Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 06, 2012, 09:54 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
With the recommended throws the SHP does rolling harriers nice and slow.
On high or low rates?
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2012, 09:56 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
well your also joe smith and know how to do 500 more moves than i do, (i am still on the learning side) is the edge still good for learning rolling harries? my 42 seems to spin to fast at times and and have trouble keeping it in rolling harrier mode it usally turns into a roller. but then again your joe smith so i may just go with the edge

ok i think next time i go to extreme rc hobbies in quarryville i am picking up one of the 48 edges
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old May 06, 2012, 09:57 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,197 Posts
High rates. It's only about 30 degrees of throw on the ailerons. But this is of course compared to the 41'' edge.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old May 06, 2012, 10:00 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
well your also joe smith and know how to do 500 more moves than i do, is the edge still good for learning rolling harries? my 42 seems to spin to fast at times and and have trouble keeping it in rolling harrier mode it usally turns into a roller. but then again your joe smith so i may just go with the edge
If you have a hard time keeping up all you have to do is turn down your rates on the ailerons a bit. Try 3 or 4% at a time till it gets more comfortable for you then you can gradually speed it up as you gain confidence.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old May 06, 2012, 10:07 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
Stoned doggie there are several ways to make that 42 slick roll a little slower.
1) reduce aileron throw (my least favorite option)
2) bigger swings in throttle
3) Bigger inputs with the tail. <---- my favorite option. It gets the nose way up and slows the plane way down. When the airspeed slows the roll rate slows naturally.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old May 06, 2012, 10:08 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
If you have a hard time keeping up all you have to do is turn down your rates on the ailerons a bit. Try 3 or 4% at a time till it gets more comfortable for you then you can gradually speed it up as you gain confidence.
yea which means no hover and torqe rolls only lol its hard to keep a hover sometimes seems to always want to spin so hard, but i will try that and think i am gonna go with the edge (because joe said so!), also inveted harriers idk bought real life but the the it seems as if when i use rudder it just tips the plane alot more than if i were in upright harrier using rudder, do you use ail more than rudder in inverted harriers?

see plank there is a such thing as inveted harries(o and i had to google inverted harrieslol) and it happens to be turnerm
3D Beast - Inverted Harries, Hover, and a one wheel touch-n-go (7 min 9 sec)
Last edited by skarface; May 06, 2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old May 06, 2012, 10:12 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,948 Posts
Dave makes a good point there about using a little heavier inputs on the tail and adjusting how you use the throttle.

As far as inverted harrier I am no expert but I am starting to do some nice low passes which is a pretty big milestone. The rudder should always be your main source of steering but you may find yourself using more aileron to correct when inverted. You just have to get the feel of it. In general inverted harrier is a lot more stable than upright just don't over-do it on the rudder inputs and you should be fine.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old May 06, 2012, 10:13 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer View Post
Stoned doggie there are several ways to make that 42 slick roll a little slower.
1) reduce aileron throw (my least favorite option)
2) bigger swings in throttle
3) Bigger inputs with the tail. <---- my favorite option. It gets the nose way up and slows the plane way down. When the airspeed slows the roll rate slows naturally.
well bigger inputs on the tail makes a rolling flip lol, but then i guess i need to lower throttle and add more throttle when i input rudder and lower agian, idk i will see what i can do tomarrow, if i can fly tomarrow think mom has some yard work for me
Old May 06, 2012, 10:15 PM
Team 3DHS
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,413 Posts
Quote:
well your also joe smith and know how to do 500 more moves than i do, (i am still on the learning side) is the edge still good for learning rolling harries? my 42 seems to spin to fast at times and and have trouble keeping it in rolling harrier mode it usally turns into a roller. but then again your joe smith so i may just go with the edge

ok i think next time i go to extreme rc hobbies in quarryville i am picking up one of the 48 edges

I personally feel the edge sits in rollers easier which makes it a better trainer for them.

For the 42, just back down your aileron throw, I had to do that to learn rollers.
joesmith285 is offline Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2012, 10:17 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
I personally feel the edge sits in rollers easier which makes it a better trainer for them.

For the 42, just back down your aileron throw, I had to do that to learn rollers.
cool, edge it is then, and i will try the more rudder input with little more swing on the throttle and if thats still doesent do it for then i will turn the rates down some.

is the 48 edge rudder pull/pull?
Old May 06, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
Quote:
yea which means no hover and torqe rolls only lol its hard to keep a hover sometimes seems to always want to spin so hard, but i will try that and think i am gonna go with the edge (because joe said so!), also inveted harriers idk bought real life but the the it seems as if when i use rudder it just tips the plane alot more than if i were in upright harrier using rudder, do you use ail more than rudder in inverted harriers?

u can reduce ur ailerons on a switch so u can flip the switch for learning rollers and then flip it back for counteracting torque roll
Old May 06, 2012, 10:18 PM
Team 3DHS
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,413 Posts
Quote:
cool, edge it is then, and i will try the more rudder input with little more swing on the throttle and if thats still doesent do it for then i will turn the rates down some.

is the 48 edge rudder pull/pull?
You should be able to peg the aileron in level flight and still keep up. If it's too fast for that then learning rollers will be crazy hard.
joesmith285 is offline Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
I agree with joe on the edge being easier to roll. I only have experience with the 48 edge but it was WAY easier than with the little slick at first.
Old May 06, 2012, 10:20 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
You should be able to peg the aileron in level flight and still keep up. If it's too fast for that then learning rollers will be crazy hard.
what do you mean by peg the aileron?
Old May 06, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
push it all the way in one direction.