SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Dec 2011
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
Yes, I've flown with both now. Also flew the Genius CP too which already is a better choice than the MCPX v2. It's more stable and the flybarless electronics seem to work better.

The advantage of brushless is efficiency and power, but the difference isn't that big really. The reason Walkera is using brushed motors again is purely to keep production costs down. I'm sure they will release brushless versions at some point in time though, Walkera usually launches several versions of what is basically the same helicopter.

As for Eflite, I'm really not a huge fan of their helicopter series at all. Too expensive for what you get (especially the bind n fly stuff), overrated for what it is and even with a relatively good support and parts availability there are better choices available.

I think you probably can use PayPal and buy through Ehirobo (Hong Kong based though). What exactly is your limitation when it comes to ordering? Perhaps you can email them if you want to arrange for a different method of payment, they're good people.
they said they can only accept T/T payment method and they can only ship directly form china... the problem with that for me is if i get from another continent i have to pay an extra fee for it and wait 1 month or more for it to arrive or maybe not arriving at all or so i have heard.
Legendary_Agent is offline Find More Posts by Legendary_Agent
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2012, 02:36 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary_Agent View Post
they said they can only accept T/T payment method and they can only ship directly form china... the problem with that for me is if i get from another continent i have to pay an extra fee for it and wait 1 month or more for it to arrive or maybe not arriving at all or so i have heard.
They are right when it comes to import tax fees, but that's usually not that much and you might not have to pay. It's not guaranteed that you do not have to pay tax either though, but it's a good idea to expect a small fee.

Their prices will usually be (much) lower before that tax though, so it's not like it will cost you money.

As for not arriving packages as being a common thing, that's nonsense. Usually the scare tactics of local hobby stores unable to compete with Hong Kong. It's incredibly rare for a package to get lost entirely.

Those packages will arrive, at least from the Hong Kong stores I've used so far. Hobbyking, ehirobo, helipal, rc711 just to name a few.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Feb 07, 2012, 05:35 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
You will not find any Walkera product in any hobby shop. If you want one, you will have to mail order it. Walkera releases, changes and then abandons heli models within months so there is no incentive or practical way for any brick and mortar heli shop to carry their products and spares. They will be outdated before they can even unload them.
E flight products are price controlled and that is why you see them in most shops. Everyone sells them for pretty much the same price dictated by Horizon. Walkera has no organized structure at all and will sell anything to anyone with cash and could care less if one vendor gets screwed by them giving another a better deal.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined Dec 2011
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
You will not find any Walkera product in any hobby shop. If you want one, you will have to mail order it. Walkera releases, changes and then abandons heli models within months so there is no incentive or practical way for any brick and mortar heli shop to carry their products and spares. They will be outdated before they can even unload them.
E flight products are price controlled and that is why you see them in most shops. Everyone sells them for pretty much the same price dictated by Horizon. Walkera has no organized structure at all and will sell anything to anyone with cash and could care less if one vendor gets screwed by them giving another a better deal.
Greetings can anyone else confirm this? i find it very weird :\
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:34 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,325 Posts
Quote:
Greetings can anyone else confirm this? i find it very weird :\
It really depends on where you are. I am in Hong Kong and the situation is the other way round with regards to Eflight vs Walkera. The only Eflght heli sold here is the MCPx because the others are not competitive against Walkera and Nine Eagles. Moreover, there is no warranty or support from Horizon Hobbies. Having said, no vendor here carries a complete line of Walkera helis. It is usually 100-120 sized CPs, and 100-200 sized FPs. I always get my Walkera helis and parts from a local shop and the parts are almost always available. What Xrayted posted about Walkera is generally true; they are very difficult for vendors to deal with.

The Minimum Advertised Price policy of Eflght is well known. However, it only works well when the product has little or no competition. When there is severe competition, the sales of the vendors will go down with the supplier. I don't know what is the situation in Portugal. I know a lot of vendors in Europe dropped Walkera earlier this year after of a series of price rises. Local parts availability and support is quite a bonus for beginners. I don't know what your experience is, but I suggested the Mini CP because you posted in the 3D forum.

I own both the MCPx and Genius CP. It is very difficult for a beginner to learn 3D with both as the motor easily gets bogged down when inverted. There is an extra problem with the MCPx where the tail may blow out. Therefore, both really need to be converted into brushless to make it easier to fly 3D. With the MCPx, you will also want a programmable transmitter of at least DX6i or above. On the other hand, the stock MIni CP can fly 3D confidently in its stock form, and is reported to be equivalent to a brushed MCPx. However if you are beginner, then a MCPx or Genius CP may be a better choice for you.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Feb 08, 2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Dec 2011
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
It really depends on where you are. I am in Hong Kong and the situation is the other way round with regards to Eflight vs Walkera. The only Eflght heli sold here is the MCPx because the others are not competitive against Walkera and Nine Eagles. Moreover, there is no warranty or support from Horizon Hobbies. Having said, no vendor here carries a complete line of Walkera helis. It is usually 100-120 sized CPs, and 100-200 sized FPs. I always get my Walkera helis and parts from a local shop and the parts are almost always available. What Xrayted posted about Walkera is generally true; they are very difficult for vendors to deal with.

The Minimum Advertised Price policy of Eflght is well known. However, it only works well when the product has little or no competition. When there is severe competition, the sales of the vendors will go down with the supplier. I don't know what is the situation in Portugal. I know a lot of vendors in Europe dropped Walkera earlier this year after of a series of price rises. Local parts availability and support is quite a bonus for beginners. I don't know what your experience is, but I suggested the Mini CP because you posted in the 3D forum.

I own both the MCPx and Genius CP. It is very difficult for a beginner to learn 3D with both as the motor easily gets bogged down when inverted. There is an extra problem with the MCPx where the tail may blow out. Therefore, both really need to be converted into brushless to make it easier to fly 3D. With the MCPx, you will also want a programmable transmitter of at least DX6i or above. On the other hand, the stock MIni CP can fly 3D confidently in its stock form, and is reported to be equivalent to a brushed MCPx. However if you are beginner, then a MCPx or Genius CP may be a better choice for you.
Thank you very much for your reply, well the only support i have in portugal is mcpxv2 when it comes to mini size, walkera is really really hard to find and as for the mini cp i couldnt find any at all, it semms i must stick with mcpxv2 right? considering its brushed, how much do you think it will last per motor in terms of hours of usage? Best Regards!
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:45 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,325 Posts
Quote:
Thank you very much for your reply, well the only support i have in portugal is mcpxv2 when it comes to mini size, walkera is really really hard to find and as for the mini cp i couldnt find any at all, it semms i must stick with mcpxv2 right? considering its brushed, how much do you think it will last per motor in terms of hours of usage? Best Regards!
The brushed motors used today are better than those a few years ago. I am not sure about the average lifespan but I have replaced one in over 100 flights. If you are going to buy the MCPx, you might as well get a DX6i or DX7 transmitter at the same time. The stock DX4e transmitter is very poor quality and is non programmable. It is bad for both beginners and advanced pilots alike. You don't have to convert to brushless straightaway. The MCPx V2 has a more powerful motor and batteries than the V1
Old Feb 09, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined Dec 2011
281 Posts
Quote:
The brushed motors used today are better than those a few years ago. I am not sure about the average lifespan but I have replaced one in over 100 flights. If you are going to buy the MCPx, you might as well get a DX6i or DX7 transmitter at the same time. The stock DX4e transmitter is very poor quality and is non programmable. It is bad for both beginners and advanced pilots alike. You don't have to convert to brushless straightaway. The MCPx V2 has a more powerful motor and batteries than the V1
Hello, what are the benefits of a "programmable" transmitter? i tought the stock was just fine for that heli :S

EDIT: the only advantage of a programmable transmitter is the ability to set up the sensitivity?
Last edited by Legendary_Agent; Feb 09, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:37 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,325 Posts
With a programmable transmitter, you can alter the heli's flight characteristics to your liking e.g. tamer settings for a beginner or more aggressive settings for advanced fliers. The DX4e has settings built in that cannot be changed. In fact, they are quite aggressive for beginners and for flying indoors. Not only that, it is very poor quality as well and there have been lots complaints about it. In any case, you will definitely need a programmable transmitter as you get to fly larger helis.

I suppose it is very low cost and you could have a try if you want. But if you get into trouble, then it would be a good idea to get a DX6i. Having a programmable transmitter is much more important than going brushless.
Last edited by zadaw; Feb 12, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:23 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I have both the MCPx and Genius. The MCPx is a little more durable, but they both take lots of abuse without breaking. The MCPx motor lasts longer. The Genius has better performance, if you are a serious 3D pilot. The Genius has a "6 axis" setting that makes it very tame and stable, for the type of heli it is. Really, it gets down to personal preference. But, a programmable transmitter is a good idea for the MCPx. Please keep in mind, these are still micro sized CP helis, regardless of the electronics. They are still very quick responding, fast and squirrelly compared to other helis.

You haven't stated exactly what your experience is, so it's a little hard to make general recommendations. We see a lot of people who think they are very skilled with indoor helis, because they can fly a 3 channel coax. That's like saying "I'm ready to fly a jet because I can throw paper airplane".
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:43 AM
V120D02S, GCP
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
Wow Thanks

I've been eying the mcpx but was confounded by the pricing. The price doubles to get a dx6 with it.

I want to step up from a cheap coax I've been chasing the cat around with. I fly it outside but a light breeze sends it into a hedge or over the roof. Forward flight is a temporary gift. I can reliably land and hover it in front of my nose. Not sure what cp will bring but I don't want another flybar type setup.

The Walkera seems better priced and reviewed with a programmable Tx'er that can step up to a bigger BNF later. Thanks from a neewbie for this thread!
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Better yet, stay away from the MCXP altogether and buy a Genius CP with Devo 8 radio. A million times more reliable and also a better helicopter.

I really would not recommend Spektrum at all. People will disagree (many people start out with Spektrum because it's priced just about low enough for many to be a first-choice), but even with their third revision of their overall system, it's still highly unreliable where other brands are virtually problem-free in a direct comparison. Not to mention range and signal quality that's quite crippled compared to the power of the transmitter.
Last edited by PHMX; Feb 13, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Please keep in mind, these are still micro sized CP helis, regardless of the electronics. They are still very quick responding, fast and squirrelly compared to other helis.
Very true! Don't buy the MCPX as a 'beginner' helicopter, because that won't usually work out very well.

The Genius CP has the 6-axis mode that beginners can use to practice flying with. From what beginners have told me, this works pretty acceptable but still requires some skill.

Contrary to what many beginners seem to think, these are still CP helicopters and usually not the best choice for absolute beginners.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:15 AM
They were made by Schluter
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2012
33 Posts
It sounds as though maybe you have flown only a toy grade coax so before spending any real money on a CP consider a hobby grade single rotor 4ch FP like a 9958 which is a super inexpensive, fun, and durable learning tool. If you are like most you will wish you ordered more than one. It will be some of the best $40 you spend on this hobby and your cat will thank me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsDennert View Post
I want to step up from a cheap coax I've been chasing the cat around with. I fly it outside but a light breeze sends it into a hedge or over the roof. Forward flight is a temporary gift. I can reliably land and hover it in front of my nose.
..!
HeliStar is offline Find More Posts by HeliStar
Last edited by HeliStar; Feb 19, 2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:48 AM
Florida
Joined Jul 2010
796 Posts
The biggest problem here is that you have never flown a heli before.
What that means is that it really doesn't matter which one you buy.It will be crashed within 10 seconds.
Sorry if that sounds harsh,but that's a fact.
It doesn't matter how much you save on one heli versus another,or how aerobatic they are.Because you won't be able to fly it anyway.
In your other thread everyone was pretty much begging you to buy a simulator first,and the reason for that is that it will save you THOUSANDS of dollars.
I'm not trying to be a d%*k-I'm trying to help you,just as everyone else is.
I know your arguement is "why spend X amount on a sim when I could be flying a real heli for that much money?",but the truth is that you wouldn't be.You'd be buying parts and waiting on the mail so you could repair,and then do it again.But,if you bought a simulator,you'd still be flying,and pretty soon,you'd be ready to be actually flying,instead of waiting for parts in the mail.
Good luck.
destinbeachman is offline Find More Posts by destinbeachman