HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:37 PM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,846 Posts
Discussion
DJI F330 Lil Quad

Thought I would do a quick build (pic) thread on the Little F330 Quad.

Its a blast to fly indoors.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:56 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,644 Posts
Very nice Robert. You using the same 920kv DJI motors that ship with the F450 and F550 ARF's? What is the AUW without battery?
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,846 Posts
Have to weigh it.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:03 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,846 Posts
1lb 3oz with Naza and JR921rx

Yes, DJI 920kv motors, 18amp Opto and 8" props.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Jun 2009
397 Posts
i bought this quad, love it any idea what landing gear and gimbal i can use?
skyhulk is offline Find More Posts by skyhulk
Old Jun 16, 2012, 05:02 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,201 Posts
Not much activity on the F330 threads. I've managed to break three arms on mine (two because of me 'stunting' the last because of a bad battery wire solder joint from the factory (I think). Luckily I have a spare frame to steal arms from. I'm down to my last arm from it though. Has anyone seen anyone selling just arms? Robert...can you help out???
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:29 PM
Joined Nov 2008
116 Posts
Brilliant little quad. Though the bit of the arm near the motor seems to be a weak spot I've noticed. Flying MultiWii 2.0, 1200kv, 30a esc. 8" props with plenty of power Here's a picture of mine for good measure

giek2000 is offline Find More Posts by giek2000
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Sep 2004
8 Posts
@ giek2000

Hello, YES this is what i want to see !
Is it possible to get another picture without the "glass" at the TOP ??

tnx from germany

Herbert
advera is offline Find More Posts by advera
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:17 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,005 Posts
I've been using one as an FPV quad for a while. Takes some creativity to find a way to get all the necessary gear on it but once setup it's a great little flyer through the goggles...

Ken
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined Nov 2008
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by advera View Post
@ giek2000

Hello, YES this is what i want to see !
Is it possible to get another picture without the "glass" at the TOP ??

tnx from germany

Herbert
Unfortunately this one had a tx lockout and flew off into the sunset. I haven't got any pictures of the quad without it, but maybe this will help.

Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:46 PM
What's a servo?
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2008
447 Posts
Giek you have a sweet setup with your 330. I have been looking for something a little bigger than my 250 sized Y6 FPV to do more aggressive FPV with, and I am thinking a 330 size is the near perfect size.

That is arguably as small as viable if you want to carry a fixed GoPro and FPV kit because the 250 sized frames simply don't have many motor choices that are suitable.
330 seems to be the minimum size to have plenty of climb-out punch due to the multiple motor choices available including motors that allow 4S.

This then makes for relatively small and wildly powerful and nimble FPV machine, without needing to spend huge dollars on high end motors and batteries that would be required for a larger and heavier frame.

Anyway, for your kit (if you intend on making a new one) what I would do is Dremel away the top 3mm or so of your motor shaft so the propeller adapter can slide all the way down onto the motor bell and tighten onto the motor shaft with zero gap between the bell and the adapter.
This will minimize the chances of the motor shaft bending from collision or a heavy landing.

My question is: Are people finding the DJI 330 frames are as fragile and vibrate as much as the other DJI frames?

Please advise...

Mike.
Sad Sack is offline Find More Posts by Sad Sack
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:23 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob Mike View Post
Giek you have a sweet setup with your 330. I have been looking for something a little bigger than my 250 sized Y6 FPV to do more aggressive FPV with, and I am thinking a 330 size is the near perfect size.

That is arguably as small as viable if you want to carry a fixed GoPro and FPV kit because the 250 sized frames simply don't have many motor choices that are suitable.
330 seems to be the minimum size to have plenty of climb-out punch due to the multiple motor choices available including motors that allow 4S.

This then makes for relatively small and wildly powerful and nimble FPV machine, without needing to spend huge dollars on high end motors and batteries that would be required for a larger and heavier frame.

Anyway, for your kit (if you intend on making a new one) what I would do is Dremel away the top 3mm or so of your motor shaft so the propeller adapter can slide all the way down onto the motor bell and tighten onto the motor shaft with zero gap between the bell and the adapter.
This will minimize the chances of the motor shaft bending from collision or a heavy landing.

My question is: Are people finding the DJI 330 frames are as fragile and vibrate as much as the other DJI frames?

Please advise...

Mike.
Fragile? No. Breakable? Yes. I've broken two or three arms on mine while learning quadrabatics with control rates that were a little to low. I bought spare arms and a spare frame and haven't broken anything since...go figure. As for vibrations...I don't see/hear vibs, but my Multiwii controller seems to. After setting it up with an LPF of ~24 (I think) it's nice and smooth...and very responsive. I did my first double loops and rolls with it this past weekend...no issues and easy as pie. I'm really having a blast with my F330. My OP CC board had no issues with the F330. The Multiwii firmware just feels tighter with the sport flying while the CC board felt a little drifty.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:39 PM
Canada, ON, Ajax
Joined Jul 2011
325 Posts
I also have the DJI f330 with Bumble Bee FC 20 amp ST esc's and the Gaui Scorpian motors. It flys very nice and I really like the size. I run 1500 3s and can get almost 10min. I have broken 2 arms so far on crashes I would not of expected things to break but at $3.00 a pop and very little time to repair that is acceptable.

Dave
Birdman4498 is online now Find More Posts by Birdman4498
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:15 PM
Joined Jun 2010
20 Posts
This is my quad330, which is made by APM2.0

OSD module & 433Mhz data transfer module
monkey1 is offline Find More Posts by monkey1
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:23 AM
Joined Nov 2008
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob Mike View Post

Please advise...

Mike.
Hi Mike. Personally I find 330 size a laugh to fly. Strap on some 1200kv motors and you've built yourself a rocket ship. I did have issues with vibrations with the F330 frame, or rather it was only when I built a quad with aluminium arms I noticed how much better it flew. Also the F330 arms seemed to snap easily near the motor when crashed, something that wasnt as bad with my F450 but still happened. Currently flying a scratch built 330 frame with alu arms. Awesome for acro and steady for quietly flying it around.