HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:16 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,374 Posts
Simon have you given any thought to an S.Bus output option yet? Be curious to know how well it's protected by patents. Though OrangeRx seems to be getting away with using it if it is.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:38 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Simon, I just got a my laptop back up and running with Realflight. I put the 1k resistor as advised on my little adapter, and it works great! I'll be doing a little write up (likely on the A9 thread) shortly.

Thanks a lot!
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:25 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Simon have you given any thought to an S.Bus output option yet? Be curious to know how well it's protected by patents. Though OrangeRx seems to be getting away with using it if it is.
SBus something I've been thinking about. I reckon the hardware could possibly do it, but need to check. SBus uses a standard serial data stream but at a unusual baud (data) rate. I also need to get some SBus kit to test with! The only problem I'm running close to is storage space, as quite a lot is going on in that chip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
Simon, I just got a my laptop back up and running with Realflight. I put the 1k resistor as advised on my little adapter, and it works great! I'll be doing a little write up (likely on the A9 thread) shortly.

Thanks a lot!
Great to hear. Have fun!

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:52 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,960 Posts
How can someone match S-Bus with Hitec...

I had this discussion with Eva, to evaluate replacement of CPPM with S-Bus on D8R receivers, and seems not possible due to hardware limitations.
The new future coming S-Bus Frsky ACCST receivers will have a different processor for this task.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:13 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,772 Posts
How different is S.Bus from CPPM?

Playing with some of the new S.Bus items from FrSky. Will be on the site later today. (decoder and channel changer)

-Wayne
Rotozuk is online now Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:26 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,960 Posts
CPPM is an analog signal, even if it looks digital, the information is in a pulse width, which is an analog information. It is produced using a timer and an I/O line.
S-Bus is digital, on that wire travel numbers, 12 bit every channel/servo info, and those numbers tells the channel value to any device is listening on that wire and decode that stream. It is produced using an UART, a chunk of hardware that some processor have inside only one, others have 2-3 such UARTs. Because D8R possible only UART is already busy with telemetry, this could be a reason why S-Bus is not possible with that platform.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:42 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,772 Posts
Thank you sir!
Rotozuk is online now Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:13 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
How can someone match S-Bus with Hitec...
Why not?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:27 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,960 Posts
Sure, why not... mind too screwed around S-Bus = Futaba equation, which is not exclusive, actually.

Still the question, does the current Frsky receivers have the required outputs to issue S-Bus ? Probably not with telemetry...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:06 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
Sure, why not... mind too screwed around S-Bus = Futaba equation, which is not exclusive, actually.

Still the question, does the current Frsky receivers have the required outputs to issue S-Bus ? Probably not with telemetry...
AFAIK, S-Bus is 100'000baud with 2 stop bits and even parity.

Looking through the cc2510 datasheet (as used on the V8R-II), it can be setup to do:
- With the registers BAUD_M set to 248 and BAUD_E to 11, it'll spit out at 99976baud - giving a 0.024% error rate (pretty near enough). (p151-p152)
- even parity (p155)
- 2 stop bits (p155)

Pins wise, the UART is exposed on Servo connector 4 and 5 (UART0 and UART1 respectively) - so providing the RC filter doesn't cause problems (I'd have to check the values), it should be possible to output. Alternatively a separate connector could be added by FrSky to a spare UART pin to expose it through that.

The only other limiting factor is having enough clock cycles spare to fill the RAM and set off the DMA to output it.

So yes, it looks like it could be possible, just requires a bit of work and thinking!

Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:52 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
I'm having trouble getting my 5 channel minima compatible rx to bind to my Aurora 9. I am keeping the rx and tx about 3 feet apart when binding.
The process I am doing is

1. Jumper on rx connected to channels 1 and 5

2. Tx module at version 3.01 according to the hpp-22. Blue light is flashing on module

3. When power is connected to rx in channel 4 the light flashes green so fast it appears solid.

4. power is disconnected to rx and tx and jumper removed from rx

5. power reconnected tx module has solid red light (I think this is my problem but I can't get it solid blue??)

6. Power connected to rx and it has a solid red light and servos do not respond properly (they move very slow, and do not centre)

Any Ideas?

Thanks in Advance :-)
FoamAddict4Life is offline Find More Posts by FoamAddict4Life
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:43 PM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Brugge
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamAddict4Life View Post
3. When power is connected to rx in channel 4 the light flashes green so fast it appears solid.

4. power is disconnected to rx and tx and jumper removed from rx

5. power reconnected tx module has solid red light (I think this is my problem but I can't get it solid blue??)

6. Power connected to rx and it has a solid red light and servos do not respond properly (they move very slow, and do not centre)
3 . That is normal (the Rx is binded to the TX module)

5. In a Hitec kind of way that is normal too (It's ment to be solid red, even if, in bind mode, the blue LED on the module is flashing, It's a bit confusing.....)

6. Seems like the Rx binds properly and also works acordingly, could be a faulty battery or a BEC that is not up to the task.

Steve
stevo0476 is online now Find More Posts by stevo0476
Last edited by stevo0476; Jan 26, 2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:41 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
851 Posts
Move transmitter away from the reciever, run the motor for a few seconds (unmount the prop) and it should be ok.
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:55 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,739 Posts
I purchased both a 5 channel and 8 channel receiver from Altitude. I had no problem binding and using the 5 channel, but I'll be darned if I can get the 8 channel version to bind. I followed the instructions, and what foamaddict4life listed above with similar results, but in my case a servo on channel 1 or motor/esc on 3 don't respond at all. When bound, I get no beep from the Aurora (don't recall if the 5 channel made it beep when it connected like Hitec receivers), solid red light on the Spectra module and solid red (and green?) LED on the receiver.

Any ideas? I've tried different ESCs and batteries to power the receiver, and tried it with the transmitter across the room. No luck.
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:20 PM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
Is the A9 module for sure in Minima mode when you try to bind?
karl k is offline Find More Posts by karl k