HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2012, 05:10 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
yea thats why i am not gonna crash i havent really "crashed" my 42" since the week after i got it that one crash alot of peices of wood just cracked, and i beleive the wind helped me crash, lol, no it was mostly because i still wasent good at a hover but i am much better than i was the week after i got my 42"
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 05:15 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
The 8fg has much more programming options than the dx8 ( yes have programmed both) I also do not fully trust spektrums signal anymore ( me and way to many others have had way to many issues)

Hone1er posted the same equipment I used in my 51 slick. I used the lite version of the castle esc. I couldn't ask for a better setup.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old May 13, 2012, 05:16 PM
Master of the figure 9
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2004
2,657 Posts
Viking Funeral!!!!

TheRealMonson's 42" A.J.Slick was finally put out of it's misery. After many repairs and a replacement kit on the work bench, David has been flying the little Slick a lot harder then normal. His attitude was; who cares, fly it like you stole it. The Slick contacted the ground doing a low rolling harrier and cracked the side of the fuse. After his evaluation, David decided it was time for a Viking Funeral. He installed a new batteries and put her back in the air. He took off, climb for the stars and went into a knife edge spin. The canopy came off but the air frame stayed in tact. Disappointed, David tried several full throttle blenders. Again, the air frame held! So he went for a knife edge into the ground. I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

David
Old Man is online now Find More Posts by Old Man
Old May 13, 2012, 05:18 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
Crashing happens to even the best pilots. Though with that said the bigger ones are easier to fly and normally crash less often
Old May 13, 2012, 05:19 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
TheRealMonson's 42" A.J.Slick was finally put out of it's misery. After many repairs and a replacement kit on the work bench, David has been flying the little Slick a lot harder then normal. His attitude was; who cares, fly it like you stole it. The Slick contacted the ground doing a low rolling harrier and cracked the side of the fuse. After his evaluation, David decided it was time for a Viking Funeral. He installed a new batteries and put her back in the air. He took off, climb for the stars and went into a knife edge spin. The canopy came off but the air frame stayed in tact. Disappointed, David tried several full throttle blenders. Again, the air frame held! So he went for a knife edge into the ground. I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

David
Ouch
Old May 13, 2012, 05:23 PM
Master of the figure 9
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2004
2,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Ouch
I think his smile tells the story. He has been trying to break that plane for several weeks. Tomorrow, He will be starting on his Orange 42" which matches his 71".
Old Man is online now Find More Posts by Old Man
Old May 13, 2012, 05:28 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,248 Posts
anybody have a good crash course on what i need to know for building a gas plane and what goes into the power system? I know electric and nothing about Gas stuff. Looking at doing a 30cc or 50cc plane at this time.
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old May 13, 2012, 06:12 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
9,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
anybody have a good crash course on what i need to know for building a gas plane and what goes into the power system? I know electric and nothing about Gas stuff. Looking at doing a 30cc or 50cc plane at this time.
just go 50cc....it wont be much more expensive...get the 87...dle55 is plenty big....put GOOD servos in it
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old May 13, 2012, 06:17 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
+1. I'm looking at a 74" Edge after a 51" Slick
Park_aviator is online now Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old May 13, 2012, 06:17 PM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
just go 50cc....it wont be much more expensive...get the 87...dle55 is plenty big....put GOOD servos in it and keep it out of the trees
Fixed it for ya
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Old May 13, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Mar 2011
4,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
just go 50cc....it wont be much more expensive...get the 87...dle55 is plenty big....put GOOD servos in it
well i was looking at another 50cc airframe due to free shipping but still rely on these threads for information as i havent been steered wrong yet. The fun part is all in how i am going to work on getting the plane to the field
Old May 13, 2012, 06:25 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
2,928 Posts
Skarface, you could always go with a hobbywing platinum esc. They are known to be good. This one is on sale right now so it is cheaper than normal.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-platinum-80a.html
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 72" Extra flight
Old May 13, 2012, 06:28 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Crashing happens to even the best pilots. Though with that said the bigger ones are easier to fly and normally crash less often
I like that normally crash less
3Dplank is online now Find More Posts by 3Dplank
Old May 13, 2012, 06:29 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,637 Posts
Quote:
You've got some nerve, sitting at Joe Nall and thinking about Gas!
heritageflyer is online now Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old May 13, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Mar 2011
4,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
You've got some nerve, sitting at Joe Nall and thinking about Gas!
Yeah i did get to fly my electric plane but damn those gassers are sexy. Unfortunately i didnt have the time off so i am home now, would have been nice to meet the 3dhs crew.