to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:27 AM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
If I had to guess he had the blade pitch reversed. I did that once. Scared the crap out of me. You start spinning the heli up and try to bring it off the ground. Only the blades are making down thrust and it stays down. Eventually I got to 3/4 throttle and it was still stuck down to the ground. So I brought the throttle to idle, which was conveniently about 8 degrees of positive pitch, and now that the head speed was nice and fast it launched off the ground very much like his did. Then slows the head down since the motor is at idle, and so it falls. In my case I gave throttle back to it to cushion the fall and made it fall faster (down thrust from reversed blade pitch) and also spin the head up, then you freak out because it's falling so fast and so you bring it to idle, giving up pitch again and shooting it back into the sky
Anyways after 4-5 yo-yo's I shut the whole thing down with throttle hold and let it fall. Most terrifying 15 seconds I've had in RC!
Sounds like a good reason to not run linear throttle on a heli.
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:29 AM
Old Dog learning new tricks~~
United States, PA, East Stroudsburg
Joined Jan 2011
351 Posts
Ya I thought it was a crazy place to fly that size heli anyway
bradhoke08 is offline Find More Posts by bradhoke08
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:34 AM
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,590 Posts
No kidding! I guess he had about enough room to hover and pirouette, but that's about it.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:49 AM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
Sounds like a good reason to not run a heli.

Fixed it for ya.
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:59 AM
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakevan View Post
Fixed it for ya.
Haha, yeah right!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:04 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,097 Posts
Any addicts in the Rock Island/Moline area?
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:05 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,097 Posts
We are going to take hometime in the Kingsport/Bristol, TN area over the weekend...I know Bivens is over in Ktown but anybody else in that area over the weekend?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:07 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,097 Posts
Looks like 100mi from Kingsport to Ktown....
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:27 PM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,854 Posts
Thanks everyone! I was just thinking about getting a Blade 450 bnf that I just saw a really good deal on. All of this talk (specifically Ryan's comments), has convinced me that I should just stay with planes!!!! Lol. Thanks for helping me keep some money.
CrashesALot is offline Find More Posts by CrashesALot
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:45 PM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,463 Posts
I have owned 3 450 size helis and two MCPx helis and to be honest the most fun I have is with my daughters $20 xheli coaxial toy. YMMV
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:50 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
We are going to take hometime in the Kingsport/Bristol, TN area over the weekend...I know Bivens is over in Ktown but anybody else in that area over the weekend?
Are you on a campaign trail? Trying to sell gopher control?
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:55 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
If I had to guess he had the blade pitch reversed. I did that once. Scared the crap out of me. You start spinning the heli up and try to bring it off the ground. Only the blades are making down thrust and it stays down. Eventually I got to 3/4 throttle and it was still stuck down to the ground. So I brought the throttle to idle, which was conveniently about 8 degrees of positive pitch, and now that the head speed was nice and fast it launched off the ground very much like his did. Then slows the head down since the motor is at idle, and so it falls. In my case I gave throttle back to it to cushion the fall and made it fall faster (down thrust from reversed blade pitch) and also spin the head up, then you freak out because it's falling so fast and so you bring it to idle, giving up pitch again and shooting it back into the sky
Anyways after 4-5 yo-yo's I shut the whole thing down with throttle hold and let it fall. Most terrifying 15 seconds I've had in RC!

Guy at our club got in to some helis and I think his largest is a 450 size?? Looks close or maybe a little smaller than the one in the video. One flight several months ago he got it turned around comming at him and had to sort of duck and cover....IE RUN!! Since then, I've seen the repaired heli at the field with him every time he is there...but he has not flown it again. I guess if my 87 chases me down I might have a little fear to.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:59 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Are you on a campaign trail? Trying to sell gopher control?
I could totally be president
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:17 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Guy at our club got in to some helis and I think his largest is a 450 size?? Looks close or maybe a little smaller than the one in the video. One flight several months ago he got it turned around comming at him and had to sort of duck and cover....IE RUN!! Since then, I've seen the repaired heli at the field with him every time he is there...but he has not flown it again. I guess if my 87 chases me down I might have a little fear to.
nah, that was a big 12s setup.

a 450 is a little 3s face scratcher compared to the guillotine in that dude's video!
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg