HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:58 PM
Capt. Jack
USA, CA, Petaluma
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
Life float

The buoyancy float (aka life float or other names..) came cracked. I pulled the loose pieces off, cut the wires (blinking blue light and mast plug) and it came right off with little manipulation.

Plan:
1. Make a working radar
2. Repair mast plug (damaged) because the threats were painted over and I stripped the locking nut.
3. Add light underneath.
4. Radar system to run using solar panels.

I originally purchased 3 small micro solar panels that said they could produce enough power to run the radar motor but after hooking it all up, the motor barely moved. So- then I ran over one of these with the lawn mower.

HUMM! . .

Here's the parts.

Solar panel, battery and battery compartment, relay board, and light! Perfect!

Setting up locations: underside

Topside layout:

Looks like it all fits, time to design...

Made a new cap to replace broken top but had to sand topside down to make everything flush

Next step: BUILDING THE RADAR
Fodigo is offline Find More Posts by Fodigo
Last edited by Fodigo; Feb 07, 2012 at 08:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:12 PM
British columbia
Joined Nov 2008
29 Posts
Thanks for the help Catchthis and Fodigo, I found the right forum for this thats for sure. I'll be building my MLB soon enough, I showed the crew of the 47' I work on pictures of these models and they were blown away haha!
drpower is offline Find More Posts by drpower
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:05 PM
RC Flying;Lego Contraption Guy
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpower View Post
Thanks for the help Catchthis and Fodigo, I found the right forum for this thats for sure. I'll be building my MLB soon enough, I showed the crew of the 47' I work on pictures of these models and they were blown away haha!
Theres two kinds of Midwest boats... the one that come in wooden pieces and the ones that are ready to run.... If youre interested in building one, now is not the time to be picky as these are hard to find. I think theres one near me at my hobby shop for $299.99. I dont know what the cost to ship is... maybe $50? depends on how much you want to save...and I dont know if that kit is sold yet...
MrLego is offline Find More Posts by MrLego
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:00 AM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchthis View Post
I sent him a pm with all the details on each kit so its all covered!
but fodigo asked me to do it....
Old Feb 08, 2012, 08:17 AM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,093 Posts
Just figured I would save you the hastle, he asked me via pm also.
catchthis is offline Find More Posts by catchthis
Old Feb 08, 2012, 08:44 AM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,093 Posts
here is the message for anyone interested. I didnt mention the water cooling/no water cooling on midwest/proboat. Re: 47' MLB

search the kit on rcgroups, it is a plank on frame kit. Although I havent built that kit all of the newer kits by midwest were known as the success series. I have built a few of the kits. They come with a step by step manual and full size plans. It will take time to build but they look good when finished. As for the proboat version, it comes completely rtr, here are a few drawbacks. some hulls have this problem others dont, mine didnt. the shafts and stuffing boxes are often bent because of the way the boat is packed, I'm not sure if I posted a pic but instead of a universal between the motor/shaft there is a collar which unless the two are aligned it will vibrate badly. Other than that for a rtr the scale details cant be beat. Now, midwest also made a artr boat I think kit #996, this hull came with motors and dog bones connecting the motors to shafts= no vibration. All you needed to do was add a servo esc and radio and your good to go. Again the artr and rtr boats are hard to come by but they can be found. PS you cant replace the collar on the proboat version unless you add a bracket to the motor mount to push the motor back for room. All three boats have pros/cons, just a matter of preference. I would post an add or keep looking to get a cheaper kit.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:27 PM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
here is the message for anyone interested. I didnt mention the water cooling/no water cooling on midwest/proboat. Re: 47' MLB

search the kit on rcgroups, it is a plank on frame kit. Although I havent built that kit all of the newer kits by midwest were known as the success series. I have built a few of the kits. They come with a step by step manual and full size plans. It will take time to build but they look good when finished. As for the proboat version, it comes completely rtr, here are a few drawbacks. some hulls have this problem others dont, mine didnt. the shafts and stuffing boxes are often bent because of the way the boat is packed, I'm not sure if I posted a pic but instead of a universal between the motor/shaft there is a collar which unless the two are aligned it will vibrate badly. Other than that for a rtr the scale details cant be beat. Now, midwest also made a artr boat I think kit #996, this hull came with motors and dog bones connecting the motors to shafts= no vibration. All you needed to do was add a servo esc and radio and your good to go. Again the artr and rtr boats are hard to come by but they can be found. PS you cant replace the collar on the proboat version unless you add a bracket to the motor mount to push the motor back for room. All three boats have pros/cons, just a matter of preference. I would post an add or keep looking to get a cheaper kit.
huh?
The kit only comes out good if you have previous knowledge of craftsmanship and you could build a kit. Typically the problem with Proboat is that with the poor packaging, there tends to be cosmetic damage to the boat. I have never heard of a bent shaft at all from anyone except for you, but mainly its cosmetic like receiving a cracked hull.

Also, the collar you speak of is the coupling. It comes with a fixed collar, meaning its a straight little steel or aluminum piece that connected the motor shaft with the driveshaft to make the propeller spin. If not aligned properly, it won't make it vibrate, it will cause friction and stress on the motors and ESC (Electronic Speed Controller).

Yes, you MAY purchase a universal joint coupling like I have and replace it with the fixed collar WITHOUT extending the motors forward. But after a while, I decided to just stay with the fixed couplings. It takes a few more minutes to align, but its not impossible.

And as I say, Midwest and Proboat no longer makes these boats, so if you believe you could build the kit version, I say get the kit. Now is not the time to be picky. As days go on, the boats get harder to find.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 02:31 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,093 Posts
mr lego, do you have a problem with me? It seems every time I have input on the subject your only there to put me down. I'm sorry I Dont know every single term for the parts on the boat but you dont have to make me feel like an idiot. I'm just here to help the guy. Aside from the friction on the motor/esc you cant tell me it doesn't make noise and vibrate if it isn't aligned. All of the facts I stated are legitimate problems with the boat that I HAVE heard of in the past. the poor packing and QC in china are factors to the problem of some bent shafts/ broken detail pieces, ect. As with any kit you build, you have to be a handy person to build them. The midwest kits are great starters because they go over basically every step of the build, As a 16 year old kid, I would say if I can build it, a lot of other people can build it. Please dont make this into a personal problem on the forum, this is a great site that has a tone of useful information. This ongoing topic especially.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 06:38 PM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
mr lego, do you have a problem with me? It seems every time I have input on the subject your only there to put me down. I'm sorry I Dont know every single term for the parts on the boat but you dont have to make me feel like an idiot. I'm just here to help the guy. Aside from the friction on the motor/esc you cant tell me it doesn't make noise and vibrate if it isn't aligned. All of the facts I stated are legitimate problems with the boat that I HAVE heard of in the past. the poor packing and QC in china are factors to the problem of some bent shafts/ broken detail pieces, ect. As with any kit you build, you have to be a handy person to build them. The midwest kits are great starters because they go over basically every step of the build, As a 16 year old kid, I would say if I can build it, a lot of other people can build it. Please dont make this into a personal problem on the forum, this is a great site that has a tone of useful information. This ongoing topic especially.
I dont know of any problem you talk about. Youre hallucinating or something man...I was just simply correcting what you mistakingly said so others will know whats right.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 06:48 PM
Joined Jan 2012
21 Posts
catchthis,
your name has been actually brought up a few times with the people I do RC cars with and at the local hobby shop. Not in a good way either... Please do NOT start an argument with Mr Lego or anyone else on the thread.
He did not say you can't build a boat. Also, just cause you could build it, doesn't mean everyone else could. MrLego just stated that it'd be easier for someone who has had a crafty background.

typed voice is hard to read and may be misread. I do not see any targeted anger towards you. Also, it was wrong for you to be dropping in on a conversation that was between "Fodgo," "DrPower," and "Mrlego."

As for the rest, IM STILL LOOKING FOR A MOTOR LIFEBOAT!!! ARGH!!!
I knew I should have bid on the one I saw on ebay...
MrFriendly is offline Find More Posts by MrFriendly
Last edited by MrFriendly; Feb 08, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 07:02 PM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFriendly View Post
catchthis,
your name has been actually brought up a few times with the people I do RC cars with and at the local hobby shop. Not in a good way either... Please do NOT start an argument with Mr Lego or anyone else on the thread.
He did not say you can't build a boat. Also, just cause you could build it, doesn't mean everyone else could. MrLego just stated that it'd be easier for someone who has had a crafty background.

typed voice is hard to read and may be misread. I do not see any targeted anger towards you. Also, it was wrong for you to be dropping in on a conversation that was between "Fodgo," "DrPower," and "Mrlego."

As for the rest, IM STILL LOOKING FOR A MOTOR LIFEBOAT!!! ARGH!!!
I knew I should have bid on the one I saw on ebay...
Thanks!
gosh darn it! When did you see that? Was it like a couple months ago that was removed from ebay? Should get it next time with no thoughts to consider. Like I said earlier, HARD TO FIND!!! but with the problems it has, its easy to fix. you could probably do it!
Old Feb 08, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Jan 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLego View Post
Thanks!
gosh darn it! When did you see that? Was it like a couple months ago that was removed from ebay? Should get it next time with no thoughts to consider. Like I said earlier, HARD TO FIND!!! but with the problems it has, its easy to fix. you could probably do it!
I don't know... I saw it but never followed the posting.

apparently I should be able to build a boat and fix it... I mean if a teen could... but I guess I'm not smarter than a teen.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 07:09 PM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFriendly View Post
I don't know... I saw it but never followed the posting.

apparently I should be able to build a boat and fix it... I mean if a teen could... but I guess I'm not smarter than a teen.
building a boat is hard... I helped a friend once, and man... those instructions gave me a headache. fix it isn't that bad though! Its basically analyze the problem, formulate a theory, formulate a solution, and test the solution. Me and Fodigo have been doing that to our boats with the water leaks. We think its the on-board toilet... but we ruled that out.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Jan 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLego View Post
building a boat is hard... I helped a friend once, and man... those instructions gave me a headache. fix it isn't that bad though! Its basically analyze the problem, formulate a theory, formulate a solution, and test the solution. Me and Fodigo have been doing that to our boats with the water leaks. We think its the on-board toilet... but we ruled that out.
HOLY CRAP! you guys have a working toilet? thats sick!
Old Feb 08, 2012, 07:31 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,093 Posts
mrfriendly, maybe you shouldn't be sticking your nose where it doesn't belong, the conversation was also between myself and drpower, ask him. I received a pm and I wont quote it since its a private message but it went along these lines... I see your online........... what do you think about that kit? So I'm pretty sure it not only involved mrlego and fodigo but also myself. If you dont mind sending me a pm mrfriendly, I would like to know what rumors are being spread about me. I find it strange that there would be rumors circulating in the car world since I have only owned two cars and have never posted on the car forum, or even gone to a track, I have simply stuck to my woods and I no longer have either car. What state are you in, not that you need to say it if you would like to keep it private but I would like to know. I also find it strange that you have only been a member of rcgroups for 16 or 17 days and you know so much about me! Weird. Anyway I would like to hear via pm what rumors have circulated about me and let you know the truth about the person if and only if I know who the person is, and I have a hunch I do. I'll send a pm to you with the name of the person and if I'm right just say it was him, if not you dont need to name people but please back up with reasons why my name has been brought up. after you me fodigo and mrlego have read each others posts I recommend we all delete out the "argument related" posts so no one is spooked from the MLB topic. If you guys dont agree with that I completely understand and my posts will be staying as well.
Last edited by catchthis; Feb 08, 2012 at 08:10 PM.