HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:15 PM
HIBDON FOR PRESIDENT !!
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
Oh I'm not positive. But him being I believe around the same age as me, it would take one heck of a lot of work and mowing lawns to get even $700. But there are ways to get double that, it just would take a looong time I'm hoping to build a 48'' 3DHS Edge sometime too...

Dan
A lot of work is what it takes sometimes to earn your way!
goflyhighrc is online now Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:18 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
I should be getting a 74" edge at the wram show! I'll be buying that with my own money! My parents pretty much never buy me anything for my planes. (except for Christmas and birthday.)
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:19 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,544 Posts
Yeah my parents will buy the occasional $7 propeller or $20 something that I need at the LHS. Other than that it's all up to me.

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Montreal and New Hampshire 2014
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:20 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
I do see your point. I see all the points being made. My point is, I dont think you're going to get the wow factor with a $300 plane needed to sustain an entire event. Participate in the mini events, and trust me, if you're good enough, you'll find a way to get that 50cc! And when you do, you're going to have a better appreciation for the hobby and 3d in general. It's a different game. I like diggity2424's sports reference. The 50cc class is college ball. 40% are big leagues. Is rather watch a college game than a little League game any day of the week. But it's absolutely no offense to the little Leaguer, we all began there, I just don't travel hundreds of miles to watch little League.
Word. I race motorcycles, but that doesn't mean I'm MotoGP class. Those riders had to build their way up, it wasn't just that they have all the money. My 600rr just won't keep up, and people can see a 600rr every day, so it just doesn't have the wow factor.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Last edited by quadracer; Jan 25, 2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:58 PM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
Oh I'm not positive. But him being I believe around the same age as me, it would take one heck of a lot of work and mowing lawns to get even $700. But there are ways to get double that, it just would take a looong time I'm hoping to build a 48'' 3DHS Edge sometime too...

Dan
Around here it is about $25 a lawn so 700/25 = 28 lawns....not that many really So 28/4 would be 7 total customers for a month. Yes, there would be other expenses but if you want to solve a problem you have to start doing the math and figuring out how not why it doesn't happen. just saying
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:01 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,572 Posts
Perhaps what I need to do is organize my own event. I am going to investigate how much it would cost me to put on a small event-competition for 60'' and under 3d balsa planes. I will have to do some homework to figure out how much it would cost, and then I will approach my fellow club members and see if I cant get something going. If there is anyone who would be interested in attending an event like this if I can get one going PM me. I want to see how much interest there is in something like this before i commit the time and money to organizing it.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:15 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,479 Posts
hey guys i just put my first pane on the RF swaps. its called cap 232 electric 3d v1.0 by cale10.
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:35 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,415 Posts
".... A $2k+ jaw-dropping plane being flown like it was stolen....."

Such as when I loaned Stephen Washington my 103 at our night contest after he crashed his edge earlier...and he won with it......when he started with a 3/4 snap right off the deck to begin the routine....Noll says...."so, do you KNOW this guy???!?!?" Steve had never even flown the plane before........Steve DID fly my plane like it was stolen...
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:40 PM
USA, VA, Narrows
Joined Mar 2009
1,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post

Such as when I loaned Stephen Washington my 103 at our night contest after he crashed his edge earlier...and he won with it......when he started with a 3/4 snap right off the deck to begin the routine....Noll says...."so, do you KNOW this guy???!?!?" Steve had never even flown the plane before........Steve DID fly my plane like a rental...
So Bivens will we be seeing a new king 50 type of event in Knoxville?
skippy78 is online now Find More Posts by skippy78
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:51 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post

Such as when I loaned Stephen Washington my 103 at our night contest after he crashed his edge earlier...and he won with it......when he started with a 3/4 snap right off the deck to begin the routine....Noll says...."so, do you KNOW this guy???!?!?" Steve had never even flown the plane before........Steve DID fly my plane like it was stolen...
Everyone flies your planes like that...
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:52 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,415 Posts
Ok....first, the FLI series in ktown involves more than just myself...but, I'd be willing to have a night competition with a 3min routine....maybe even a category for gassers and a separate class for up to 6s electrics for those who want to huck in a comp with the small stuff. The bottom line is....we are all about fun in Knoxville and I'll have LOTS of light so you can fly as though it is daytime....

I just don't want to close the flight line down during the day for a long period of time, so it should be at night. What do the people who are coming to our event want? We had a lot of fun last year with the 3min format....and you could fly any plane you wanted to risk. It took about an hours worth of time away from open flying...no big deal if held at a time that works for everyone. I'm listening.

If we judge gas and smaller elecs separately, you will no doubt get to see Joe and Wamsy go head to head with Steve and others flying gas, while the 38's and 51's go at it too. We could do electric on Friday night and gas on Saturday and that would get it done quickly. And we can suggest that the pro's not compete in the small class.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:54 PM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,854 Posts
I think I may need to get down to TN and convince Bivens to give me a pull on his 103 or a 104 if he has one going by then .
CrashesALot is offline Find More Posts by CrashesALot
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:57 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,415 Posts
Bring your OWN golf cart...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:58 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby