HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:53 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post

The new dle-60 TWIN!. For the people like me who probably can't afford the da-70 twin.
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items...WINENGINE.html

And it is king 50 legal!

If I ever get a 50cc, this will be the engine I will put in it.
I love my DA-60 but this could be fun.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:54 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
Too bad, I was hoping to drive up and fly it.
Fixed it for ya.
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:58 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
Fixed it for ya.
Indeed
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:04 PM
United States, MI, Lambertville
Joined Feb 2011
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAerobat View Post
Trying to settle a question on another thread. When the plane pulls to the landing gear in KE flight it is nose heavy correct? This gentleman is saying it would be tail heavy.
It would be tail heavy if it's pulling towards the gear.

Woops a little late, Joe explained it better.
Balsa Breaker is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Breaker
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:13 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
That's why I like these threads. I learn something new everyday. Some things I learn are not related to rc flight but still.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:16 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
4,507 Posts
Just had a full double rainbow out front of my house. I don't have enough gas money to go find the pot of gold
3Dplank is offline Find More Posts by 3Dplank
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:19 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
Most 3dhs planes are designed to have little to no KE coupling at a certain CG. You can adjust CG to get perfect KE and this will also be the prefered CG that the designer chooses. Some really poorly designed airframes will have KE coupling regardless of the CG.

If the plane is tucking towards the gear, it is tail heavy.
If the plane is tucking towards the canopy, it is nose heavy.

This all has to do with elev. trim. For example, a tail heavy plane will want to climb, so you trim in a few clicks of down elevator. Then when you roll to KE, the down trim in the elevator causes the plane to tuck towards the landing gear.

Always try to fix KE coupling with CG. If it gets to the point where CG isn't going to fix the coupling, or if you don't like the way the plane flys at the "preferred" CG then just find the CG you like and use the radio to mix out the coupling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
If the plane is nose heavy and you trim it for level flight you will need to trim in up elevator to keep the nose from dropping. Now when you roll inverted you have the weight of the nose pulling it down and also up elevator pulling it down so it dives while inverted.

Roll knife edge, you are counteracting the heavy nose with rudder so that goes away but the plane is still trimmed with up elevator so it will pull to the canopy.

This is of course ignoring anything in the design or build that might have an effect.
I stand (or in this case sit) corrected!! Thank you.

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:24 PM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
Most 3dhs planes are designed to have little to no KE coupling at a certain CG. You can adjust CG to get perfect KE and this will also be the prefered CG that the designer chooses. Some really poorly designed airframes will have KE coupling regardless of the CG.

If the plane is tucking towards the gear, it is tail heavy.
If the plane is tucking towards the canopy, it is nose heavy.

This all has to do with elev. trim. For example, a tail heavy plane will want to climb, so you trim in a few clicks of down elevator. Then when you roll to KE, the down trim in the elevator causes the plane to tuck towards the landing gear.

Always try to fix KE coupling with CG. If it gets to the point where CG isn't going to fix the coupling, or if you don't like the way the plane flys at the "preferred" CG then just find the CG you like and use the radio to mix out the coupling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
If the plane is nose heavy and you trim it for level flight you will need to trim in up elevator to keep the nose from dropping. Now when you roll inverted you have the weight of the nose pulling it down and also up elevator pulling it down so it dives while inverted.

Roll knife edge, you are counteracting the heavy nose with rudder so that goes away but the plane is still trimmed with up elevator so it will pull to the canopy.

This is of course ignoring anything in the design or build that might have an effect.
Thanks a lot for the help guys. I had it backwards as well. I thought To the landing gear was nose heavy. Joe your explanation clears it up thank you.
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:56 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity2424 View Post
You finally get that 57 extra yet?
Yes sir. Got it built tonight, but I have to get some ball links. I have no bolts that fit through the ones I have, and I'm not using the supplied setscrew links. Those things scare me for some reason.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:22 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Third flight of the evening. Even flew my questionable #1 pack first, but cut the timer down to 3 min. Did fine.

This was right at sunset, but chose to fly with my back to it this time.

Some lazy flyin cause I just wanted to get out and relax with the 71. Tomorrow is 2nd Surgery day for my dad. Just want to get it over with.... Up at 5 AM and have to be there by 8 AM, takes an hour to get there... Of course my new/used mCP X is coming in tomorrow. I could have had a serious time passing diversion if I had that in time.

3DHS 71 Slick Sunset Flight (4 min 39 sec)
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:38 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
I heard it was designed specifically to fit in that cowl
but about da 70, i heard its like 1-2mm too wide lol... (not that im going to get any of them...30cc is bigest for me until i move or get a car lol)
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:13 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Man I wish!! I love those kinds of summer temps.....but I don't like the cold weather that usually goes with it during the winter.... I wish I could find someplace where it was 68 to 72 degrees year round with 5-10MPH breezes....that would be heaven to me

SteveT
Funny that is my buddy's plan when he retires ... chase 70 degrees, sounds like a good idea.

I know of one place that is like that year round. Houses dont have heaters or AC's. Baugio City, Phillipines ---> Camp John Hay, summer residence of the US Ambassador to the Phillipines. They also have a Jack Nicklaus designed golf course. (I know that's your favorite sport )

Weather here on the ship has been 40 degrees, water temp 42 degrees. Too durn cold for me.
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:48 AM
I AM Smiling
Joined Dec 2007
372 Posts
I wish I could find someplace where it was 68 to 72 degrees year round with 5-10MPH breezes....that would be heaven to me

SteveT[/QUOTE]

San Diego

Roatan What is the weather like?

The climate is warm, usually in the '80s. The dress for the entire island is very casual. Comfortable cool clothing, shorts, and lightweight pants are recommended. Even in the evening at better restaurants, the dress remains casual. There are mosquitoes and sand flies, but, if you use repellant, you should not be bothered. Hurricanes are few and far between, and Honduras is generally not in the path of large storms. Roatan enjoys tradewinds the majority of the year, which make the climate even more comfortable.
DeadStick Dave is offline Find More Posts by DeadStick Dave
Last edited by DeadStick Dave; Jun 21, 2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:46 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Hey Dave how you been. I was just commenting in another thread about the 55 SHP. Love it although I don't fly it often. It is a classic after all.
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:45 AM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Can someone please recommend me a good weller soldering station (and solder and flux). Amazon is having a "sale" on soldering equipment for anyone interested. Thanks.
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain