HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2012, 03:52 AM
United States, UT, Logan
Joined Feb 2012
76 Posts
Discussion
using a 6 channel Tx (Dx6i) for a 3 Channel trainer / switching rudder stick

-background story- (if you want to understand my question better)
I'm new in the hobby and this is my first post on the site, so bear with me. I recently grabbed an ancient old balsa 3 channel trainer that has been sitting in my parents house for ages, from my first attempt when i failed to get into rc planes, I'm now older and have some more experience and have been learning on some UM planes and just started flying some bigger stuff, then i remembered that old balsa trainer i had, i found it at my parents house, and took it out, it had stopped working on my all those years ago, and i didn't know why, but me being older, and much better at working with planes I quickly found the problem and fixed it, so i now had this old working plane, but it had an old 72 Rx in it, no being sure if old stuff would work with new stuff i plugged it all into a spektrum Rx and presto, it came to life, and was now bound to my dx6i, but there is a problem, and now that you have the background story here is my actually question

-actual question

a 3 channel trainer usually has the rudder on the right stick, when i plugged this badboy in my rudder of course was controlled by my left stick, like it should be on a 6 channel rx, my question is what is the correct way to move my rudder control back to the right stick for flying this particular plane?

I have found a few work arounds but i want to know if there is a "right" way to do it. my first work around was to mix my rudder with my aileron, which for this plane doesn't exist. workaround 2 was to simply plug the rudder into the aileron channel. both of these worked, but me being sort of new i just wanted to ask here if that is an okay way to go around it, or if you guys would recommend a different way.
hermanmango is offline Find More Posts by hermanmango
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:03 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Yup, plug the rudder servo into the "aileron" slot.

The slots themselves obviously don't know what servos they're driving. They're simply labeled in the manner of a conventional 4- channel plane for simplicity.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
The receiver's slot labeled "ailerons" SHOULD read "PRIMARY ROLL CONTROL"
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Feb 07, 2012, 08:08 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,140 Posts
As stated above, just plug the rudder servo into the aileron slot on the receiver. Now the right stick controls the rudder.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Feb 07, 2012, 11:59 AM
United States, UT, Logan
Joined Feb 2012
76 Posts
k, thanks for the replies, thats what I ended up doing but i just wanted to be sure.
hermanmango is offline Find More Posts by hermanmango