - (5 ch).
Same experience earns the donkey's endorsement! Five Hee, haws!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:21 PM
I can crash anything
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined May 2012
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Same experience earns the donkey's endorsement! Five Hee, haws!
I have been following this thread ince the beginning and have two of the original five channel beta units. they have been in a number of park flyers and I can say they are flawless. I'll give them another five Hee Haws
Jimmy
Rescuejim is offline Find More Posts by Rescuejim
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:11 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,563 Posts
Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback. Encouraging to see the compatible receiver market starting to develop to what it was back in the 72 MHz days.

If I understand it, the SLT protocol may blow this 2.4 GHz market wide open in terms of cross compatibility. I don't know much about it other than the Hobbico Tactic/Anylink uses it and hitec is going to have it in the Aurora 9X which will be released soon.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:14 PM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback. Encouraging to see the compatible receiver market starting to develop to what it was back in the 72 MHz days.

If I understand it, the SLT protocol may blow this 2.4 GHz market wide open in terms of cross compatibility. I don't know much about it other than the Hobbico Tactic/Anylink uses it and hitec is going to have it in the Aurora 9X which will be released soon.

“The moving finger writes, and having written moves on. Nor all thy piety nor all thy wit, can cancel half a line of it.”
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:50 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
994 Posts
Quote:

I think the big word is 'may'. Currently its only the cheap Tactic transmitters, Anylink widget and soon to be the A9X that supports it. Now unless other big names, such as Futaba, come on board, it still could be just another protocol. Considering how much flak everyone gives Futaba for having FASST/FASSTest/FHSS/S-FHSS protocols, I find it unlikely them want to support yet another!

Also Hitec have 3 other flight transmitters that would have to be upgraded to support it too, before we can get too excited.

If the SLT protocol was released as an open source protocol, then it may be a whole different matter. This way, there could be a plentiful supply of cheap receivers, that the Chinese OEM aircraft manufacturers could integrate to create 'BnF type' aircraft.

However this is an ever changing, competitive market. So I believe there will be some interesting developments appearing in the not too distant future.

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:47 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,378 Posts
Simon did Mike Mayberry ever respond when you asked him about his statement that SLT was an "open" protocol? My guess is it's "open" for the big guys but they are trying to keep it out of the Chinese hands to prevent a flood of cheap rx.

But truly the best thing for the hobby right now would be an open radio standard for BNF products.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:15 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Simon did Mike Mayberry ever respond when you asked him about his statement that SLT was an "open" protocol? My guess is it's "open" for the big guys but they are trying to keep it out of the Chinese hands to prevent a flood of cheap rx.

But truly the best thing for the hobby right now would be an open radio standard for BNF products.
Well, if Hitec put SLT in the A9X, then those folks will have access to the list of TX-R planes and Helis that now number about 25 and growing.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...TX-R&search=Go

Hitec was supposed to come out with its own line of RTF, RR and BnF planes. They showed them at the WRAM show last year, but as of this time I have only seen one, the replacement for the Easy Star called the Sky Scout. Based on lack of buzz on the forums, I don't think it is selling well. I don't think anyone knows it is out there. What we see is just that the Easy Star is all but gone.

So SLT may be a better play for Hitec.

Up until lately Tactic has only had 4 and 6 channel standard radios. But they are introducing a 6 channel computer radio based on SLT. So things could start getting interesting.

If we look at the market segment, this would place Hitec as the high end SLT provider with Tactic as the low end SLT provider. Something like JR and Spektrum for DSM2/DSMX.

SLT would give Hitec A9X users access to the cheap SLT receivers too. There is even an SLT brick available with integrated receiver, ESC and servos. If Hitec came out with an SLT line of receivers it could get VERY interesting.

And just wait till FlySky and FrSky get into SLT. Things could blow wide open!
Last edited by aeajr; Feb 19, 2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:01 PM
no discrimination, I crash all
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2011
317 Posts
Quote:
Well, if Hitec put SLT in the A9X, then those folks will have access to the list of TX-R planes and Helis that now number about 25 and growing.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...TX-R&search=Go

Hitec was supposed to come out with its own line of RTF, RR and BnF planes. They showed them at the WRAM show last year, but as of this time I have only seen one, the replacement for the Easy Star called the Sky Scout. Based on lack of buzz on the forums, I don't think it is selling well. I don't think anyone knows it is out there. What we see is just that the Easy Star is all but gone.

So SLT may be a better play for Hitec.

Up until lately Tactic has only had 4 and 6 channel standard radios. But they are introducing a 6 channel computer radio based on SLT. So things could start getting interesting.

If we look at the market segment, this would place Hitec as the high end SLT provider with Tactic as the low end SLT provider. Something like JR and Spektrum for DSM2/DSMX.

SLT would give Hitec A9X users access to the cheap SLT receivers too. There is even an SLT brick available with integrated receiver, ESC and servos. If Hitec came out with an SLT line of receivers it could get VERY interesting.

And just wait till FlySky and FrSky get into SLT. Things could blow wide open!
Just to comment on something you said. They are also bringing out an 8 channel (TTX850) computer radio. No word on price yet, but it is interesting they are releasing 6 & 8 channel systems.
ncsky is offline Find More Posts by ncsky