HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:04 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,532 Posts
Need help solving major problem!!

I need some help solving a major issue i have run into with my extra. My wingtube is a vary tight fit, but after talking to 3dhs I was told that was normal. Well I got it in the plane and when I was removing it it got stuck and then when I tried to turn it the receiver broke at the glue joints. Now the wing tube is stuck in my plane with no way to get it out, if I could remove it I can re-glue the receiver as the glue joints are the only things that broke. I sent an E-mail to Noll about it and I am sure he will get back to me soon. However sometimes people on here have some good ideas on how to solve issues like this.

Thanks,
3Daddict
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:06 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,647 Posts
get a can of lithium grease and hit the affected areas. work it slowly, then reglue receiver tube.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:08 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
get a can of lithium grease and hit the affected areas. work it slowly, then reglue receiver tube.
How would I get the lithium grease into the receiver with the wing-tube still in it?

Thanks,
3Daddict.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:09 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,647 Posts
hmm, I was assuming you have some degree of play/movement bavk and forth.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:23 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,532 Posts
Quote:
No, it just froze up for some reason. it was moving fine, snug but still able to turn. Then for some reason it just got stuck and when I tried to turn it the glue joints broke. I am scratching my head trying to figure out a way to get it out and can not think of anything.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:25 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,286 Posts
put it in the garage and check it in the morning
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:26 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,532 Posts
Quote:
I think the problem is that the receiver just spins in circles now every time I turn the tube. Combine that with the tight fit and that is why I can not get the tube out. i would try and grip the fiberglass receiver but I do not want to crack it. i guess i will have to weight and see if noll has any ideas, if not there is a local guy I know that is vary good at fixing planes. i could ask him if he has any ideas.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:28 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
put it in the garage and check it in the morning
That is what I am going to have to do for now, i need to get some sleep. I do not want to mess with it and make it worse right now. As there is nothing broke except for a glue joint. if anyone else has any more ideas please share them.

Thanks,
3Daddict
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:31 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
I need some help solving a major issue i have run into with my extra. My wingtube is a vary tight fit, but after talking to 3dhs I was told that was normal. Well I got it in the plane and when I was removing it it got stuck and then when I tried to turn it the receiver broke at the glue joints. Now the wing tube is stuck in my plane with no way to get it out, if I could remove it I can re-glue the receiver as the glue joints are the only things that broke. I sent an E-mail to Noll about it and I am sure he will get back to me soon. However sometimes people on here have some good ideas on how to solve issues like this.

Thanks,
3Daddict
Answered in the other thread....

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:58 AM
3DHobbyShop Addict
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,552 Posts
http://www.helimax-rc.com/helicopter...ssl/index.html
WANT!!
Brushless Axe 100 CP with night flying lights, TX-r so I can use my Futaba....
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:27 AM
Aerobatic Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post

Thanks,
3Daddict
My 87shp wing tube started to get tight last summer so ended up using DuPont Teflon spray that I had laying around and seems to work really good. On the 103 I'm building the tail tubes are really tight so going to use that.

But since yours is stuck with the receiving tube spinning in the fuse the only thing I can think of to hold the receiving is rubber oil filter wrenches. I would think that would hold it without damaging the spinning tube or marking it up but you'll have to try it to find out. Also they only hold one direction so you would need 2 to go back and forth or just trying spinning the wingtube only one way to get it out. Something like this

then try to keep twisting to get it out so you can lube both up. Not sure what if anything will soak into the gap with it stuck but you can try with the fuse on its side so gravity can help pull whatever liquid you try to get in there.
HugoCraft is online now Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Last edited by HugoCraft; Jan 31, 2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:38 AM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Also keep in mind that temperature is a factor in how tight the tubes are. My 87 wing tube is very difficult to install/remove when it's below 35F.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:48 AM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
I don't know if this is a nono, but my 70 Velox tube was so tight I was absolutely certain I was going to break something. I took some medium grit sand paper to it and took off just enough to make it snug but easy to insert.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:17 AM
3DHobbyShop Addict
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
I don't know if this is a nono, but my 70 Velox tube was so tight I was absolutely certain I was going to break something. I took some medium grit sand paper to it and took off just enough to make it snug but easy to insert.
I've heard that weakens it...idk though.
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:52 AM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
I've heard that weakens it...idk though.
Taking material off of anything weakens it... I'd guess we're talking a fraction of a millimeter though.

At any rate... I'm flying that Velox on an overpowered A50-12L and have given it many full throttle blenders with no problem thus far.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate