Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:03 AM
I can crash anything
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined May 2012
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Claudio View Post
Did you already use this receivers that HC sells? Are they confidence? I mean, can we trust it?
I have 2 beta version of this reciever I bought directly from Simon before HK had them and have had 0 problems. A greatt little!
Jimmy
Rescuejim is online now Find More Posts by Rescuejim
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:24 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
I noticed Simon's reply...

The thing I'm not clear on is did he try phoenix and it worked for him or is he just saying he can't replicate the issue doing a trainer to another tx? Not sure if I'm thinking this through all the way but if phoenix is thinking it's Futaba because it's inverted then couldn't you invert the signal with a simple opamp to solve that issue?
I tried both connecting to Phoenix and thru a transmitter trainer port - both worked fine (with the latest firmware in the receivers).

The only time I had problems was when I met all these 3 criteria:
  • I had the transmitter close to the receiver (i.e. less than ~1 to ~2m, ~3 to ~6.5ft)
  • Both antennas are in the same polarisation each other (i.e. both vertical, or both horizontal)
  • At particular points either close up (at the peak of the wave) or were you get reflective additive effects (1+1=2) from the signal.
This caused it to saturate the receivers front end - the best analogy is when you can't hear what someone is saying when they shout directly in your ear. The easiest way to avoid this is keep the receiver further away (1.5m or more) and/or tilt the transmitter antenna side ways. I would stress that you have to meet all three criteria above to see it. If you move away by a couple of inches when really close up, you'd find it would be fine.

If you want to use the 8 channel as a wireless PC transmitter interface, and always at short distances (i.e. <2m - ~6.5ft), you can always just pop off the antenna's from the PCB. In fact this is what I do with mine.

Again, using them at any distance greater than 1.5m (~5ft) - i.e. normal indoor/outdoor flying use, you will not have a problem.

You may have to recalibrate your transmitter in Phoenix when using a receiver as a wireless interface, as, for some reason, it appears that it measures the time period after the pulse. Even when changing between my Optic 6 and Aurora 9, plugged in through the trainer port to Phoenix, I find that I have to recalibrate the interface.

Interestingly (and one of the reasons I stuck with FrSky receivers), they have a very good, well designed RF front end. The VD5M is well balanced and is tuned correctly and the V8FR-II LNA (Low Noise Amplifier) has a very high gain. What this means, is that you should get a good range out of them! On the Aurora range test mode, I found the 8 channel got at least 100 metres (~300ft) and still had a connection. I could have gone further, but I was struggling to visually see if the control surfaces were still moving!

I'd be very interested to see what range the FPV'ers get out of them and how they compare to the Hitec offerings.

Cheers,
Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:36 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,179 Posts
Are the minimas too big for a pz um plane?

Is an SPC/batt telemetry option doable for a future release?
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:33 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post

Good question - that was my biggest beef with the Minima line the elimination of telemetry.

Sadly I bet I know the answer.

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:54 PM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post

I would either go for one of these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idCategory=701
Or hack a spektrum module (if your tx is module based).
balesse is offline Find More Posts by balesse
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:18 PM
Auckland, NZ
Joined Sep 2009
365 Posts
Simon, I need a few V8R4-II (minima conversions) can you help a brother out?
bingo17 is offline Find More Posts by bingo17
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:12 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo17 View Post
Simon, I need a few V8R4-II (minima conversions) can you help a brother out?
I'm trying, I'm trying! Just finished having the run around with HobbyKing as I received the older V8R4, not the newer V8R4-II with my last order (even though I ordered the, as listed, V8R4-II). I've asked them if the stock they have is now the new products, but they haven't responded yet.

I could order from a local supplier however they are 13.14 each (+ 2.50 shipping), where as HobbyKing is 8.6587 each (+ 2.50 shipping).

Don't really want to order from the US (i.e. Aloft Hobbies), as I'll get stung on customs really badly - 8 admin fee, plus 20% tax.

Or Hi-Model is ~10 each + 4 shipping.

So I wanted to exhaust the HobbyKing option before going somewhere else - however they are avoiding actually answering the question I asked (and coming back with a completely different response) in the support ticket system! Grrr....

Cheers,
Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:14 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,163 Posts
Si, I'd rather be beaten in a dark alley by an ugly woman....
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:33 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
Received my 8ch minima from HK yesterday, binding was easy. Now just have to wait for the foamy that I am going to test it in to get here.
Nin3rsAllDay is offline Find More Posts by Nin3rsAllDay
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:40 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
I'm trying, I'm trying! Just finished having the run around with HobbyKing as I received the older V8R4, not the newer V8R4-II with my last order (even though I ordered the, as listed, V8R4-II). I've asked them if the stock they have is now the new products, but they haven't responded yet.
:
So I wanted to exhaust the HobbyKing option before going somewhere else - however they are avoiding actually answering the question I asked (and coming back with a completely different response) in the support ticket system! Grrr....

Cheers,
Si.
Considering what you've accomplished, I think you should warrant a more influential point of contact in the org. If they can't FedEx you a sample at zero cost then they should be instructed to pound sand up their respective , sideways.
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:54 PM
Auckland, NZ
Joined Sep 2009
365 Posts
Thanks Simon, appreciating your hard work and effort!
bingo17 is offline Find More Posts by bingo17
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:25 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Torpedo View Post

Considering what you've accomplished, I think you should warrant a more influential point of contact in the org. If they can't FedEx you a sample at zero cost then they should be instructed to pound sand up their respective , sideways.
Ahh, I would be surprised if HobbyKing actually knew me! Plus I never like to ask for free stuff probably, cauze I iz Britisheesh.

It wasn't too bad in the end. They refunded $8 for 4 of them. So I eBay'ed them and after Paypal and eBay fees, I made enough profit to cover the postage on them plus the other items I put on that order. It shouldn't have happened, however I did better out of it than paying out for the postage back to Hong Kong and having it refunded that way!

Just frustrating that if they just let me know either way, it would help make my decision! I'm tempted to just try doing another order of them (less next time) and see what I get. If they're wrong, I'd just eBay them again!

Cheers,
Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:39 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
Ahh, I would be surprised if HobbyKing actually knew me!
Huh? Why wouldn't they know you? Didn't you work with them or FrSky to get these out there? If HK's Rx's don't run your code, did they develop their own?

I'm a bit confused. :/
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:11 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,163 Posts
Oh, my, here comes that ugly woman....
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:20 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
937 Posts
Can't comment! All I can say is that I can't discuss any agreements that I may or may not have been made with any other parties. Nor can I discuss what those agreements entail.

Sorry that sounds like something a politician would say, however as you can imagine my hands are tied and I have to be careful what I do and do not say.

Rest assured I'm sure most people reading this thread have plugged all the pieces together at some point.

Don't worry, there is nothing sinister going on. Just as usual, any NDA's and other commercial agreements that I may or may not have with other parties would stop any discussion and talk on how things are structured, parties involved and how things work, etc, etc.

Cheers,
Si.
RCG Plus Member