HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:56 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalpain View Post
Can someone please recommend me a good weller soldering station (and solder and flux). Amazon is having a "sale" on soldering equipment for anyone interested. Thanks.
Weller WES-51 or the digital version WESD-51 are about as good as you can get. Kester 44 solder 63/37 (lead/tin ratio.) Any liquid flux.
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:06 AM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle34 View Post
Weller WES-51 or the digital version WESD-51 are about as good as you can get. Kester 44 solder 63/37 (lead/tin ratio.) Any liquid flux.
thank you sir.
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:18 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,647 Posts
thanks for the heads up. time to upgrade my soldering tools.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:20 AM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalpain View Post
Can someone please recommend me a good weller soldering station (and solder and flux). Amazon is having a "sale" on soldering equipment for anyone interested. Thanks.
Thanks for the head's up!

Agreed on the WES-51. A friend has one and I used it to do some Deans onto 10 AWG wire and it was cake. I had been struggling with a non-controlled 40 watt iron before that and the WES-51 made it insanely easy. Highly recommended.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:38 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,157 Posts
I don't get the sale... Amazon has that WES-51 for 87 bucks. Doing a search on google shopping and comparing prices it's pretty easy to find at that price from lots of places. Is there a coupon code or something that makes it cheaper?
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:53 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
I don't get the sale... Amazon has that WES-51 for 87 bucks. Doing a search on google shopping and comparing prices it's pretty easy to find at that price from lots of places. Is there a coupon code or something that makes it cheaper?
I was wondering about that too...seems to me I've seen it at a lower price, like in the $50-$60 range, based on previous conversations on this(?) thread.
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:56 AM
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Ryan you are right, not a real sale. I get these daily email based on stuff I've browsed. Amazon says there is a sale in that department; its just their everyday discount off msrp.

I do get 3% back using the amazon visa card. Its a good card, in addition to the 3% they just had 20% off lawn and garden (rotating departments every month). Also make sure you have prime (you can get a free subscription worth $70 with a .edu account). Free shipping plus free movies. Also select no rush delivery (when given the option) to get a free mp3 download.

Check out camelcamelcamel, it tracks amazon prices. LINK This is only $5 over their lowest price.

Edit: looks like the digital has dropped to $99 once or twice, now that would be a slickdeal.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:02 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
Yes $85 to $90 is about the going price. The digital goes for around $125. The ones we have at work are the digital version. Only difference is the digital has a display that gives you the temp reading of what the iron is set to (useful in some precise soldering situations.)
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:04 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,575 Posts
i mainly use powerpoles. But when i do have to solder bullets, i use a hobbico 60W iron. They are cheap. You can get replacement tips for 4 dollars on amazon. And it cranks out a crap load of heat. You can easily melt the plastic housing on a deans if you're not careful.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
i mainly use powerpoles. But when i do have to solder bullets, i use a hobbico 60W iron. They are cheap. You can get replacement tips for 4 dollars on amazon. And it cranks out a crap load of heat. You can easily melt the plastic housing on a deans if you're not careful.
This is what I currently use as well. They are okay but it feels disposable. I am looking for something a little nicer and I hear these wellers will last many many years with proper care.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:19 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Joined May 2010
2,575 Posts
yes, it definitely feels like a 15 dollar iron. Before i moved to PPs, I was thinking of getting an 80-100 dollar iron to replace the hobbico. But since I only solder bullets any more and only use the iron for covering trimming, i decided to just stick with the cheap one until it craps out
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:33 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,411 Posts
I use a cheap $30 240watt radio shack soldering Gun. It has no issues solding 8awg wire I have had mine for about 5 years now and its still gettin it! I also have a 40watt radio shack iorn for the smaller soldering needs (can you tell that I lived next to a radio shack )
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:21 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,046 Posts
i just hold it over my head and use a bic lighter
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:34 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Joined May 2010
2,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
Brilliant!
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:34 AM
Old Dog learning new tricks~~
United States, PA, East Stroudsburg
Joined Jan 2011
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
I thought you just twisted them together and taped them up and your ready to go
bradhoke08 is offline Find More Posts by bradhoke08
Last edited by bradhoke08; Jun 21, 2012 at 11:56 AM.