HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:47 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,398 Posts
And a hearty thanks to you Si for all your successful efforts in providing what Hitec has elected to not provide. Great stuff.

I have a couple of HK 5 channels coming and am anxious to try them out.
Greywing is online now Find More Posts by Greywing
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:16 AM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
...Hopefully I have also given more reason for people to buy the fabulous Hitec transmitters - instead of those common as muck Spektrum radios...
BINGO! Precisely what I've been thinking while I followed this whole thread and the argument I've been using lately at the field to convince my flying buddies and newer pilots to move over to the Hitec gear.

I used to have Spektrum gear and had gotten used to the glitching I experienced on almost every flight (I have onboard videos to prove it), then I lost a Radian while thermal soaring (lost all control and just got away from me) so I decided to move to Hitec and I've been happy ever since. What a difference. Rock solid and can't beat the A9's ease of programming.

Having said that, I'm also experimenting with the FrSky gear. I've installed a DHT module in my Optic 6 and D4R-II rx's based on other sucessful experiences I've been reading and seems like a solid system too. I like the RSSI beeping feature especially. It makes it easier to look for range limitations.

So once again Si, thank you for the work you've done and if Hitec is smart, they should thank you too. Hopefully they were not developing a park flyer short range non-telemetry RX themselves (Micro Minima?) simultaneously. And if they were, good for you for beating them to market. Maybe this is lighting a fire under someone's rear end over there.
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:56 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,564 Posts
Ah, the smell of burning arse in the morning....
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:05 AM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Ah, the smell of burning arse in the morning....
Lol.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:20 AM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
I and other heli pilots thank you for having the PPM stream output available on both of these.
All of a sudden the full features of FBL units is available to Hitec users.
karl k is offline Find More Posts by karl k
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:05 AM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
+1 to full range PPM - I can hardly wait for my HK-Minima-8 but delivery is on hold for some backordered flux. Bugger.

In the meantime I'll keep myself amused & busy flying the Hitec-compatible VD5Ms. Those receivers are flawless for flailing around with the 3D Hawk profile foamie and turning laps with the mini Radjet on a full size soccer pitch.

Feels great to be pulling Spek off of my airframes.

Three cheers for Si!
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:41 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
513 Posts
Hip hip, Hooray! Hip hip, Hooray! Hip hip, Hooray!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:53 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
just ordered two more of the 5 channels from HK

this is really the product i dreamed about when i first bought the A9 a couple of years ago

...fan-bloody-tastic !!

2g weight, $13 and enough range for the park with no worries

... i'm laughing and the 8 channel is icing on the cake
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:15 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
I bought two receivers:

* Hitec Optima 6 6-Ch 2.4GHz Receiver
* Hitec Minima 6E End Port 6CH Micro

And I am waiting it arrives from ebay to star using my brand new Aurora 9.

I lost a wing a couple of days ago with a Spektrum DX6I (no control response) and last week, with a full range AR62110 in my Tucano t27 with 1 meter wingspan I lost control again and I crashed the nose .

I donīt know what happens to this mf*&Ļ%$# radio! My A9 receivers must arrive to me be able to donīt use the DX6i anymore.
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
Guys, the HK-Minima-8 is back in stock (buy, buy, buy ) so I ordered another one for my (soon to be FPV) quadcopter.

Luis, this thread is about receivers for Hitec AFHSS systems, but it's not about receivers made by Hitec; and yes, the DX6i drove many people (including me) to use the Aurora 9. Um abraco.

EDIT: Damn. Just remembered I need another Minima-8 for another FPV project.
Last edited by Dirt-Torpedo; Sep 26, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:27 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt-torpedo View Post
... The dx6i drove many people (including me) to use the aurora 9...
+1 here on that one.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:51 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
962 Posts
Not seen any reviews on HobbyKing yet, so hopefully everyone is getting along with them ok.

I've never had a DX6i so can't comment on them! However from looking at the ones at the field, they do seem to have the best interface on a budget radio I've seen.

<rant>
The biggest let down on the Hitec Optic 6 is the naff LCD screen they use. Graphics LCD's are so cheap now and the Optic 6 has been out for so long, there really isn't any reason why they can't upgrade the Optic 6 to have a more modern interface. Even the 'upgraded' Eclipse 7 Pro still uses an awful 80's/90's style LCD. That radio is going to look incredibly dated in 10 years time - which seems to be the average length of time that Hitec updated its radios!

The budget computer radio is so critical (even more than the old 35/72MHz systems) to bring newcomers into the hobby with. As 2.4GHz is so brand interlocked, the base radio is what brings these newcomers into the manufacturers product ecosystem and thus dedicated to long term sales (which brings the investment to drive future radio development). So this base radio should be good value, feature rich (compared to the competition), well presented and good quality. Not the archaic, ugly and old radio that the Optic 6 is.
</rant>

Cheers,
Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:01 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
Haven't received my order yet from HK, at least I know it's in the states so hopefully I will have it by the end of the week. I agree the Optic 6 interface should be updated but I still like my old Optic 6, used it for over 6 years before getting my Aurora recently and still using the Optic as a buddy box.
Nin3rsAllDay is offline Find More Posts by Nin3rsAllDay
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:04 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,518 Posts
Has anyone used the Hitec Hobby King RX's yet?

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:51 PM
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
Funnily enough Si, I was drawn back into R/C by the RTF Blade 400 w/ DX6i, and that radio almost drove me out of the hobby again. It did drive me away from HH. I toughed it out and am now almost DSM free - except for two micro bounce 'n fly helis and a stryker which sits in a closet awaiting the much coveted D4R-II conversion.

Order status: my latest HKM8 order is only in printing queue, previous one still on hold for another item on backorder.

I'm sure they'll work fine.
Last edited by Dirt-Torpedo; Sep 26, 2012 at 09:03 PM.