HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:22 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
Blue led flashing? Yep.

I got the 5 channel to work pretty easily, IIRC. This one has me stumped. I hope I'm doing something stupid.
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:51 AM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
solid red light on the Spectra module and solid red (and green?) LED on the receiver.
Should be solid red only on the reciever after binding.

Try again and move the transmitter about 2 meters away. Disconnect anything but a battery and maybe 1 servo.
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:16 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
I purchased both a 5 channel and 8 channel receiver from Altitude. I had no problem binding and using the 5 channel, but I'll be darned if I can get the 8 channel version to bind. I followed the instructions, and what foamaddict4life listed above with similar results, but in my case a servo on channel 1 or motor/esc on 3 don't respond at all. When bound, I get no beep from the Aurora (don't recall if the 5 channel made it beep when it connected like Hitec receivers), solid red light on the Spectra module and solid red (and green?) LED on the receiver.

Any ideas? I've tried different ESCs and batteries to power the receiver, and tried it with the transmitter across the room. No luck.
Try binding again, but using a standard Rx battery plugged in. Alternatively plug the ESC into channel 8, just when binding.

The older batches of firmware on the receiver gets confused if the channel 3 servo pin gets pulled high on startup when binding and making it think it should be in PPM/RSSI output mode. Its same issue as in the 5 channel, as the code base is the same - but the PPM output mode is only checked when binding, hence even less of an issue. So during binding, it's detected that to go into PPM output mode. If this is the case, when receiving normally, the green LED will be on at the same time as the red LED.

So try binding again, with a rx battery or relocated the ESC connector to channel 8 and it should work.

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:45 AM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
Brilliant! Thank you Simon! It worked great!
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:21 PM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Brugge
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Si,

I'm planning on putting the 8 channel Rx in a twin engined airplane, What do you recommend? Power to the Rx from one ESC (with BEC) and cutting the red wire from the other ESC or can I leave both in?

I have another twin and the Hitec Optima range is be fed by both BEC's of the ESC's and it doesn't seem to mind, I don't know if that's the case with the Minima 8 Ch. I do know that other Rx from other brands don't like that all to much
stevo0476 is online now Find More Posts by stevo0476
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:36 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,555 Posts
So I've got a few of these and realized that the Aurora 9 2.4ghz stock module is incapable of PPM which surprised me. You have to buy another module for PPM Modulation is that correct? I have no modulation menu with my stock 2.4ghz module...

Which brings me to my next question, can RSSI be enabled without PPM for OSD/FPV purposes?
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:15 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,200 Posts
PPM comes out the trainer port. I believe the menu only shows up when something is plugged in there.
jtaylor996 is online now Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:52 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo0476 View Post
Si,

I'm planning on putting the 8 channel Rx in a twin engined airplane, What do you recommend? Power to the Rx from one ESC (with BEC) and cutting the red wire from the other ESC or can I leave both in?

I have another twin and the Hitec Optima range is be fed by both BEC's of the ESC's and it doesn't seem to mind, I don't know if that's the case with the Minima 8 Ch. I do know that other Rx from other brands don't like that all to much
There is a whole debate on whether paralleling voltage regulators and in this case ESCs is a good idea. Personally I don't recommend it nor like the idea. It will probably work, but don't expect to extend the current capabilities by doing it. Depending on the size of the aircraft or if you need additional current handling capability over what one ESC can provide, then I would recommend either a separate, higher capacity BEC or flight pack.

I have an old Twinstar 2 that is converted to a brushless setup and on that I have a Y lead that goes to the two ESCs. Then I have removed one of the red wires on a connector, so only one Y-lead connector provides power.

Cheers,
Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:43 AM
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Si

Thanks for the comment. I'll put it in a vmar twin otter. Nothing fancy and the setup is wel within the limit of the ESC'S Bec

I'm going to cut one of the red wires.

Thanks

Steve
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:56 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,050 Posts
A few questions. I have skimmed the latter half of this thread but am not sure what I am reading.

1) Is there just one line of receivers or are there multiple, I can't tell

2) I see a line on Aloft's site. Are these made by FrSky?

What is the general feedback so far. Reliable? Bulletproof? Jury is still out?
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:45 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
A few questions. I have skimmed the latter half of this thread but am not sure what I am reading.

1) Is there just one line of receivers or are there multiple, I can't tell

2) I see a line on Aloft's site. Are these made by FrSky?

What is the general feedback so far. Reliable? Bulletproof? Jury is still out?
The hardware is by FrSky, and the firmware is by Simon. Currently their are 2 receivers available. Occasionally Simon teases us with new possibilities. They have been very reliable, I have not heard any complaints from my customers.

Hope this helps some.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:35 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,050 Posts
Thanks
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:36 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Thanks
I've used the 5 and 8 channel versions for months!
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:00 AM
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Same here, I have 5 5 channel Rx's in use now, from indoor to parkflyers, without issues.

Range on these little things is more then one would expect too.

I had one were the antenna was broken of (5 channel minima) but that was more my fault (to fast to low)

I added some hot glue at the base of the antenna of all my 5ch minimas to make it more solid.

Steve
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:17 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
The hardware is by FrSky, and the firmware is by Simon. Currently their are 2 receivers available. Occasionally Simon teases us with new possibilities. They have been very reliable, I have not heard any complaints from my customers.

Hope this helps some.

-Wayne
How many have you sold?