Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:04 AM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Monson View Post
http://youtu.be/ZJQcIsTZh08

Does anyone know when the 47 Osiris will be back in stock? It would be nice to work on precision. It seems like the have been out of stock for quite some time.
The 47" Osiris is being discontinued
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:18 AM
SMOOOOKKKKKKEEEE
USA, IN, Avon
Joined Aug 2007
164 Posts
Hmm. I guess I'll get another Viper. Maybe red this time.
The Real Monson is online now Find More Posts by The Real Monson
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:32 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,511 Posts
Mmmm...48 supervyper....I'll need another someday, I really liked mine.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:43 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
For me, one of my favorite things about having "several" planes is the ability to put-off maintenance but still have something to fly.....now, the 119 needs the choke plate tightened up...but I've been putting it off for weeks...... gotta get motivated to do small maintenance like this...but it's hard convince myself to unload the trailer at home in the winter when it's cold and all.....maybe this week.
Didn't you build a nice cosey shop to work in?
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:48 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
If you want to run your servos off of a separate battery back how exactly do you go about doing that? Do you still us an external BEC and just connect it to a separate battery or what?

And I guess the only real reason you do this is for redundancy sake right? So if your main flight pack goes bad you still have servo control?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:52 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
If you want to run your servos off of a separate battery back how exactly do you go about doing that? Do you still us an external BEC and just connect it to a separate battery or what?

And I guess the only real reason you do this is for redundancy sake right? So if your main flight pack goes bad you still have servo control?
if your rxr and servos can handle the voltage, you can do 2S direct. get a small 2s pack, and unless you find one with connectors already attached, I would solder two servo leads to the main wires. or you could make an adapter, for example deans--->two servo leads, and plug those right into the receiver. use two so that the amperage is spread over the two connections (servo connectors aren't rated for much amperage, iirc).

if you want the voltage to stay constant throughout the flight, you can use an external BEC to regulate. that's what I have in the 72, a 3s lipo into a BEC pro. 1000mah 3s gets me 7 flights, all at a constant 8 volts.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:54 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels
United States, NJ, Blairstown
Joined May 2012
416 Posts
I know people run hitec 7955tg can run on 7.4(2s lipo) but why don't they have it as a recommended setting on the website?
dskuro95 is offline Find More Posts by dskuro95
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:57 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
Quote:

if your servos need less voltage, you can run a bec. Or I think a 2s life is about 6.6v. if you run HV servos, 7955, you can run straight off a 2s. I think the spektrum receivers are good up to 9v.

Redundancy, yes. I don't do it. I've had a couple old packs almost explode and still had my 6v to get the plane down.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:58 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dskuro95 View Post
I know people run hitec 7955tg can run on 7.4(2s lipo) but why don't they have it as a recommended setting on the website?
hitec now says 7955 ok on hv.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:59 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
if your rxr and servos can handle the voltage, you can do 2S direct. get a small 2s pack, and unless you find one with connectors already attached, I would solder two servo leads to the main wires. or you could make an adapter, for example deans--->two servo leads, and plug those right into the receiver. use two so that the amperage is spread over the two connections (servo connectors aren't rated for much amperage, iirc).

if you want the voltage to stay constant throughout the flight, you can use an external BEC to regulate. that's what I have in the 72, a 3s lipo into a BEC pro. 1000mah 3s gets me 7 flights, all at a constant 8 volts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
if your servos need less voltage, you can run a bec. Or I think a 2s life is about 6.6v. if you run HV servos, 7955, you can run straight off a 2s. I think the spektrum receivers are good up to 9v.

Redundancy, yes. I don't do it. I've had a couple old packs almost explode and still had my 6v to get the plane down.
Thanks. This is helpful.

I tend to agree with Rob - I've had a lot of things fail on me before but I've never had a battery that got so low that I didn't at least have servo control before. BUT... I certainly don't want to lose a plane over something stupid so I could also see going this route on a larger plane.

For now I'm just running a BEC Pro connected to the same battery that's running everythign else and I've had zero issues.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:59 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels
Joined May 2012
416 Posts
Why doesn't hitec recommend it though?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:02 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,319 Posts
Quote:
Why doesn't hitec recommend it though?
Then it would be the same as the 7954 (except the gears of course)
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:06 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,706 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. This is helpful.

I tend to agree with Rob - I've had a lot of things fail on me before but I've never had a battery that got so low that I didn't at least have servo control before. BUT... I certainly don't want to lose a plane over something stupid so I could also see going this route on a larger plane.

For now I'm just running a BEC Pro connected to the same battery that's running everythign else and I've had zero issues.
yeah, I have the Vyper 65 setup that way. it's easy and it has worked for me for hundreds and hundreds of flights. putting in a one rxr battery setup isn't really redundant in my opinion. either way, your receiver and servos are powered off of one single power source. the only way to achieve true redundancy is through two batteries and an isolation circuit that keeps them from draining each other if one bites it.

I set up the 72 with the single receiver pack simply because I could use a little nose weight, Joe Smith had a similar setup, and I wanted to try something new .
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:07 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels
Joined May 2012
416 Posts
Don't they cost more too?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:10 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,319 Posts
Quote:
Don't they cost more too?
Depends where you get them from.

A lot of people(including myself)use 7955s direct off 2s with no problems. If you want to see it in writing chief aircraft says it's approved for HV http://www.chiefaircraft.com/hit-hs-7955tg.html

At servo city 7955 is $94 and the 7954 is $99 but at chief aircraft the 7955 is $90 and the 7954 is $79
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er