HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:04 PM
inverted-i-fly
3drcparts's Avatar
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Monson View Post
http://youtu.be/ZJQcIsTZh08

Does anyone know when the 47 Osiris will be back in stock? It would be nice to work on precision. It seems like the have been out of stock for quite some time.
The 47" Osiris is being discontinued
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:18 AM
SMOOOOKKKKKKEEEE
The Real Monson's Avatar
USA, IN, Avon
Joined Aug 2007
164 Posts
Hmm. I guess I'll get another Viper. Maybe red this time.
The Real Monson is offline Find More Posts by The Real Monson
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:32 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Bivens's Avatar
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,447 Posts
Mmmm...48 supervyper....I'll need another someday, I really liked mine.
Bivens is online now Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:43 PM
Registered User
robj's Avatar
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
For me, one of my favorite things about having "several" planes is the ability to put-off maintenance but still have something to fly.....now, the 119 needs the choke plate tightened up...but I've been putting it off for weeks...... gotta get motivated to do small maintenance like this...but it's hard convince myself to unload the trailer at home in the winter when it's cold and all.....maybe this week.
Didn't you build a nice cosey shop to work in?
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:48 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
If you want to run your servos off of a separate battery back how exactly do you go about doing that? Do you still us an external BEC and just connect it to a separate battery or what?

And I guess the only real reason you do this is for redundancy sake right? So if your main flight pack goes bad you still have servo control?
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:52 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Irg's Avatar
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
If you want to run your servos off of a separate battery back how exactly do you go about doing that? Do you still us an external BEC and just connect it to a separate battery or what?

And I guess the only real reason you do this is for redundancy sake right? So if your main flight pack goes bad you still have servo control?
if your rxr and servos can handle the voltage, you can do 2S direct. get a small 2s pack, and unless you find one with connectors already attached, I would solder two servo leads to the main wires. or you could make an adapter, for example deans--->two servo leads, and plug those right into the receiver. use two so that the amperage is spread over the two connections (servo connectors aren't rated for much amperage, iirc).

if you want the voltage to stay constant throughout the flight, you can use an external BEC to regulate. that's what I have in the 72, a 3s lipo into a BEC pro. 1000mah 3s gets me 7 flights, all at a constant 8 volts.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:54 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels
dskuro95's Avatar
United States, NJ, Blairstown
Joined May 2012
411 Posts
I know people run hitec 7955tg can run on 7.4(2s lipo) but why don't they have it as a recommended setting on the website?
dskuro95 is offline Find More Posts by dskuro95
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:57 PM
Registered User
robj's Avatar
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
If you want to run your servos off of a separate battery back how exactly do you go about doing that? Do you still us an external BEC and just connect it to a separate battery or what?

And I guess the only real reason you do this is for redundancy sake right? So if your main flight pack goes bad you still have servo control?
if your servos need less voltage, you can run a bec. Or I think a 2s life is about 6.6v. if you run HV servos, 7955, you can run straight off a 2s. I think the spektrum receivers are good up to 9v.

Redundancy, yes. I don't do it. I've had a couple old packs almost explode and still had my 6v to get the plane down.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:58 PM
Registered User
robj's Avatar
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dskuro95 View Post
I know people run hitec 7955tg can run on 7.4(2s lipo) but why don't they have it as a recommended setting on the website?
hitec now says 7955 ok on hv.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:59 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
if your rxr and servos can handle the voltage, you can do 2S direct. get a small 2s pack, and unless you find one with connectors already attached, I would solder two servo leads to the main wires. or you could make an adapter, for example deans--->two servo leads, and plug those right into the receiver. use two so that the amperage is spread over the two connections (servo connectors aren't rated for much amperage, iirc).

if you want the voltage to stay constant throughout the flight, you can use an external BEC to regulate. that's what I have in the 72, a 3s lipo into a BEC pro. 1000mah 3s gets me 7 flights, all at a constant 8 volts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
if your servos need less voltage, you can run a bec. Or I think a 2s life is about 6.6v. if you run HV servos, 7955, you can run straight off a 2s. I think the spektrum receivers are good up to 9v.

Redundancy, yes. I don't do it. I've had a couple old packs almost explode and still had my 6v to get the plane down.
Thanks. This is helpful.

I tend to agree with Rob - I've had a lot of things fail on me before but I've never had a battery that got so low that I didn't at least have servo control before. BUT... I certainly don't want to lose a plane over something stupid so I could also see going this route on a larger plane.

For now I'm just running a BEC Pro connected to the same battery that's running everythign else and I've had zero issues.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:59 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels
dskuro95's Avatar
United States, NJ, Blairstown
Joined May 2012
411 Posts
Why doesn't hitec recommend it though?
dskuro95 is offline Find More Posts by dskuro95
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:02 PM
Team Twisted!
hone1er's Avatar
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dskuro95 View Post
Why doesn't hitec recommend it though?
Then it would be the same as the 7954 (except the gears of course)
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:06 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Irg's Avatar
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Thanks. This is helpful.

I tend to agree with Rob - I've had a lot of things fail on me before but I've never had a battery that got so low that I didn't at least have servo control before. BUT... I certainly don't want to lose a plane over something stupid so I could also see going this route on a larger plane.

For now I'm just running a BEC Pro connected to the same battery that's running everythign else and I've had zero issues.
yeah, I have the Vyper 65 setup that way. it's easy and it has worked for me for hundreds and hundreds of flights. putting in a one rxr battery setup isn't really redundant in my opinion. either way, your receiver and servos are powered off of one single power source. the only way to achieve true redundancy is through two batteries and an isolation circuit that keeps them from draining each other if one bites it.

I set up the 72 with the single receiver pack simply because I could use a little nose weight, Joe Smith had a similar setup, and I wanted to try something new .
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:07 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels
dskuro95's Avatar
United States, NJ, Blairstown
Joined May 2012
411 Posts
Don't they cost more too?
dskuro95 is offline Find More Posts by dskuro95
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:10 PM
Team Twisted!
hone1er's Avatar
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dskuro95 View Post
Don't they cost more too?
Depends where you get them from.

A lot of people(including myself)use 7955s direct off 2s with no problems. If you want to see it in writing chief aircraft says it's approved for HV http://www.chiefaircraft.com/hit-hs-7955tg.html

At servo city 7955 is $94 and the 7954 is $99 but at chief aircraft the 7955 is $90 and the 7954 is $79
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion You are addicted to flying when.... postalflyer72 Electric Plane Talk 34 Jul 16, 2011 11:12 PM
Video Angelo Lomelí flying 3D antics Jorge Fernandez Electric Plane Talk 0 Sep 30, 2006 02:22 PM
Tiger Moth antics - flying inverted w/video SnoJetter Parkflyers 49 Sep 16, 2003 07:25 PM
Help! Getting addicted to Park Flying fly4fun Parkflyers 11 Feb 16, 2002 10:58 AM
You know when your addicted to Slow Flying when..... Gman Parkflyers 51 Aug 05, 2001 03:19 AM