Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:26 PM
Wingman II
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2011
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
Agreed!

I have to add that I am not upset about this new rule at all. I do feel that it is a rule that should have been put into place before the first king50 took place. Since it wasn't, they unfortunately have to single me out by implementing it now. This isn't bad, it needed to be done and I am glad they went ahead and did it. I personally feel that after you win it once you should be done. This was my plan after I won it the first year but many people convinced me I should keep doing it.

The contest was meant to be for up and coming pilots to get their name out. I think the contest was a great idea and I look forward to it continuing on. The contest also takes place on a saturday at a huckfest so different classes and such are not an option imo. I would love to see this contest be turned into an event of its own though and then have like a king 50 and maybe a king100 as a higher up class.

Thanks everyone for all of the support, I think the decision had to made regardless of how "low" it seems to be.

Joe
Joe, your all class my friend. I'm just curious what it would be like if you ever decide to fly with a chip on your shoulder. Extremely Epic!! I believe is the thing to say. My point is this, I'm not saying change your personality one bit. (Love it, great guy). I played basketball all through my college career and I always played better and more intense when someone or something motivated me in a negative way.
diggity2424 is offline Find More Posts by diggity2424
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:26 PM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher View Post
... it was invented by two drunk dudes on a golf cart. ...
See, you were well onto getting into trouble with golf carts without me D)

Joe, as usual, way to step up and no let this affect you. You are really handling this in the utmost professional manner!
CrashesALot is online now Find More Posts by CrashesALot
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:27 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
Just watch out for flying ping pong balls.
Haha! I like that RealFlight doesn't sensor our conversations. Makes it easyJet to communicate!
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:28 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
One more thing I will add is I am tired of this notion that if you can not afford a 50cc you can not compete in anything. There is a lot of people such as myself that have a high skill level, but do not have a ton of money. I think there needs to be competitions made up for the 60'' and under airplanes, and not have it age restricted but have it open to all. Treat it like a real competition such as the king 50 ect. After all this is not only a hobby for the rich, and you should be judged on skill and not the size plane you can afford.
I agree with your sentiment, but lets face it; 3D shows draw a large portion of the crowd for one reason, and that is the high probability of an expensive crash. A lot like NASCAR. To the pilots (or drivers/crew) it sucks, but the fans love to see someone pile it in. On a 48" or 60" plane, it doesn't hurt near as bad.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:31 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
I think the 48 size planes would have way too many entries to be realistic. The typical 18 year old will not have a 50cc but a bad mother flyer 18 year old would make a 50cc plane his goal to enter the contest. It made it risky, therefore much more entertaining to watch. Watching $300 planes 2" of the ground is cool, but it's common. The noise and risk of a $2000 plane all adds to the wow factor. Even a contest of 30cc planes wouldn't be nearly as entertaining imo.

I did like what Knoxville did last year. They had a mini routine contest and all sizes were allowed to enter I believe. It was a lot of fun, but nothing like a big main event!
You are completely missing the point. to people like myself a 60'' plane is the same risk money wise as a 50cc plane is to others. I am tired of people who have a lot of money being able to compete, but those of us who do not have money for a giant scale have to sit on the side lines even though we have a vary high skill level. After all you should be judged by your skill not your wallet.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:31 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,519 Posts
Quote:
I agree with your sentiment, but lets face it; 3D shows draw a large portion of the crowd for one reason, and that is the high probability of an expensive crash. A lot like NASCAR. To the pilots (or drivers/crew) it sucks, but the fans love to see someone pile it in. On a 48" or 60" plane, it doesn't hurt near as bad.
if everything else went wrong though i'd rather have a 48" electric plane coming at me than a 100cc gasser.
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:32 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3daddict View Post
after all you should be judged by your skill not your wallet.
+9999999999999999999
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:33 PM
Wingman II
Joined Sep 2011
1,259 Posts
Quote:
I disagree about the crash thing. When I'm at an event, I don't ever want to see a crash. Every time I see one I feel so bad for the pilot. I feel as if I had crashed my plane too. I have been a pilot and not a spectator, so made that's the difference.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:35 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,453 Posts
I withdraw my age restricition proposal, you guys make great points.

Quote:
Your dues are funding national competitions in control-line carrier landings. Why shouldn't they fund bad-arse 3D throwdowns?
All good points all, but this is an especially surprising and excellent point. Control line carrier landings? I am speechless, and did not realize that.

I am going to be contacting the organization that I pay dues to every year sometime during the course of the next week, in as friendly a way possible, and find out how we can influence them toward this direction. I will communicate my findings later.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:36 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10 View Post
+9999999999999999999
+1

(10000000000000000000 )

But seriously... good point. Like a lot of the crazy talented people in the world came from poor backgrounds and stuff, but they were born with this epic talent. I guess this really doesn't apply as much to 3D flying, but it still proves the point

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: WASP 280 Mini Quad
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:37 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,660 Posts
Quote:
...Your dues are funding national competitions in control-line carrier landings. Why shouldn't they fund bad-arse 3D throwdowns?
bam. totally agree.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:38 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10 View Post
if everything else went wrong though i'd rather have a 48" electric plane coming at me than a 100cc gasser.
You and I both! But what's going to capture people's attention and gaze, and peak their interest in the hobby? A $2k+ jaw-dropping plane being flown like it was stolen, or a $300 plane being flown (even though the little plane may have a better pilot behind the sticks..)?

The general public doesn't really take into account things like lines and smoothness or pilot skill, they just want to see BIG planes do awesome stuff. Which I agree, sucks, but it is what it is.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:42 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,647 Posts
Quote:
You and I both! But what's going to capture people's attention and gaze, and peak their interest in the hobby? A $2k+ jaw-dropping plane being flown like it was stolen, or a $300 plane being flown (even though the little plane may have a better pilot behind the sticks..)?

The general public doesn't really take into account things like lines and smoothness or pilot skill, they just want to see BIG planes do awesome stuff. Which I agree, sucks, but it is what it is.
again you are missing the point. It is not about the general public. It is about skill of the piolt and opening up competitions for everybody and not just the economic elite.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:42 PM
Wingman II
Joined Sep 2011
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
You are completely missing the point. to people like myself a 60'' plane is the same risk money wise as a 50cc plane is to others. I am tired of people who have a lot of money being able to compete, but those of us who do not have money for a giant scale have to sit on the side lines even though we have a vary high skill level. After all you should be judged by your skill not your wallet.
I agree with what your saying, totally!! But again I like comparisons to sports. Say you went to the NBA All Star game. It's the best of the best, right! You had your choice of floor seats or nose bleed seats. I would say that 99.9% of people would pick floor seats. It's bigger, faster, stronger, louder, and intense.!!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:46 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Yeah, when I fly at the JVS parking lot, only the 57 SC or the 71 Slick will draw visitors over from the Walmart. 46 Yak, Bah! Nobody cares.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer