HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:52 PM
RC Flying;Lego Contraption Guy
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpower View Post
I just got a new PRB3500 today, next to impossible to find but after a lot of research I managed to find one in Canada thats been on a shelf for 3 years the store owner said. I'm going to paint it CCG colors, what type paint should I be looking for? I already have some decals for 'Cape Naden' from CanMilarAir.com on the way. I guess now starts the research process on how all that is done and what the proper procedure and things like what paint to use starts.
[/URL]

ooo! How much (state CAD or USD) did you pay for it? I know theres a couple in Canada as I called them to see if they'll ship to the United States. I couldn't find one that was under $600 shipped... I know in the United States, there are no more cause I called every single Horizon Hobby authorized dealer in the US.

What I used for my red is Model Master's Guards Red.
MrLego is offline Find More Posts by MrLego
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:51 PM
Capt. Jack
USA, CA, Petaluma
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpower View Post
I just got a new PRB3500 today, next to impossible to find but after a lot of research I managed to find one in Canada thats been on a shelf for 3 years the store owner said. I'm going to paint it CCG colors, what type paint should I be looking for? I already have some decals for 'Cape Naden' from CanMilarAir.com on the way. I guess now starts the research process on how all that is done and what the proper procedure and things like what paint to use starts.

Drpower: DUDE - YOU SCORED BIG TIME Great find! That's incredible someone had a new one still shelved.

As for paints, I've found a high quality rattle can works great.
My preference RUST- OLEUM (brand). For this build I used two types. One was a "primer and paint" and the other was "enamel".

Lightly sand the surface before painting. Although it may look smooth in white, adding color will bring out small imperfections. After I sand (use a fine grit sandpaper for this hull) I wash it with dish washing soap. That dries out any oil residue. No need to go heavy on the sanding, just enough to kill the gloss finish that's already on it.

I recommend LIGHT multiple coats and get some wet sand paper because you'll want to sand between coats. When I say "light" I mean you should start to see coverage by the 4th or 5th coat. Let it dry fully between coats. I close with a heavier coat (not thick- just heavier) for my last coat (typically at 7 or 8 coats).

It goes on smooth! And strong!

As for the color.?!?... You'll have to hit up those who have a canadian coast guard for the color they used. Red can be a tricky color because of the infinite shades available.

My layering of multi layers ultimately served me well. In looking for that perfect "dirty (sea tested) aluminum" color I used a silver metallic under a stainless steel. Wet sanded in streaks and came up with a nice contrast of metal color.

Sorry Mr Lego for the big pix. I'm hoping to kick this to a new page so I can start posting thumbs to help with that loading time problem.
Fodigo is offline Find More Posts by Fodigo
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:59 PM
Capt. Jack
USA, CA, Petaluma
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
Cool, it worked Kev. I'll start posting smaller pics now.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:22 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2006
431 Posts
Nice painting job!! Looks you prefer weathered more than brand new shining
modelerchina is offline Find More Posts by modelerchina
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:31 PM
Capt. Jack
USA, CA, Petaluma
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
It's funny. Easy to make it look new. Much harder to make it look used.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:17 AM
British columbia
Joined Nov 2008
29 Posts
Nice job, looks perfect. I am almost scared to break the seal on my boat. I have several new or fully restored vehicles for the reason I like them better the closer they are to NIB. I like uploading all my pics to Photobucket, select all the photos you want to display / choose action / generate link codes / left click 'clickable thumbnails' under 'IMG for bulletin boards & forums'. Maybe you already know or maybe this sounds confusing, but if you do it once it will seem easy after that. One other tip is when you upload photos to PB make sure and place them in a specific album or just make a new album rather than have all your models in one general album.

drpower is offline Find More Posts by drpower
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:54 AM
Capt. Jack
USA, CA, Petaluma
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
MLB Bay doors and cockpit

Hey thanks DrP! Got it. I totally forgot about those check boxes from PB.

Here's the aft door update on the MLB

Took a while to make THREE exactly the same. By the second door - I though about giving up.

Started working on the cockpit controls. Just a minor alteration. Plan it just to fiddle around with it and make it look a bit different than stock.

Stock:

A pic I found of a MLB being built that gave me an idea.

Last edited by Fodigo; Mar 02, 2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: fixed the pic links
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:05 PM
RC Flying;Lego Contraption Guy
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodigo View Post
Hey thanks DrP! Got it. I totally forgot about those check boxes from PB.

Here's the aft door update on the MLB
/IMG][/URL]
in the cockpit controls, I noticed "Detroit Diesel" is upside down....
MrLego is offline Find More Posts by MrLego
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:20 AM
Capt. Jack
USA, CA, Petaluma
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
Smoker box

LOL - that's too funny! All the more reason to change it. Speaking of diesel - I had a chance to test out the Heng Long smoker box. The guy I got it from said "you put smoke oil in it but any light oil should do" soooo...

I had a spare packet of extra virgin olive oil laying around from a salad I had a while back.

And It worked! LOL

On 12 volts it REALLY WORKED!

I'll likely run it off 7.4 tho... I'll post up a pic later. There's still a lot of testing to do on it first.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:16 PM
Capt. Jack
USA, CA, Petaluma
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
rear aft door on motor life boat

Just finished cutting the holes for the handles to fit into the storage area and the doors fit right in.

I'll clean it up later - still have to paint the doors. and theres more work to be done back there.
Last edited by Fodigo; Mar 02, 2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:58 AM
British columbia
Joined Nov 2008
29 Posts
My office desk

Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Oct 2011
604 Posts
I think drpower is trying to sell it now for $1000.00...

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=136640
dobydog6507 is offline Find More Posts by dobydog6507
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:44 AM
British columbia
Joined Nov 2008
29 Posts
doby is considering making an offer
Last edited by drpower; Mar 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:00 PM
British columbia
Joined Nov 2008
29 Posts
Lets do lunch sometime
Last edited by drpower; Mar 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Oct 2011
604 Posts
A tad unstable are we??
dobydog6507 is offline Find More Posts by dobydog6507