HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:52 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned doggie View Post
just went for a hover catch on my 42" and i turned off the throttle alittle to early, i went for the grab and i went no throttle and it started dropping to early and the tail slipped from my hands and at the same time i droped my radio.

the rudder hit the ground and then MG hit then it was on a sliht hill so it flipped over upside down. So i pick my radio up quick because i was worried the throttle got pushed up and it was so i moved it down but the tx switch was on off.

So i pick up my plane, laugh and walk back to house. (I think the laugh was Holy s**t im lucky)
A great reason not to hover catch.
wamsy55 is offline Find More Posts by wamsy55
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:14 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
yea but i know i will try it again and i know safty hawk will keep coming in my mind, i swear dude every single time i get close enough and thinking about the hover catch i think of the image he had...
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:18 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
4,508 Posts
Quote:
yea but i know i will try it again and i know safty hawk will keep coming in my mind, i swear dude every single time i get close enough and thinking about the hover catch i think of the image he had...
Change your name to multiple scarface
3Dplank is online now Find More Posts by 3Dplank
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:51 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
haha i will only do that if i do get hit so when you see my name as multiple scarface you know what happen
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:46 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugocraft View Post
Random question:

Trying to fix a really old garage door which works great but the pulley/sprocket at the other end is gone and the chain would just make a 180 turn around a 5/8" diameter bolt. Well that bolt is 90% cut through now and that’s when I realized what was happening. Where I'm living used to be a rental house so someone rigged this up to get the garage door to work.

But I need a pulley like a belt guide or a sprocket like off a bicycle that is <1" diameter but can mount to a 5/8" hole that has a valley to fit a chain that is 3/8" wide.
I could temporally put in a new bolt but it will eventually cut it and it can't be good for the motor. Or another temporary thing would be put some washers on a new bolt to let them spin on the bolt but they might cut the bolt too.

Looking on advice on what to rig up or where I can order something to fix it for a decent price.
If you strike out on the idler pulley....possibly just a bearing would work OK in your situation...but the Idler pulley would be perfect.

Honestly...looks like a challenge Cmala's machine shop would like a crack at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamsy55 View Post
A great reason not to hover catch.
No...read again...no catch to it...this time any way....
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:37 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
would you guys suggest me getting a castle 50 esc instead of the hacker x-40 so i can mkae my servo's 6V, what would they be now with the x-40, or can i somehow program my x-40 and make the servo's 6V.

Or is it not worth it becuz its not much of a difference?????
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:40 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,179 Posts
Quote:
would you guys suggest me getting a castle 50 esc instead of the hacker x-40 so i can mkae my servo's 6V, what would they be now with the x-40, or can i somehow program my x-40 and make the servo's 6V.

the output voltage isnt the only advantage of the ice lite 50 over the x40
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:59 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,466 Posts
More program ability, more voltage to the servos, smoother starting of the motor. Just to piont out a few of the pluses of the castle.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:00 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,356 Posts
Quote:

hacker *should* be 5.5v output and no you cant program it different. Castle has more bells and whistles but at a cost. If your really interested in 6v output i would invest in a BEC
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:10 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,139 Posts
no comment lol (biting my tongue)
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:14 PM
Team JetiUSA
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Nov 2008
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
Actually, it will hold the 45 degree downline for plenty long enough to check balance. Momentum and gravity are offset by lift and it holds the line...

Now what bigster just said confuses me a little. I would think that if it tucked it would be nose heavy, and if it it tried to pull up from the 45, it would be tail heavy.

It's simple, if it's tail heavy and you trim it out for a level cruise you'll have dialed in down elevator to push the heavy tail up. When you put it in the 45 downline as you gain airspeed over the tail it will tuck to the gear. Similarly, if it's nose heavy and you trim it out, you'll have dialed in up elevator to hold the heavy nose up. When you put it into a 45 degree downline with power off, as it gains airspeed it will pull to the canopy.

Peter+
pvogel is offline Find More Posts by pvogel
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:37 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,496 Posts
3DHS airframes are so well designed that I've started using knife edge coupling to set the CG (as per AJ's All Things Slick DVD if I remember correctly). Just trim for level flight at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Roll to KE and check if it pulls to the gear or the canopy. Pulling to the gear is tail heavy and pulling to the canopy is nose heavy. Adjust CG to get the least KE coupling, and you'll have an amazing flying airplane. They will usually have slight push on the elevator when inverted, and will excell at both precision and 3D.
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:53 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P. View Post
3DHS airframes are so well designed that I've started using knife edge coupling to set the CG (as per AJ's All Things Slick DVD if I remember correctly). Just trim for level flight at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Roll to KE and check if it pulls to the gear or the canopy. Pulling to the gear is tail heavy and pulling to the canopy is nose heavy. Adjust CG to get the least KE coupling, and you'll have an amazing flying airplane. They will usually have slight push on the elevator when inverted, and will excell at both precision and 3D.
That is a great tip! I'll have to try that on my 70" slick. The maiden is still probly 3 weeks away but the plane is almost done. I'm waiting on my buddy making the 4 hour drive for it and that is when we have it slated.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:16 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
just went for a hover catch on my 42" and i turned off the throttle alittle to early, i went for the grab and i went no throttle and it started dropping to early and the tail slipped from my hands and at the same time i droped my radio.

the rudder hit the ground and then MG hit then it was on a sliht hill so it flipped over upside down. So i pick my radio up quick because i was worried the throttle got pushed up and it was so i moved it down but the tx switch was on off.

So i pick up my plane, laugh and walk back to house. (I think the laugh was Holy s**t im lucky)
mate, get a twisted hobby foamy! :P you are crashing too much! and use foamy for low stuff and slick for hig stuff!
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:17 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
hacker *should* be 5.5v output and no you cant program it different. Castle has more bells and whistles but at a cost. If your really interested in 6v output i would invest in a BEC
i dont know about hacker x40 but x55 had IN THEORY 5.8 output... and when i swapped to ICE for 6v i didnt see a BIG improvement...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts