HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2012, 03:51 AM
Total Noob
United States, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Nov 2008
542 Posts
Discussion
Exceed Forza won't start...

I bought my wife an Exceed Forza 1/10 Nitro Buggy a few years ago. Thing ran very well and exceeded our expectations. It was incredibly fast and my wife had a blast. Then we moved and had other things going on so she hadn't played with it for a year or so. Recently she tried starting it and couldn't accomplish it. She asked me for help, so I spent a few hours trying to start it. I checked the spark plug and make sure it's not dirty, I even sprayed a little bit of a starting fluid... nothing. I went ahead and bought an electronic starter kit, which ended up being a waste of money (kept on braking)... anyways, is this a done deal or is there a way to fix it? I've read around that small motors, if not used for a while, are pretty much gone with the wind... I don't have any mechanical background, so I don't know a whole lot as far as cars, engines, motors or any of that goes.

Could someone help me out please. If I can't get this fixed I'll probably just end up buying her an electric one.

Here's the link for my wife's car: http://www.nitrorcx.com/sparepart51c06.html

-BK
bkboggy is offline Find More Posts by bkboggy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 11:36 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,437 Posts
First thing,starting fluid is for a gasoline engine not a nitro engine. A nitro engine needs compression to work. Do you have a glow starter? Is it fully charged. The engine has a glow plug not a spark plug. If it has been sitting for a while replace all the fuel lines get some new fuel 20% nitro. Check for any leaks in the fuel tank. Make sure the engine can turn freely. It might be gummed up from sitting. If it is break cleaner will loosen it up. Check all the seals in the engine and make sure all the screws are tight. Buy a new glow plug clean and re-oil the air filter.

Set the high speed needle (the big one on top) on the carb back to the factory settings. Most are three turns from the bottom out.
When all of this is done. Fill the fuel tank and put you finger over the carburetor or exhaust. This will prime the engine with a new glow plug installed and the glow starter fully charged start turning over the engine it should start to fire. You wife will think your super cool when you get it running.

Make sure you have all of this stuff
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCB27&P=ML

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJ803&P=ML

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJM38&P=ML

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVH20&P=7
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Feb 06, 2012, 03:31 AM
Total Noob
Joined Nov 2008
542 Posts
Yep, I use a glow starter. Fully charged. New fuel might be an issue, since the one we have is a few years old. I made sure that the car has no fuel in it while it sat around, though. No gumming up, in a very clean condition. I taught her to clean it before storing it. Had to do the same with my dirt bike. Air filter is in perfect condition. Might have to buy a new glow plug I guess. I'll let you know hot it goes.

P.S. Love your profile pic and the quote above it. Those guys are hilarious.
Last edited by bkboggy; Feb 06, 2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:54 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkboggy View Post
Yep, I use a glow starter. Fully charged. New fuel might be an issue, since the one we have is a few years old. I made sure that the car has no fuel in it while it sat around, though. No gumming up, in a very clean condition. I taught her to clean it before storing it. Had to do the same with my dirt bike. Air filter is in perfect condition. Might have to buy a new glow plug I guess. I'll let you know hot it goes.

P.S. Love your profile pic and the quote above it. Those guys are hilarious.
The best written cartoon in the last 20 years. Replace the fuel line it is so cheap and can cause major headaches if it is bad. Good luck
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:26 PM
Total Noob
Joined Nov 2008
542 Posts
Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:28 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
OK, didn't want to start a new thread since I have a similar problem with a similar car. I have a Redcat Tornado S30. I ran it once at idle to begin the break in process. It started easily yesterday and idled fine for the whole tank. Today I tried to start it again, and got it to run for a few seconds then it quit. It might fire for about a second, but I can't get it to run. It is very hard to pull, compression is very tight, then it loosens and fires for a second and quits. I removed the glow plug and tested it. It glows bright red, and I checked for flooding by holding the car upside down and nothing dripped out. So I don't know if it's flooded or fuel starved and don't know how to find out.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:37 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,437 Posts
What fuel are you running? How many tanks of fuel have you run through the engine.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:23 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
I am running that Traxxas purple stuff. The guy at the LHS said it was 20% which was recommended in the manual. I have run through 1 tank. It started immediately on 2nd or 3rd pull for the 1st running. Now I can hear it fire for a split second but then it dies. I can't tell if it's flooded or it's not getting fuel. It feels flooded as the engine jams up when I pull the starter cord, then I pull the glow plug out and pull the starter several times and nothing comes out. There is some fuel going into the carb when I prime it, but there are air gaps in the line as well. Afraid to flood it more if I prime the air gaps out. I know it's a cheap engine but there are many out there using these on a daily basis, I just need to learn more about nitro. Can I get an electric starter for this thing?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:26 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,437 Posts
You should be able to Sullivan Tiger drive might be an option Try a different glow plug an O.S brand just to see if you get better performance . If the engine is new it is going to be tight.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 02:03 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
OK, I got a tip from a nitro guy at a heli fly in last weekend and it helped. He said to turn up the idle speed, I had turned it down last time. And I was not flooding it, I was not priming it enough. It runs fine now, have run 3 tanks so far just driving slow to break it in. I think it's real rich cause it spews a lot of unburned fuel out the exhaust AND sputters a lot at low speeds and at first is real hard to get moving, the engine dies when you give it throttle. I have to give it throttle REAL gradually and then it will clear out and rev up. I am not running it fast yet. So am I correct in thinking I have to lean it out carefully and slowing on the low end needle (on the side of carb where throttle is) to get it to run smooth at low RPM? I am about to run a 4th tank in it in a few minutes, still going slowly, might rev a little maybe halfway toward end of the tank, then on the 5th I'll start to open it up gradually. The sound of nitro is so COOL!

OK, got it broke in and opened it up a bit. Holy crap! This thing is WAAAY faster than I thought it was going to be. It zooms to about 30mph and then shifts into 2nd gear. Looked like 40mph easy. It's really too fast, even for the street, or at least my skill level. I crashed it and had to straighten the aluminum pan in front, but it's fine now. The plastic parts are high quality and did not get damaged. I gotta be more careful with this thing.
Last edited by shahram72; Mar 05, 2012 at 08:28 PM.