SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:09 AM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Brugge
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
edit
stevo0476 is offline Find More Posts by stevo0476
Last edited by stevo0476; Oct 07, 2012 at 05:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:19 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,943 Posts
Flashed up my HK 5 channel micro Rx tonight. Binding was no trouble and the Rx seems to work fine. Led status was easy to understand, with a blinking green led when bound, a blinking red led when waiting for the Tx, and a solid red led when connected. The supplied instruction are very well written and easy to follow.

I need to do some range tests, but I envisage this Rx will be fine for a Trex 250 or 450, using a FBL gyro, that accepts PPM input.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:30 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo0476 View Post
edit
Your message disappeared! I guess you solved the problem then?

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:28 AM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
Using the 5 channel micro to control my simulator. Now I can wirelessly use my A9 to fly on Phoenix.
This comes in handy when a lot of people are over and I worry about someone tripping on the cable, hurting either the computer, cable or my radio.
Basically, I made a poor man's Sim Stick.
karl k is offline Find More Posts by karl k
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:31 AM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
Almost forgot!

I also set up one of the full range receivers on my Century E640 heli with a Skookum SK-540. Now I only have one signal wire into the FBL unit so the governor function is available.
When a traditional receiver is used, the port normally used to receive the pulses from the RPM sensor and to send out the throttle signal are used to bring in the individual servo channels.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:45 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,685 Posts
Ah, Burnaby, a nice little town, just close enough to run into Vancouver!

I am using two 5 channel "Si Beta" receivers, one in a Dumas WACO YMF 5 and another in a Mountain Models C 180-wonderful!
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:52 PM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Brugge
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
Your message disappeared! I guess you solved the problem then?

Si.
Si,

Sorry about that, problem solved, me being inpatient was one of them

Works like a charm now, great little gems and all of a sudden I have 3 giant Hitec Minimas unemployed

Steve
stevo0476 is offline Find More Posts by stevo0476
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:47 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl k View Post
Using the 5 channel micro to control my simulator. Now I can wirelessly use my A9 to fly on Phoenix.
This comes in handy when a lot of people are over and I worry about someone tripping on the cable, hurting either the computer, cable or my radio.
Basically, I made a poor man's Sim Stick.
How do you connect a reciever to the USB dongle?
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:11 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
quick question ... i have the little molex mini blade plugs but i'm having difficulty getting them onto the rather chubby wires of a HXT900 9g servo... (using needle nose pliers)

is this operation routine or am i pee-ing in the wind attempting this?
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:37 AM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke View Post
How do you connect a reciever to the USB dongle?
The PPM out from channel 1 on the rx goes to the tip of the tx plug on the Phoenix dongle and the ground goes to the sleeve of the dongle plug. For now, I just use an rx pack to power the rx. Later I plan on making an adapter to use USB to power up the rx to make my life easier.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:13 AM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bird View Post
quick question ... i have the little molex mini blade plugs but i'm having difficulty getting them onto the rather chubby wires of a HXT900 9g servo... (using needle nose pliers)

Not a routine operation. I had the same experience making a power adapter but managed to get it done after a lot of fiddling. It wasn't beautiful so I used a fine tip soldering iron as insurance of the integrity of the joint. Fortunately my servo leads had a smaller diameter insulation and were a bit more cooperative, but even they were not beautiful. Too bad the crimpers are sooo expensive.
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:33 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl k View Post
The PPM out from channel 1 on the rx goes to the tip of the tx plug on the Phoenix dongle and the ground goes to the sleeve of the dongle plug. For now, I just use an rx pack to power the rx. Later I plan on making an adapter to use USB to power up the rx to make my life easier.
Not great quality pictures, but here is how I did it. I just soldered the red line from the servo connector directly into the +5V of the USB plug, so it self-powers the receiver.

I did it on a cheap Chinese rip-off dongles as I like to keep my expensive RealFlight + Phoenix dongles in pristine condition in their boxes.

One thing I did notice about the Chinese dongle, is that it appears to pull up the PPM line high. Not a great idea as it can overdrive signal lines if the voltage is too high (i.e. 5v pull up forcing a 3.3v output high). It shouldn't damage the receivers though as they have a simple restive current limiting circuit on the servo outputs. Just not great practice. The main problem is on the micro 5 Channel receivers, as it in will fool it into thinking it should be in bind mode. If you put a 10k pull-down (i.e. connect one leg to the PPM line, the other to ground), it'll solve the problem.

Cheers,
Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:36 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bird View Post

Your not going to find this easy as the servo wires on a HXT900 look like they are too thick a gauge for the crimp pieces. IIRC, the maximum wire size for the PicoBlade Molex crimp pieces is around 30AWG, while the servo wires are around 26-28AWG (remember smaller size in AWG, thicker the cables).

Cheers,
Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:38 PM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
thanks guys, its a relief to know that it's not me that's the problem in this!! cool i have some molex extensions i can solder on so that's the route i'll go
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:06 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Not sure if this is a dumb question or not...

If you connect the PPM out on the 5-channel rx to the SIM are you limited to 5 channels? Or are all 9 in the PPM stream just the rx can only split out 5 into servos? Basically if I want to SIM do I need the 8 channel or would the 5 channel be sufficient?
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver