HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:57 PM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
If I'm parallel charging 2 4s batteries I assume the voltage in your formula still stays at 14.8V?
Yes.
Da Big_G is online now Find More Posts by Da Big_G
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:06 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,699 Posts
Quote:
If I'm parallel charging 2 4s batteries I assume the voltage in your formula still stays at 14.8V?
Now you got it.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:16 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,440 Posts
Quote:
So my new 4Runner has a 400W 120V plug in the back. It would be nice to use my meanwell power supply and my iCharger 3010B that way but the meanwell is a 1000W power supply.

I know NOTHING about electricity (voltage, wattage, etc). I assume it's feasible to plug my charger setup into the outlet as long as I don't go above a certain amp charge rate? Is there any way to figure out what that rate might be? Or is it best just not to use that at all for this purpose and stick with my deep cycle field charging battery?
Don't worry, if you overdo it you just blow a fuse. I've done it twice
Simple easy fix. Mine isn't 400w either, that's a nice enhancement. Mine is only like 100 watts or so, I can barely charge anything back there.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:19 AM
3D Addict
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
1,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
What day are you going?
sunday
alfabeast is offline Find More Posts by alfabeast
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:31 AM
Team Hillbilly
United States, OH, New Albany
Joined Jun 2006
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
nope you should be able to parallel any amount of 4s batts at W(watts your system is rated for) / V (nominal voltage of pack...in your case 14.8V for a 4s) = A (amps you will be setting)

In other words... in your car 400W / 14.8V = 27A. Remember your efficiency will be around 70% with that system so 27A x .70 =18.9A safely no matter how many packs you have in parallel. 6s @ 22.2V your gonna be restricted to about 12.5 amps no matter how many packs you have hooked up.

At you house if you have a 24V power supply you are regulated by your 30A built in limit of the charger.
Just curious, but why would you want to go from DC to AC and back to DC? Wouldn't it be more efficient just to run a DC line off of the fuse panel to back of the vehicle? And wouldn't a 400W load run the battery down quickly?
blaiss is offline Find More Posts by blaiss
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:36 AM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,534 Posts
i killed the battery in my dads truck charging 6S's at the field. we had to get a jump fro someone else.
cale10 is online now Find More Posts by cale10
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:57 AM
Aerobatic Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,887 Posts
zmonster97,

Let me know what you come up with since I'll eventually want a 4" red spinner for the gas powered 103" with falcon prop. Would like to just buy it, drill it, and slap it on
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:58 AM
Aerobatic Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10 View Post
i killed the battery in my dads truck charging 6S's at the field. we had to get a jump fro someone else.
Just jump it from a charged 4s lipo next time if you have one laying around. I've done that once on a friends van
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:32 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
nope you should be able to parallel any amount of 4s batts at W(watts your system is rated for) / V (nominal voltage of pack...in your case 14.8V for a 4s) = A (amps you will be setting)

In other words... in your car 400W / 14.8V = 27A. Remember your efficiency will be around 70% with that system so 27A x .70 =18.9A safely no matter how many packs you have in parallel. 6s @ 22.2V your gonna be restricted to about 12.5 amps no matter how many packs you have hooked up.

At you house if you have a 24V power supply you are regulated by your 30A built in limit of the charger.
Thanks Bryan. But just to be clear I would be using the same power supply at the house and in the car. But I'm assuming what you're saying is that the limiting factor at home is the 30A max charge rate of my charger right?
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:36 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaiss View Post
Just curious, but why would you want to go from DC to AC and back to DC? Wouldn't it be more efficient just to run a DC line off of the fuse panel to back of the vehicle? And wouldn't a 400W load run the battery down quickly?
The car has to be running in order to utilize this outlet. But yes... I would drain the car battery in a hurry if it weren't running.

The reason I'm trying to use AC power is because I've got my charger setup to run at the house and it goes off of AC. The car has both AC and DC outlets. The AC outlet can go up to 400W. So I want to simply take my meanwell power supply and my 3010B with me when I go flying and simply plug it up in the car just as I would in the house and charge my batteries that way.

I've also got a deep cycle marine battery for this purpose but I like having the flexibility of using both if I want to.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:38 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
Don't worry, if you overdo it you just blow a fuse. I've done it twice
Simple easy fix. Mine isn't 400w either, that's a nice enhancement. Mine is only like 100 watts or so, I can barely charge anything back there.
That's true. It's odd though... in the manual they say not to use anything that pulls more than 10 amps from the DC outlet but they don't seem to specify for the AC outlet. They DO specify the watts though so I guess I should go by that (as Byran has done) instead and assume that the resulting amp draw is OK?

I could've sworn that I read somewhere at some point the other night that it was rated for up to 15 amps but now I can't find it.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:59 AM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugocraft View Post
zmonster97,

Let me know what you come up with since I'll eventually want a 4" red spinner for the gas powered 103" with falcon prop. Would like to just buy it, drill it, and slap it on
Ok, but I won't be getting a painted spinner.
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:12 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,691 Posts
who's going to WRAM? I'm planning for friday, but may be there saturday instead.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:15 AM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
who's going to WRAM? I'm planning for friday, but may be there saturday instead.
I hope to! I want to go friday, but I'll probably be there saturday.
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:25 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,699 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Bryan. But just to be clear I would be using the same power supply at the house and in the car. But I'm assuming what you're saying is that the limiting factor at home is the 30A max charge rate of my charger right?
Totally.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes