Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:01 PM
Plane psycho
Trondheim Vaernes, Norway
Joined Jan 2003
85 Posts
Build Log
Hobbyking Rigger

Some may have seen it, some haven't.
Hobbyking has now outrigger in boat section.
I`ve had a few extra bucks and space in my last order, so ordered one.

As soon as I get it, I will do a mini review, but for now here is a buddy code.

Find my codes here: http://hk.rc-international.info/swarm/insanety (valid until February 19, 2012)

Wooden Sponson Race Boat Kit (495mm) Save US$: 7.64
Insanety is offline Find More Posts by Insanety
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:22 AM
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jun 2008
178 Posts
Your buddy code tipped the scale for me and I bought. I bought the advertised rudder and the HK servo in the "add box" There was no infor for strut so I will figure that out once I get it.
Basstronics is offline Find More Posts by Basstronics
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:39 AM
Harrington N.S.W. Australia
Joined Jul 2006
118 Posts
Hi Insanety

It looks like no one has noticed that the offset for the drive line is on the wrong side of the tub..Just thought I would bring that to your attention..Wouldn't take much work to fix..Still would be a good buy for that price.. John
john mc lucas is offline Find More Posts by john mc lucas
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:42 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,783 Posts
Should be a pretty easy fix by flipping a couple parts around before assembly.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:49 AM
Plane psycho
Trondheim Vaernes, Norway
Joined Jan 2003
85 Posts
Finally got the package containing the boat kit , first impressions are good.
Nice 2mm plywood sheet, with no major burn marks.
Only negative for now is that the holding tabs are on some parts larger that I'd like them.
But it's a minor detail, no show stoper.
Briefly read the manual, no surprises there. looks to be a fast build.
Just got a lovely daughter, so my build time is reduced. But I'll try to squeeze some build time in between diapers and work.
Insanety is offline Find More Posts by Insanety
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:20 PM
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jun 2008
178 Posts
Good luck. Mine was warped and Im still in process of straightening it.

Found the strut for these to, I think.
Basstronics is offline Find More Posts by Basstronics
Old Mar 08, 2012, 05:48 PM
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Oct 2007
38 Posts
here's another buddy code makes it $13.42
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...4-F84A21E887CC
oscarel is online now Find More Posts by oscarel
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:05 PM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,320 Posts
Almost ready!

Hi Insanety, congrats on the new daughter It won't be until she's around 13 that you need to get the shotgun

I got mine two weeks ago... I mean the rigger , getting ready to resin (polyester) it. It is a fast build but you have to take care building the sponsoons, especially the outside sidewall with the curve. I did nothing special to soften the outside wall, just use good clamps. I'm using D3 and D4 wood cement (Bison) which is strong enough to apply in two settings (take your time!) and the wood is of good quality. You will have to sand plenty

John is correct about the offset, also take care on the rib cage on the side walls be sure you have the same space all over on both sides. One rod is longer than the other. Make plans for the turnfin early and make sure that it stays. I personalized mine by adding a cockpit, which could end up as an airfoil, I'm not sure if that's good or bad

When you put it all together make sure your sponsoons are matched in height and flatness, somehow the rods seem wrapped. You should end up with about 200grams, I have no experience with wood so I don't know if that is a good weight for the size of the boat. The class I'm racing it in asks for at least 500grams, HW is around 200grams and batteries 150grams, I hope to keep the resin, paint and decals at no more than 50grams, I'm probably doing only the outside of the sponsoons, the fuselage will be done in and out.

Good luck on your build! Boo
pkboo is offline Find More Posts by pkboo
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:33 AM
Maple Ridge B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2006
40 Posts
Does anyone have a list of the additional parts required?

I would like to order all at once and try to save on shipping.
stinker is online now Find More Posts by stinker
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:01 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,577 Posts
Hey Boo. Long time no see! How's life in the land of the cheese & tulips?

I just received one of these, an assembled hull, from ELERC along with their new Mini Y for testing & am in the process of assembling it. Will let you know how it performs this weekend after it gets wet.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:33 PM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,320 Posts
Dude!

Hey Chuck, yep it's been awhile, a lot is due to me ....haven't been online quite as often as I would like to but that's how life goes or as Tom would say that's how the cookie crumbles! But everything is well in the land of below sea level and Moulins, preparing ourselves for yet another season of boat racing ....after three years I'm pretty much getting addicted going now for three classes ...we have such a good time, three years ago I had no idea who these guys where and now we're like old friends...with capitals on Old

BTW I might be coming your way end of the year, well not necessarily Hangzhou but at least HK, we'll see how we're going to do it on our yearly Philippine visit, will let you know the plans ..who knows we might be able to arrange the bumping into each other

Looking forward on your report how it handles H2O. I must say that I'm impressed with the quality of the wood and how it was cut and fits. I'm on the verge to start putting resin on it. Did some add-on's, two floaters in the back ....read somewhere that this adds some stability in corners, the pontoons are adjustable for water type, adjusting asymmetrically to the right has some advantages in rough water and cornering.

I also added some itsy bitsy planing area to the pontoons, this is mostly because I had my modeller's instinct playing on me as was the addition of the cockpit To compensate on the latter which might function as a spoiler keeping the back end down, I left the forward area from the motor on empty so I could play with the batteries for the CoG.

My apologies Insanety it looks like I've just hijacked your thread I hope I could've given you some idea to add your own add-on's

Stinker, I'm intending on using this motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17152 and this rudder http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12200. The HW I'm going to use is from MHZ and it's the same drive I have on my Miss Madison, I will also probably use a 31mm prop.

Hey Chuck will talk to you... Eugene
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:27 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,577 Posts
Looking good, Eugene! To stay OT with Insanity's thread, I'll stick with the boat & send you a separate email to catch up where we left off.

Mine came direct from the manufacturer along with their fiberglass Mini Y which is "similar" to Tenshock's Mini Starship. Both were ordered ARTR but the shrimp was semi-assembled with hull & sponsons built; everything else in sealed bags.

As stated earlier, offset is reversed which isn't hard to fix except in my case the hull is already built. Also wish they had left the sponsons' tops off so we will see how well the glue joints hold once this gets up to speed. Boat came finished in a clear coat outside with a bare wood interior so proper water-proofing is needed. Lots of filler and sanding needed, too.

Not sure what your instructions show so have attached what came from the factory which show the recommended components.
Last edited by herrmill; Mar 20, 2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:04 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,577 Posts
Thought you folks would like to see what the factory's official comment is regarding the incorrect offset.

Quote:
I asked the technician,the offset at current position in order to conveniently fix the inner accessories.and there's no big effect and difference for countering the torque.they tested and raced on water before.You are suggested to assemble and test first.

Or you can choose to turn upside down all the wood boards,and adjust the servo and motor position a little,now the offset is in the same position as fiberglass one.

How do you think about it?
Considering I'm currently testing these for a new hobby line we'll be selling, I'd think it matters.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:09 AM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,320 Posts
Mine came only with the 1st and 2nd page printed on one sheet. That should be enough for anybody with some experience in wood building. The offset is easily solved by just turning the bottom upside down but it does matter that it should be pointed out, corrected before assembly and before you glue anything to that part or any part that has to do with the bottom Boo
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:22 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,577 Posts
Agreed, the offset is easy to solve as a kit but if you buy one ARTR... well, lets just say there is a bit more involved.