HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:40 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
The Slicks do run big...always have. I'll be interested to see how they look next to each other once I get the cowl and rudder on the EF. The width at the nose end is just about the same on both of them.

Now I just need to find a 51" V1 "Wonder Bread' to add to the rack
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:55 PM
Don't Midair Me, Bro!
USA, IN, Auburn
Joined Jun 2010
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plank420 View Post
Check it out. This is what happens the instant they break the sound barrier.
It's called a vapor cone, and it doesn't have anything to do with breaking the sound barrier. The cone forms when a plane flies through especially humid air. The plane's pressure envelope increases the air pressure and causes the water vapor to condense. Once the plane passes through the cone, the pressure is released and the condensed water re-vaporizes.
split_s is offline Find More Posts by split_s
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:09 PM
Honeybadger don't care...
United States, FL, Winter Park
Joined May 2010
1,867 Posts
True, but this doesn't occur until the airplane is transonic; that's when the largest pressure transition occurs- capitalizing on what split_s said. Ever seen a picture like that of a commercial airliner or a corporate jet?
Luv3d is online now Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:13 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv3d View Post
True, but this doesn't occur until the airplane is transonic; that's when the largest pressure transition occurs- capitalizing on what split_s said. Ever seen a picture like that of a commercial airliner or a corporate jet?
I don't think commercial or corporate jets move that fast.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:43 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Whew... Took the Crack Yak out just now for a little night huckin' and realized that I was one too many beers in for THAT!! But I did end with a hover catch and she never hit the ground.

Bit I knew enough to stop while I was ahead!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:47 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Whew... Took the Crack Yak out just now for a little night huckin' and realized that I was one too many beers in for THAT!! But I did end with a hover catch and she never hit the ground.

Bit I knew enough to stop while I was ahead!
Yeah, when I get a few beers in and the wind ends up dying down...I've got to talk myself out of grabbing the 33" Extra or the 38' Slick It's gonna be even tougher once I get lights on them in the next week or two. Just ordered a bunch of stuff from Mouser.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:47 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
whats wrong with the.....oh wait....i know whats goin on....you been hangin out with birk too much...hes got you convinced on the electric deal doesnt he?
It was actually my dads idea .. hehe

Not sure if it will happen but it would be fun.
wamsy55 is offline Find More Posts by wamsy55
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:51 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
Yeah, when I get a few beers in and the wind ends up dying down...I've got to talk myself out of grabbing the 33" Extra or the 38' Slick It's gonna be even tougher once I get lights on them in the next week or two. Just ordered a bunch of stuff from Mouser.
Yea... I need to get some lights on there.

The cut on my forehead from last weekend is just healing!! Got a little too close with that hover!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:11 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,900 Posts
57 SC Rocks On!

3DHS 57" EXTRA 330 SC Winds of Spring! (4 min 27 sec)
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:24 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
nice Warren. rollers are coming along. loved the take off to reverse harrier to touch and go .
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:48 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
4,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Nice that's what you were up to today
3Dplank is online now Find More Posts by 3Dplank
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:51 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
I just got the Q80....yes the price is painful. looking forward to getting it set up and getting some video.

for a less spendy option, I would look for a usedhacker A80. I've seen them very recently going for $250-300! bolts right on (don't need a maddog mount, might have to buy some standoffs though). it makes great power and is relatively efficient.

the Q80 is lighter and I believe a bit more powerful and efficient. plus it's new and it looks awesome . is that worth the bread...for you to decide. please correct me if wrong. (I'm sure when SteveTooo wakes up he will jump in here )
Nah...I'm not waking up today....too drugged out..hurt my back during the week, and it has been making my thighs cramp big time, so, ended up in the emergency room last night....Percocet and Flexiril...ever six hours... and yeah.. I jump in even when not needed...

As...to the Q80-8M... with a Mejzlik 24X10TH prop...it has killer power. A very good friend of mine at the club I belong to was there last Saturday when I last flew my Slick, and his first comment to me as I took off (and I didn't really even "punch" it) was... "WOW!! that thing has some power!!"..I only have one flight with that prop, but I can see that it is definitely more efficient than the APC 24X12 I tried, and a ton more power than the 24X10 Xoar I tried....I can't speak to the flight time as I only flew about 3-4 minutes, but even with that, I only took out about 30% out of my FlightMax 30C 6S 5000mAH packs...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:59 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
4,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
Nah...I'm not waking up today....too drugged out..hurt my back during the week, and it has been making my thighs cramp big time, so, ended up in the emergency room last night....Percocet and Flexiril...ever six hours... and yeah.. I jump in even when not needed...

As...to the Q80-8M... with a Mejzlik 24X10TH prop...it has killer power. A very good friend of mine at the club I belong to was there last Saturday when I last flew my Slick, and his first comment to me as I took off (and I didn't really even "punch" it) was... "WOW!! that thing has some power!!"..I only have one flight with that prop, but I can see that it is definitely more efficient than the APC 24X12 I tried, and a ton more power than the 24X10 Xoar I tried....I can't speak to the flight time as I only flew about 3-4 minutes, but even with that, I only took out about 30% out of my FlightMax 30C 6S 5000mAH packs...

SteveT
Get well. That sucks.
3Dplank is online now Find More Posts by 3Dplank
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:03 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plank420 View Post
Get well. That sucks.
Thanks my friend....yup..it is "really" hurting....will be heading for bed soon..."If" I can sleep in my bed...last night I couldn't...slept on the couch in a "reclining" position..

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:04 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,482 Posts
Hope everything gets to feeling better Steve.
wamsy55 is offline Find More Posts by wamsy55