HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Do you want to stay in this hobby for years to come, with the idea of getting into bigger size helicopters in the future? Can the Devo 8 be used with bigger helicopters in the future or the Devo 8 is limited to Walkera helicopters only?

If the answer is "yes" and "no," respectively, spend the money now for a good spektrum, Jr. or Futaba tx. I started out with the DX7 and quickly needed more functions than the DX7 is capable of providing. It's now delegated to driving my crawler.

This hobby is expensive ... as with all hobbies.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:18 PM
V120D02S, GCP
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
Thanks!

I'd like to thank everyone for their valuable input. I ended up getting a Genius CP RTF. It came with the Devo 7 which is not ideal but for $150 for the whole thing it was hard to go wrong. I am so glad I didn't go with a larger heli. This was overwhelming enough. I am also able to practice in my backyard. After about a dozen batteries I can hover it tail-in using 6ax mode and fly it while following. I need a larger area to practice tail-out and other angles. Though I was able to fly my coaxial in all directions easily, coordinating the pitch and ailieron on this one to keep it from getting away from me is a challenge. I'm not sure if I'm a typical newbie as far as learning curve goes. I have at the advantage of a background in Aerospace engineering. I have a lot of respect for those pilots out there with great skills.

The Devo 8 would have been better. I have some severe misprogramming in the Devo 7 Txer in 3ax mode where the swash stays left when I throttle up. The Devo's will only control Walkera's AFAIK but I'm a newbie and probably can buy a 100 or 400 size Walkera in the future and be happy. I will likely wear out the GCP before I even learn it's capabilities from the 3D videos I've seen. I'm a long way from doing that.
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:27 PM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
+1 on a good sim first. i didnt even fire up my first heli until i had sim time 10+ years ago.
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:46 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
Better yet, stay away from the MCXP altogether and buy a Genius CP with Devo 8 radio. A million times more reliable and also a better helicopter.

I really would not recommend Spektrum at all. People will disagree (many people start out with Spektrum because it's priced just about low enough for many to be a first-choice), but even with their third revision of their overall system, it's still highly unreliable where other brands are virtually problem-free in a direct comparison. Not to mention range and signal quality that's quite crippled compared to the power of the transmitter.
I agree, but since he was asking about programmable transmitters, he shouldn't really be looking a CP a all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
Do you want to stay in this hobby for years to come, with the idea of getting into bigger size helicopters in the future? Can the Devo 8 be used with bigger helicopters in the future or the Devo 8 is limited to Walkera helicopters only?

If the answer is "yes" and "no," respectively, spend the money now for a good spektrum, Jr. or Futaba tx. I started out with the DX7 and quickly needed more functions than the DX7 is capable of providing. It's now delegated to driving my crawler.

This hobby is expensive ... as with all hobbies.
The Walkera Devo series of transmitters are marketed as standalone transmitters by Walkera. They can be used to control larger helis from other brands as well as planes and gliders. I use the older 2801 pro transmitter to control a 250 and 450 without any problems.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw