HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:55 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,466 Posts
I sanded my wing tube 2.5 years ago and have put over 1k flights on it. L have done full throttle blenders, poptops, and tumbles without issues. With that said my wing tube is 1/2 the thickness of the new wing tubes that come with the 3dhs 30cc birds now. So a thousandths of an inch l can't see hurting anything.
Now the 51 slicks New wing tubes are thinner and l highly suggest you don't sand one of those. We have had 2 break on us in flight luckily we had spare wing tubes and the planes didn't suffer much damage.
I sanded the 89 slicks tube also as it wouldn't slide in the fuse or wings. That was over 2 years ago too.
(your mileage my vary)
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:56 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugocraft View Post
Review here and statement from castle about it only has one servo lead

http://www.3drcforums.com/content.ph...tions-Talon-90
It was pretty far down in the thread, so here ya go.

Quote:
Patrick del Castillo (the owner, head engineer and CEO of the company) has responded directly to these concerns on the RC Groups forum. Here is his response:

"Here's the answer from James Anderson -- our engineer in Kansas who did the testing on the single RX lead version of the Beta Talon-90.

This was originally posted in Castle Creations' Beta testing forum.

"We have done extensive testing with the Talon BEC using resistive loads, as well as power hungry align, savox, and several other normal and HV servos. The current that is drawn by servos is very inconsistent and will normal be very low (under 2A) with large spikes (~5A) during fast movements. During testing we kept the servos moving as much as possible and watched the temperatures of the wires and connectors using a thermal camera. Even under resistive loads higher than our continuous rating the connector temperature never reached unsafe temperatures. Our testing left us confident that a single connector and wire will be able to handle the loads of any setup.

A second servo lead was considered as a way to give the consumer piece of mind but was decided against to maintain the simplicity of the product. A second lead may lead to confusion with people new to the hobby and would also likely lead to support issues during castle linking. The castle link adapter is only able to provide power to the unit during programing. With a second wire the second wire would have to be disconnected from the servos and radios to castle link or extra circuitry would have to be added leading to more cost as well as inefficiency. The BEC pro has a separate link port for this reason. This could be done on the Talon as well but adds even more complexity and cost to the unit.

The goal of this unit was to make a simple lower cost product that is easy to setup. Because of the problems mentioned above it was decided that a second wire would not be a step towards this goal. Our testing has showed that the single wire and connector will be safe for even the toughest setup. Since we have received a good amount of feedback asking about a second wire I will make sure that it is considered again when we work on future projects.

We do not recommend soldering a second servo lead to the unit. The case was not designed to support this and it will likely lead to wire chafing
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:00 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
I sanded my wing tube 2.5 years ago and have put over 1k flights on it. L have done full throttle blenders, poptops, and tumbles without issues. With that said my wing tube is 1/2 the thickness of the new wing tubes that come with the 3dhs 30cc birds now. So a thousandths of an inch l can't see hurting anything.
Now the 51 slicks New wing tubes are thinner and l highly suggest you don't sand one of those. We have had 2 break on us in flight luckily we had spare wing tubes and the planes didn't suffer much damage.
I sanded the 89 slicks tube also as it wouldn't slide in the fuse or wings. That was over 2 years ago too.
(your mileage my vary)
My 70 was like you describe, the tube would barely go into the wings without a ton of force and twisting. A very, very small amount was taken off in sanding... I think polishing would almost be a more accurate description. I have done hard full throttle maneuvers every flight in the six months since... and I can be sure Losi flies his stuff hard as well

But I trust Jim that there is something more to it than just how thick the remaining material is, so from here on out I will sand the receiver tubes if needed.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:06 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
(your mileage my vary)
I understand completely. But I'm not going to sand mine and there are reasons for it. I know people have.But I would just like people to know its not recommended, and hopefully save some people some grief. It really is recommended to sand the receiver tube. Just because you have sanded your tube and appear to of gotten away with it, does not mean everyone else will. And that's what is important here.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:07 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
I understand completely. But I'm not going to sand mine and there are reasons for it. I know people have.But I would just like people to know its not recommended, and hopefully save some people some grief. It really is recommended to sand the receiver tube. Just because you have sanded your tube and appear to of gotten away with it, does not mean everyone else will. And that's what is important here.
Jsmith, what is a good way to sand the receiving tube?
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:11 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
idk but id say one of them super industrial grinders they use on cars n stuff.
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:11 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
I take a wooden dole rod. tape a piece of sand paper to it (180).
Wrap it around, chuck it in a drill and sand away.
I have added thin foam when wrapping to build up a bit of pressure on the bigger tubes.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:16 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,490 Posts
Patrick del Castillo statement here at RCG

*not debating what he wrote, but I won't be buying a talon*
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:50 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,659 Posts
Quote:
I take a wooden dole rod. tape a piece of sand paper to it (180).
Wrap it around, chuck it in a drill and sand away.
I have added thin foam when wrapping to build up a bit of pressure on the bigger tubes.
I'm going to take the risk of sounding like the guy who needs a "don't change fan belt with engine running" sticker... but maybe a quick added tip in the manuals might be good?

It seems like a good portion of us have encountered this little snag in building... in my case just one plane out of the 6 or so balsa birds I've built. Being that most of us don't have a ton of experience in carbon fiber manufacturing I don't think it's too foolish to think sanding off 0.05mm wouldn't be a big deal.

Maybe something like "If the wingtube is too tight, sand the receiver tubes with sandpaper wrapped around a dowel."
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:52 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
I'm going to take the risk of sounding like the guy who needs a "don't change fan belt with engine running" sticker... but maybe a quick added tip in the manuals might be good?

It seems like a good portion of us have encountered this little snag in building... in my case just one plane out of the 6 or so balsa birds I've built. Being that most of us don't have a ton of experience in carbon fiber manufacturing I don't think it's too foolish to think sanding off 0.05mm wouldn't be a big deal.

Maybe something like "If the wingtube is too tight, sand the receiver tubes with sandpaper wrapped around a dowel."
I agree with you.
I remember the first time we got a tube stuck. Took three of us to get it out.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:07 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,678 Posts
You should sand the inside of the receiver tube by wrapping a piece of sand paper around a dowel. Insert it ad then rotate the dowel, don;t use the usual "in and out" stroke...

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:19 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
So what if the wing tube is a hair too long? I assume it's OK to gently sand down one end for a flush fit? Or is this a no-no too?
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:11 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,678 Posts
Hacksaw, cutting torch, bandsaw, laser cutter, sanding....whatever floats your boat!!

Seriously...sanding or fine razor saw is the best, just make sure to wear a face mask, as the carbon filaments are nasty stuff..

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:13 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,185 Posts
Quote:
I agree with you.
I remember the first time we got a tube stuck. Took three of us to get it out.
That was about like my 87. I though I was going to break the plane getting it in, then break it again trying to get it out. I sanded the fuse and wing tube where they met the fuse and the outside of the wing. That made it much easier. But in the end I had to hit the tube a bit(I was using 600). I could put the tube in one wing with no problem. Flip the tube 180 and put it in the same wing and it would get stuck about half way. Good for 36 flights so far.

On the flip side the 87 stab guide or cf tube is the wrong size. Its very loose. I did a 3/4 wrap of packing tape to take up some of the slack. No problems there either.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:20 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,871 Posts
Man, if I were an RCG PLUS member, I could post every two seconds? Wow. Sign me up. Psssh.
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer