SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:21 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,534 Posts
well so much for getting sponsored this year. closest place 3dhs will be at is 6.5 hours away. :/
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:24 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10 View Post
well so much for getting sponsored this year. closest place 3dhs will be at is 6.5 hours away. :/
Take off at 6 you'll be there by lunch!!
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:08 PM
SMOOOOKKKKKKEEEE
USA, IN, Avon
Joined Aug 2007
164 Posts
It's really disappointing that they are excluding Joe. There are so many other ways that they could have gone about it. The King 50 is/was the premier 3D event. Maybe they will reconsider but eliminating a 3DHS pilot because you are in a disagreement seems a little extreme to me.
The Real Monson is offline Find More Posts by The Real Monson
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:16 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,231 Posts
Sleepy over at FG said they made a new rule that if you win the King 50 3 times you can no longer compete. Wonder what Joe thinks about this? Kind of disappointing if you ask me. I see the King 50 as the top 3d event every year.

The whole point of the King 50 was to introduce new pilots to the world. So we are pushing forward with the addition of this new rule. I hope this takes some of the nervousness away from younger pilots to come out and rip! [/I]

Seems to me the whole point of of a great competion is to compete against the best. To eliminate previous winners, no matter how many times they have won is nuts. In my view who ever wins this year should have an "asterik" put by their name stating I won but I did not fly against the best.
goflyhighrc is offline Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:20 PM
Team CJ Youngblood
United States, WV, Wheeling
Joined Jul 2009
1,478 Posts
I like the Pro, Amateur, class idea. You qualify and so many points puts you in pro, amateur, and beginner. That way EVERYONE can compete and there will be more entry fee incomes, everyone will have a chance to fly with the "best" and it can become something "big". I can see the FLI events producing something like this...We will see.

But that being said....when Joe won his first King 50, no one "expected" him to win, he put a lot of time and effort into it, and beat some of the top guys that were expected to win. So really anyone could win King 50 if they put the time and effort into it, Joe is just really good.
anthony7820 is offline Find More Posts by anthony7820
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:42 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,887 Posts
Very well said Jim and I had to post over there my feelings when I heard the change. I totally agree with "going to impose the new rule to just keep Joe out, they should add 1 more, Anyone who has competed in XFC can't be in it either."
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:03 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,507 Posts
drama is no fun....see you at the Ktown FLI.....no drama there....just fun....guaranteed. I think my family is booking an alaska vacation that will keep me from the Ohio event anyway.....but i bet there will be some 3dhs planes in K50...maybe Anthony, Steven, Michael...they were both there last year....all were first timers and did a great job.
Bivens is online now Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:23 AM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
drama is no fun....see you at the Ktown FLI.....no drama there....just fun....guaranteed. I think my family is booking an alaska vacation that will keep me from the Ohio event anyway.....but i bet there will be some 3dhs planes in K50...maybe Anthony, Steven, Michael...they were both there last year....all were first timers and did a great job.
Known FLI sounds fun
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:58 AM
Former Futaba employee
Joined Aug 2006
1,178 Posts
I always thought King 50 was started as a way for unknown-unsponsored pilots a shot at a title, kind of like Rocky, at least thats the way I interpreted from Ben at 3DHS.

We decided that there needed to be a new freestyle competition for 50CC class aircraft and pilots who had not had a big break - yet.With 50CC class planes, even unsponsored guys can afford to take risks to win. So, we cooked up the idea of King 50.

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...04&postcount=1

Its kind of sad then when the rules don't apply some really get offended and there is some kind of drama and no offense but we rarely see this from other great pilots.
keyman923 is offline Find More Posts by keyman923
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:44 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,624 Posts
But, why was it that when Joe won, it was said that the only reason he won, was due to the fact he is a sponsored pilot from 3DHS (yes, one of the previous sponsors of the Huckfest series), yet Jase Dussia came in second place, and there were no comments made that he placed due to being sponsored by Extreme Flight.....seems a little biased to me...but then I wasn't there, so, what do I know....(only what I read/hear)....

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:47 AM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
We kinda expected it. 3DHS pulled out of the huckfests, started their own version,(FLI). I dont see any ads from 3DHS on FG any more. Quite a few sour apples over there. FG does have a reputation. Yes I am sad to see them take this route. Lots of young kids were competing in the King 50 last year. All of them really like Joe and probably prefer the rule not being made. I personally think that if they are going to impose the new rule to just keep Joe out, they should add 1 more, Anyone who has competed in XFC can't be in it either. Joe's happy he was able to win it 3 years in a row. He knows how hard he worked and the time he put in to win it too. He also knows how much time he spent helping the other competitors so they could have a chance to win it too. He was planning on coming back this year and competing with everyone else. Everyone starts with the same score "Zero" and they earn every point they get. He was hoping they would let him compete this year but he also knows what politics are capable of .
No other RC competition I know of has a limit to how many times 1 person can win it. The King 50 was the only real 3D competition in the US. Lots of People came to see the top guys competing in it. I just wonder if the new rule won't actually hurt what the King 50 was becoming. Lots of ways this could of been handled, Pro Class, Amateur class, etc. If politics and a few people with personal agendas hadn't intervened the King 50 had the possibility of becoming a world class event.
Now it will be remembered by " If you can't win it with a radio in your hands, then --- well you can fill in the blanks.
exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony7820 View Post
I like the Pro, Amateur, class idea. You qualify and so many points puts you in pro, amateur, and beginner. That way EVERYONE can compete and there will be more entry fee incomes, everyone will have a chance to fly with the "best" and it can become something "big". I can see the FLI events producing something like this...We will see.

But that being said....when Joe won his first King 50, no one "expected" him to win, he put a lot of time and effort into it, and beat some of the top guys that were expected to win. So really anyone could win King 50 if they put the time and effort into it, Joe is just really good.

and exactly!

having the differnt classes could only be for the better. not only would it attract more interest to the contest and FLI but to 3d in general.
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:42 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
exactly!

and exactly!

having the differnt classes could only be for the better. not only would it attract more interest to the contest and FLI but to 3d in general.
There are lots of ways to build on the original concept.
Adding a 100cc class would even bring in more competitors. Different classes would of been a easy way to keep building the event. Maybe someone with vision of what the king50 could of become will start a new 3D contest. Instead of the route that was taken.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:49 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
Now it (King 50) will be remembered by " If you can't win it with a radio in your hands, then --- well you can fill in the blanks.
Here's the bottom line...they just killed it. The Huckfest is dying. Ohh well.

Also, I doubt the King 50 will be in Ohio. the nighthawks guys seem to think it will be...but I doubt it. (I'm not taking away anything from the Nighthawk's guys...they throw a great event and work really hard...even the main dude running things in Youngstown for the Huckfest mentioned on FG to not judge the club..they've worked really hard to make the Ohio huckfest great for the last 2 years)

No matter where it is, it's going to be lame (not becauase of the contestents/pilots)...it wasn't run well last year..a lot of people noticed. It's a shame because with a little more effort, it could have been amazing.

Here's the thing...things change...and it's up to you to improve things. I'm a little disappointed that Keith (Wedgewing) and I worked rather hard to get the Ohio Huckfest to Youngtown...and the event is dying...but I'm excited about new things this year.
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:08 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,507 Posts
Wow....it sure would've been cool to see a k50 amateur with a k100 pro class....but that would also take a lot of flight line time I suppose....but would be an amazing event.
Bivens is online now Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:15 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,174 Posts
ugg politics... tics,suck the life out of everything. I can see both sides tho.They may be scared folk wont compete if Joe does because he is so good. Joe is a freak of nature when it comes to 3D. How he keeps orientation on his planes just memorizing to me. But all the time he puts in to his skill set is no joke. So the other side is why not let him compete.(its what folks want to see anyhow) and let him earn the awards he worked for? politics. 2 sides to every gig. Sad to always seem to have so much drama in a hobby thats supposed to be a release from drama and the reality and stresses of work,etc.
That said,guess what is in for upgrades??
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1